• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are 3-5 staple suits?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear suits to work, it is good to remember that the smaller your lineup, the less distinctive the suits should be. This allows you the greatest flexibility if a couple of suits need to go out to the cleaners, etc., because it won't be as noticeable that you are wearing the same suit more than once in a week.

For a business suit lineup, I'd go with the same kind of items as drizz. I'd get the following suits in the following order:

1. Solid navy
2. Solid charcoal
3. Navy or charcoal gray pinstripe (or both)
4. Any medium gray (solid, pinstripe, or glen plaid)
5. A variation of cut and pattern on your favorite one of the above--that is, if you like navy and have a 3B solid navy, get a 2B navy herringbone or nailhead. Or if one of your pinstripes is a wide spaced stripe, get a narrow spaced one.

If you need heavier suits for winter, I'd change these priorities to make the fourth and fifth suits be a plain medium gray flannel and either a navy or dark gray chalkstripe flannel.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
One of our semi-retired posters once said that he tried to order a black suit for just this purpose on Savile Row and the salesman steered him to an Oxford grey-- nearly black but with just a hint of surface interest. "You'll thank me later, sir." And he did.
In the Victorian era there were strict protocols about wearing black and how long a widow had to wear black afterwards etc etc. The were even stores which sold jewelry, black edged pocket squares, bespoke funeral attire etc just for the purpose. Interestingly, in Japan black is still absolutely de rigeur at funerals - any other colour and it might as well be hot pink. If you see a funeral there everyone wears black - friends, family, young and old - right down to the socks. I wonder when all of that tradition fell by the wayside.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
In the Victorian era there were strict protocols about wearing black and how long a widow had to wear black afterwards etc etc. The were even stores which sold jewelry, black edged pocket squares, bespoke funeral attire etc just for the purpose. Interestingly, in Japan black is still absolutely de rigeur at funerals - any other colour and it might as well be hot pink. If you see a funeral there everyone wears black - friends, family, young and old - right down to the socks.

I wonder when all of that tradition fell by the wayside.

In Judaism, there are still strict customs that are adhered to. The only thing that has changed a bit is that, traditionally, the bereaved ripped their clothes and wore those ripped clothes for the next week; today, less orthodox mourners wear a ripped black ribbon on their clothes to represent ripped clothing. Still, though, the bereaved do not attend parties or other celebrations, do not shave or cut their hair, and do not listen to music for 30 days.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
In the Victorian era there were strict protocols about wearing black and how long a widow had to wear black afterwards etc etc. The were even stores which sold jewelry, black edged pocket squares, bespoke funeral attire etc just for the purpose. Interestingly, in Japan black is still absolutely de rigeur at funerals - any other colour and it might as well be hot pink. If you see a funeral there everyone wears black - friends, family, young and old - right down to the socks. I wonder when all of that tradition fell by the wayside.
Jewelry made out of the deceased's hair was often worn as mourning jewelry as were jewels that had the names of the deceased engraved. Dark tortoise-shell was also favored as a luxury material for mourning items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads