• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are 3-5 staple suits?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing a good number of you have many, many suits. However, what would you say are the absolute essentials?

Right now I have just two: a navy 3-button with a subtle herringbone pattern, and a charcoal pinstripe 2-button, and I am looking for one more.

I suppose I should have a black one for inevitable funerals? What else is a black suit good for, opera?

Is a prince of wales check/ windowpane pattern an essential #4? Would you get brown before a black? Tan/khaki? Do you vary the cuts as well, i.e. have one or two slim fitting suits to round out traditional cuts?

1159[1].gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I'm guessing a good number of you have many, many suits. However, what would you say are the absolute essentials?

Right now I have just two: a navy 3-button with a subtle herringbone pattern, and a charcoal pinstripe 2-button, and I am looking for one more.

I suppose I should have a black one for inevitable funerals? What else is a black suit good for, opera?

Is a prince of wales check/ windowpane pattern an essential #4? Would you get brown before a black? Tan/khaki? Do you vary the cuts as well, i.e. have one or two slim fitting suits to round out traditional cuts?

If it suits you, stick with the silhouette that you're already wearing.

Depending on the level of formality in your life, your third should probably be a pin stripe. A "Friday" suit like a glen check or a tan is usually best as a fifth or sixth suit. But if you work in a casual world, you might want the Friday suits sooner rather than later. You may be interested in this essay: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...n-suburbs.html

No-one needs a black suit as part of their basic rotation. If you want one for clubbing, OK, but even there you'll be better served with dark blue. Black washes out most complexions during the day and doesn't combine with other colors as gracefully as tan, gray and navy.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First 4 should be solid navy solid charcoal navy pinstripe charcoal pinstripe IMO.

Next I'd go:

Solid Dark Medium Grey
Solid Light Medium Grey
Grey Glen Plaid
Grey Pinstripe

After you have those 8, maybe get a tan cotton suit for summer, and then probably double up on one of the staples.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
No-one needs a black suit as part of their basic rotation. If you want one for clubbing, OK, but even there you'll be better served with dark blue. Black washes out most complexions during the day and doesn't combine with other colors as gracefully as tan, gray and navy.
I agree totally. Perhaps as the thirteenth suit in the wardrobe it might be worth considering. Black does make most complexions look pale and pasty. Women like this because it has an effect similar to makeup. In the late Victorian era they also loved pale complexions and black clothes. Some even took arsenic to enhance the fashionable pale look.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I was starting over from scratch my first five would probably be: dark blue birdseye, grey birdseye, grey flannel, mid-grey sharkskin, large scale brown birdseye woolen (flannel finish.)

horton

Reaction score
Not sure it ever attained "rule of thumb" status but I recall something to the effect that if the suit is to be worn more during the day to use a lighter color, and at night or much more formal occassions a lighter one. Thus, while I have navy and other darker tones, I usually wear my lighter (not light -- just lighter than navy) more frequently. Same with the grays.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I would have never guessed black was so far down the list. Isn't it the "most" appropriate color to wear to a funeral though? Considering how many of you like to always dress the most appropriately as possible. So you just wear navy to a funeral? Or do you think a funeral is such a rare occurrence that you just don't factor it in.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I recall something to the effect that if the suit is to be worn more during the day to use a lighter color, and at night or much more formal occassions a lighter one.

I totally agree
tounge.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say a 3 staple suit is more conservative.

Leave those 5 staple suits to NBA draftees.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I would have never guessed black was so far down the list. Isn't it the "most" appropriate color to wear to a funeral though? Considering how many of you like to always dress the most appropriately as possible. So you just wear navy to a funeral? Or do you think a funeral is such a rare occurrence that you just don't factor it in.

For funerals, charcoal is right up there with black.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One of our semi-retired posters once said that he tried to order a black suit for just this purpose on Savile Row and the salesman steered him to an Oxford grey-- nearly black but with just a hint of surface interest. "You'll thank me later, sir." And he did.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that I have only been to one funural in the past 18 years or so. I wouldn't get a suit specifically for funurals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads