• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn Drew, I wanna drink the hell outta those. Looks so good. No Mojito fixins, but I'm gonna run up to the store for some Mexi Coke, limes and rum right now! INSPIRED.

Grocery stores often sell fresh mint leaves, too. I would be tempted to buy some now that my fresh supply is gone for the winter, but I don't usually go for mojitos once the weather's cold.

On a sidenote, making 'em properly really does produce a much better drink. Half the lime, quarter the half, dump those in the glass. Add regular old granulated sugar and mint leaves, and muddle all that together. Then add a rum (aged is better than white IMO), and a lot of crushed ice. Then a LITTLE seltzer to top it off.

You get a more complex lime flavor (with the oils in the peels), better extraction on the mint since the rough sugar grinds up the leaves better than fine sugar or syrup, and the crushed ice changes the dilution and keeps it cold.

Yes, it's a pain ********** to make it that way. But it's a really drastic difference IMO.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Damn Drew, I wanna drink the hell outta those. Looks so good. No Mojito fixins, but I'm gonna run up to the store for some Mexi Coke, limes and rum right now! INSPIRED.

what rum did you end up buying?

btw I agree that dark rum and coke doesn't really benefit from lime, but two things about that - with a good dark rum and sugar cane Coke, it'll end up really, really sweet - way sweeter than almost anything I'd normally drink. Also, I was building that Cuba Libre on white rum with the lime to smooth it out and then added a bit of the dark rum just to meld with the caramels of the Coke and add a bit of depth - really tasty, going to make that my standard rum n coke now, it's about half a tart Mexican lime, 75cl white, 75cl dark, built up with ice and then you top the remaining 1/3rd - 1/4th of the glass or so with Coke, probably no more than 100cL of Coke, it's not a weak one. The lime comes through, but the dark rum shot keeps the drink from tasting like a simple two pour drink that only tastes of alcohol.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anchor Summer right now, November 1st - still warm over here, and it's been one hell of a summer for me.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it's about half a tart Mexican lime, 75cl white, 75cl dark, built up with ice and then you top the remaining 1/3rd - 1/4th of the glass or so with Coke, probably no more than 100cL of Coke, it's not a weak one.

First of all, I guess you mean ml not cl, else you would drink like two bottles of rum. :slayer:
Secondly, that really is some strong stuff. You use 1.5:1 rum cola? With white rum & limes I use 2:1 cola rum and that really is strong enough (and gets one drunk quickly enough). With dark rum I only need 5:1 cola rum.

By the way, the whole cl/oz cm/inch stuff gets me really confused.
I probably could google it but I think some of you might know it. Why do e.g. Americans use inch and not cm, but mm? Why oz instead of cl, but ml? Seems like they don't like hundredth, but then again, why do they have cents?

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lol yeah good catch - still not doing metric after all these years :foo:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

First of all, I guess you mean ml not cl, else you would drink like two bottles of rum. :slayer:
Secondly, that really is some strong stuff. You use 1.5:1 rum cola? With white rum & limes I use 2:1 cola rum and that really is strong enough (and gets one drunk quickly enough). With dark rum I only need 5:1 cola rum.
By the way, the whole cl/oz cm/inch stuff gets me really confused.
I probably could google it but I think some of you might know it. Why do e.g. Americans use inch and not cm, but mm? Why oz instead of cl, but ml? Seems like they don't like hundredth, but then again, why do they have cents?

i used a jigger to count my shots, but not the Coke, but I figured it was about 100mL since I was using a big juice glass, a bit bigger than a highball - two 75mL jiggers and then when I topped with Coke from the little 180mL glass bottle I ended up with half a bottle of Coke still.

your second question, I just figure that Americans like mm because they're nice small even units - if we move around fractions of an inch we have to keep multiplying and dividing the denominator, I r sucks at math, so I use mm's and mL, inches, ounces and kilos, and fahrenheit in my daily life.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
just made one again, since you said it sounded strong - and yeah, lol, it is strong. I guess I was deep in the liquor cabinet last night. Still very drinkable - it's strong by Japanese mixing standards I guess, but if you compared it to an American bar where the drinks are so stiff that they are just pouring you liquor and then tint it with Coke and throw a limp citrus slice in there, I guess it'd not be too bad.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 mm = 1cm whereas 25.4mm = 1 inch
100 cm = 1m and 39.37 inch = 1m

10 ml = 1cl whereas 29.57 ml (even different in the UK and US...)= 1oz
10 cl = 1l and 33.81 oz = 1l

Just seems way more complicated.
At least 100 cents = 1 dollar. Simple.

Here in Germany, there are also many barkeepers who seem to think that they do us a favor by pouring in the double amount of rum or gin. They don't.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I seem to drink at a lot of airport bars I guess, now that I realize it, and it's pretty much the same at those places, more than anywhere else - they don't give a **** about the bar, so they shout you doubles or triples on every pour and think club soda and Coke are the least important things in the glass, and pour it that way. :lol:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20cl coke, 4cl Havana 7, 2cl Havana 3. Doesn't taste that good without limes. Added some limes - much better! Not sure whether I'll try out your strong mix - maybe I will, but first I need to get a new bottle of Havana 7.

Edit: Now, after enjoying the drink and letting the résumé evolve in my mind, I think it's a great mix. I love the sweetness and roundness of dark rum, the much more harmonic taste. The white rum however also has it's advantages in it's roughness and more strong/direct/pungent taste (at least that's my opinion with my little experience). If one wants a sweet, more soft, rich, desert-like drink - choose plain dark rum. A fresh and complex taste - dark & white rum plus limes. Better than just white rum & limes, indeed.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
much love to Tohoku

307826_10100464529765580_15904009_53379566_953096848_n.jpg

DC101

Reaction score
denning, please give the recipe you use and volume amounts. also i'm assuming the use of creme de violette? living in ohio i have not been able to locate but found a bottle on line and will be ordering shortly. much thanks

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grocery stores often sell fresh mint leaves, too. I would be tempted to buy some now that my fresh supply is gone for the winter, but I don't usually go for mojitos once the weather's cold.

I live in SoCal, so mint grows here year-round easily... Allows me to imbibe in traditionally summer-type drinks whenever as well. I often scratch that itch w/ a marg, mojito, or negroni. I will def be trying your recipe. Thanks.

what rum did you end up buying?

Only had time for one stop and was not impressed with the rum selection. Ended up just grabbing a bottle of Woodford Reserve and combining in a highball w/ muddled mint leaves, lime, my buddy's homemade fresh ginger syrup and soda water on top of crushed ice. Was mighty fine.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little bit of beer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads