• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If this guy can't make a living making $4k suits, how is Ercole in business so long charging only ~$2k?

I think a large part of it is that Ercole owns the building him and his tailors work out of. Plus, close to zero marketing.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also not accurate because it assumes that all OTR suits are fused. Or that no MTM suits are fused. Both are dangerous and misleading assumptions.

You're right, but most sub-$1k RTW suits are fused (I know there are plenty that aren't, but just saying, MOST), and I'd guess at least much higher share of $1-2k MTM suits are at least half-canvassed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My understanding, as a long-time bespoke customer who has patronised quite a few SR tailors, is that ET is right and you are mistaken. To share but one example, when Mahon cut at Anderson, and was a partner at Steed, he did not travel to the U.S. to meet customers he routinely cut for (invalidating your claim that the vaunted 'rock of eye' requires a more involved fitting process with the original cutter.)

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you for the correction. I'll have to rethink my understanding of this a bit more.

And as Eustace has correctly noted, all the other big SR tailors also send their cutters on these trips, negating the idea that a block or draft-based system somehow makes the fittings easier.

Just to clarify, my point wasn't that block or draft-based systems necessarily meant that clients didn't benefit from cutters being at the fittings. My point was only that if you were going to use someone at the front of the house, it would be better if the patterns were made from these systems rather than freehand. However, given your first comment above, I may be wrong about the whole matter in any case.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think I would want to buy a $4,000 suit to wear just for the office or oother events. The truth is, if given a choice to buy a bespoke suit for $4,000 and a suit in retail for $800..people will hands down choose the lesser priced suit..lesser price BUT of similar quality as a fine bespoke suit.

Only losers would buy $800 suits.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think I would want to buy a $4,000 suit to wear just for the office or oother events. The truth is, if given a choice to buy a bespoke suit for $4,000 and a suit in retail for $800..people will hands down choose the lesser priced suit..lesser price BUT of similar quality as a fine bespoke suit.

Where are you finding these $800 suits that are of "similar quality to fine bespoke suits"? Sure maybe the Brioni suits at C21 when they are having their clearance, but if you are saying suits that retail at $800 can be compared to a bespoke maker like Steed (i chose this because they are give or take around the 4k mark for a 3 piece) then i want some of what you are smoking....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Macallan

Reaction score
If the $800 suit is a better fit then the $4k bespoke suit, then fine; however, to compare a bog-standard rtw suit to a proper bespoke suit is silly. The person has properly never seen a proper bespoke in the flesh, let-alone own a bespoke suit.

I do disagree with Dave's opinion about so-called losers, just because a suit costs $800 does not mean it is a bad suit.

gsugsu

Reaction score

If the $800 suit is a better fit then the $4k bespoke suit, then fine; however, to compare a bog-standard rtw suit to a proper bespoke suit is silly. The person has properly never seen a proper bespoke in the flesh, let-alone own a bespoke suit.
I do disagree with Dave's opinion about so-called losers, just because a suit costs $800 does not mean it is a bad suit.

+1Hopefully the discourse here does not follow the path of the "Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes" thread.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawson-james