• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some high quality brands that are not very popular?

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hi all,

The following is my opinions so don't fight it, but remain with the topic at hand!

Some brands are pretty recognizable in an average group of people such as Armani, Gucci, Versace, Boss, D&G, Prada, CK, RL, etc. Some brands are less recognizable if you were to ask randoms such as Belvest, Brooks Brothers, Ike Behar, Talbot, Canali, Corneliani, etc.

What are some brands that are unpopular and less recognizable, but are just as high quality, pleasing to the eye, and often in the same price range as other high quality brands?

Reason I am asking is because someone can go on Ebay and look up Armani or the like, and it will be relatively expensive because it is a popular brand and there is a higher demand for it, compared to lets say BB.

What are some other brands that are less "popular", but just as good (or better) than many of the common place higher tier brands? eliteness

I am not talking as much here about the really higher end-stuff (although maybe I mentioned some earlier) such as Kiton/Brioni/Oxxford that are basically unknown to the rabble because of their.

Thanks!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people (in the US) know Brooks Brothers so it's quite "popular".

It depends on what you're looking for too.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Samuelsohn.

Suits and coats that are branded with a store name and not a makers name. But do your research and find out who the maker is. Neiman Marcus, Barneys and Saks come to mind as stores where you might get a better deal on their "House Brand" than with the makers label.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Well I doubt very much that "most" people in the US know what BB is, but, regardless, thats just one of the brand.

As for teaching me how to find a deal, I'm sure finding a deal is a bit more complicated than simply knowing a brand. I think this would be helpful for shopping, but also just for my general knowledge!

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Samuelsohn.

Suits and coats that are branded with a store name and not a makers name. But do your research and find out who the maker is. Neiman Marcus, Barneys and Saks come to mind as stores where you might get a better deal on their "House Brand" than with the makers label.

Good one. Southwick as well. I would say Hickey Freeman and HSM are not really well known and they are good quality.

I would be surprised if your average man on the street even knew allen edmonds, bally, grenson, or loake.

A little more specificity in terms of what you are looking for could be helpful.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sartorio.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds and Alden.

Edit- Also some UK brands like Hackett, Thomas Pink, John Smedley,...

greyinla

Reaction score
Reason I am asking is because someone can go on Ebay and look up Armani or the like, and it will be relatively expensive because it is a popular brand and there is a higher demand for it, compared to lets say BB

There are no secret bargains on ebay; in fact, many lesser-known, high-quality brands will sell at a premium. And those brands you mentioned vary in quality from utter crap to excellent. If you're looking to score a deal, better to educate yourself on a few specific brands you like and their readily available price points so that you can judge whether a *particular* item is a deal or not, based on your needs, budget, and tastes. For example, you might see pair of AEs for around $150 and C&Js for $350. Which is a good deal? A case could be made for either, neither, or both.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I can tell you what ISN'T quality: Brooks Brothers. I went on a Brooks Brothers kick for a while, bought a ton of their stuff - sweaters, suits, ties, cufflinks, shirts, etc. The only thing that lasted more than a year was the cufflinks and ties (their ties are only ok though). One of the shirts was okay as well. The sweaters are garbage, I can post pictures of their "Scottish Wool" sweaters where I had multiple holes after wearing for less than 12 months. I bought 8 of those $300 cashmere or scottish wool sweaters. Every single one of those pieces of garbage was completely worn out, lost its shape and became a rag for my garage within months. Unacceptable. You could get better quality at Walmart.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linux_pro
I can tell you what ISN'T quality: Brooks Brothers. I went on a Brooks Brothers kick for a while, bought a ton of their stuff - sweaters, suits, ties, cufflinks, shirts, etc. The only thing that lasted more than a year was the cufflinks and ties (their ties are only ok though). One of the shirts was okay as well. The sweaters are garbage, I can post pictures of their "Scottish Wool" sweaters where I had multiple holes after wearing for less than 12 months. I bought 8 of those $300 cashmere or scottish wool sweaters. Every single one of those pieces of garbage was completely worn out, lost its shape and became a rag for my garage within months. Unacceptable. You could get better quality at Walmart.

Are you sure that you do take a good care of them? I am not a fan of BB, but I do have some items from BB that I like and they hold up quite well (1 cashmere sweater, 1 lambswool sweater, and shoes).

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
secret to get good things on ebay:

- be patient

I agree 100%. There are some very good bargains to be had on ebay but you must be patient and careful when shopping for high end clothing.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Are you sure that you do take a good care of them? I am not a fan of BB, but I do have some items from BB that I like and they hold up quite well (1 cashmere sweater, 1 lambswool sweater, and shoes).

Yeah, I took care of the sweaters. Never dry cleaned, never leaned on the shoulders, hand-cleaned only when necessary, dried flat or rolled in towel, never hung in a closet and only stored in cedar shelves.

Your BB lambswool must be older. I have a vintage BB lambswool (about 15 years old, inherited from father) that has held up quite well. The newer stuff is garbage. Fabric is extremely thin, and wears out quickly.

In contrast, my other lambswool sweaters, and the few Irish knits that I own have held up extremely well, they look new. And most of them are a lot older than the BB junk.

I'll say this, though: BB polos (the American-made ones, not the Chinese junk they started hawking a few years ago) are very well made and hold up very well. And their ties are okay. The slim-fit shirts I bought there have held up fairly well.

But if you'd like, I could post pics of some of the BB sweaters I'm talking about. There are freaking holes in the waistbands, elbows, all over the place. They're just extremely cheaply made and of terrible quality. I will never buy another sweater from BB. For half the price, you can order an Irish hand-knit sweater online that will last you 20 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads