• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy to take recs! This was admittedly a throwaway buy at the market. I'd had their blanco some time back. Was enjoyable enough that I didn't feel dreadful (it was semi-agreeably priced, admittedly) about giving it a shot.

Will likely be a few months before I pay much mind to building up the tequila stores.
Are you looked for aged expressions? (i see you drinking mostly anejos, and scotch I think?)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but enjoy the spirit often. I’ve found for me, when enjoying it straight, I much prefer blancos. Again for me, reposados are great mixed (and sometimes straight), but anejos just don’t seem to bring me the same joy as the higher octane blancos, which I have posted several of here. Thus far, I’ve really enjoyed the Don Fulano Fruerte, Fortaleza Still Strength, Volans Still Strength, and the slightly rougher, but I really dig it, Tapatio 110.
I'll keep an eye out for powerful blancos. They're not at all common, from what I've seen.

I'm admittedly more of a scotch guy, so tend to lean toward anejos. Not anti-Blancos, but bottlings at 40% tend to all feel a bit indistinguishable from each other. Seeing a high proof Ocho blanco (regrettably not cheap haha), any experience with it?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for powerful blancos. They're not at all common, from what I've seen.

I'm admittedly more of a scotch guy, so tend to lean toward anejos. Not anti-Blancos, but bottlings at 40% tend to all feel a bit indistinguishable from each other. Seeing a high proof Ocho blanco (regrettably not cheap haha), any experience with it?
Ocho 'Puntas' - probably what you saw is great.

Top high proof blancos off the top are probably:
Fortaleza Still Strength ('SS')
Ocho Puntas (very hard to find at retail/msrp)
Wild Common Still Strength / Siembra Valles High proof (same distillery)
Volans Still Strength / G4 108 / Terralta 110 (all made at same distillery, just different labels)
Don Fulano Fuerte (or High proof, same thing)

Anejos/XAs-
Barrel forward:
Tears of LLorna - aged liek 4-5 years, used Sherry/Brandy/Scotch casks
Tapatio Excelencia - aged like 5 years + 6 in bottle
123 'Tres' - uses new french oak, 18 months i think

Agave Forward-
Caschauin Extra Anejo (good luck finding it in the states)
G4 Extra Anejo
Ocho Extra Anejo
EL Tesoro Extra Anejo

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last Night: Laphroiag 10.

IMG_5866.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ocho 'Puntas' - probably what you saw is great.

Top high proof blancos off the top are probably:
Fortaleza Still Strength ('SS')
Ocho Puntas (very hard to find at retail/msrp)
Wild Common Still Strength / Siembra Valles High proof (same distillery)
Volans Still Strength / G4 108 / Terralta 110 (all made at same distillery, just different labels)
Don Fulano Fuerte (or High proof, same thing)

Anejos/XAs-
Barrel forward:
Tears of LLorna - aged liek 4-5 years, used Sherry/Brandy/Scotch casks
Tapatio Excelencia - aged like 5 years + 6 in bottle
123 'Tres' - uses new french oak, 18 months i think

Agave Forward-
Caschauin Extra Anejo (good luck finding it in the states)
G4 Extra Anejo
Ocho Extra Anejo
EL Tesoro Extra Anejo
Indeed it was the Puntas. Big Ocho fan, so (painful price point aside) I have faith there. I'll keep an eye out for the above. On the EA front, I have a Dulce Vida and El Cristiano bottle currently, both of which I really enjoy.

El Tesoro's EA is lovely. Nothing but positive experiences with them, including their Mundial series. I'm eyeing their Bookers aged EA (speaking of painful price points!) for future purchases. Maybe for a birthday.
last Night: Laphroiag 10.

View attachment 2159823
Laph was (much to my wallet's chagrin) my entry point into the world of scotch. Will always hold a special place.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed it was the Puntas. Big Ocho fan, so (painful price point aside) I have faith there. I'll keep an eye out for the above. On the EA front, I have a Dulce Vida and El Cristiano bottle currently, both of which I really enjoy.

El Tesoro's EA is lovely. Nothing but positive experiences with them, including their Mundial series. I'm eyeing their Bookers aged EA (speaking of painful price points!) for future purchases. Maybe for a birthday.
How much were they charging? Puntas MSRP is ~$70

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. Ummmmmmm, not $70 lol. Please DM your source at that cost.

Oh, also, thoughts on Cazcanes? I've heard very good things from tequila people.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh wow. Ummmmmmm, not $70 lol. Please DM your source at that cost.

Oh, also, thoughts on Cazcanes? I've heard very good things from tequila people.
Place where I got it is gone- everywhere sells out first day (and it’s only produced once a year, hence the vintage designation), so the only places left are the price gougers.

Cazcanes is good, if a bit expensive. Be aware that they have ‘levels’ for each expressions blanco 7 vs blanco 9 vs 10 (it’s the same, just different ABV - 40 vs 50 vs 54)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
70cL bottles? You buying stuff overseas now?
So, US legalized 70cl bottles last year - lots of IBs are just doing those now (easier to only use one format).

But yes, this was from overseas. Bunna 18 is weird and is $300-$400 in my area, but overseas is like $140 (no VAT, good exchange rate etc), so even with expensive shipping it’s like 40% off.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my local favorites. There are four breweries within an easy walk from home, and this one’s my favorite.

Finkel & Garf Red IPA while watching my hometown side battle my local one.

IMG_6253.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads