• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight Loss/Weight training advise

Floridaboy814

Reaction score
I'm "6'1" 336lbs, I recently started dieting and exercising (Eating clean and jogging) I would like to get down to about 250lbs but I would also like to gain muscle mass/definition. Is that possible?? I'm open to any suggestions/opinions

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't that be possible? (Though most definition will appear after dozens of pounds are gone.) Just lift weights a few times each week. Without that, the improved diet and jogging probably will lead to muscle being lost along with the fat. Also, sleep enough and take multivitamins to help metabolism.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get enough protein also. Main things to focus on are diet and weight training. Cardio isn't as important as those 2 items if you're trying to gain muscle mass and definition while also losing weight.

JRgent

Reaction score
I'd recommend throwing in some weekly interval sprints once you have a decent programme/routine. High Intensity Interval training will cut fat, increase fitness dramatically and will aid in muscle growth. Just make sure you do a decent warm-up first as they're brutal!

billsayers

Reaction score
The benefits of muscles is that it burns more calories and helps your metabolism even when you are at rest.
I would advise you to focus primarily on eating right and lifting weights.
Mix in running once in a while but prioritize strength training.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I exercised for years (decades?) in this priority:
Cardio (steady state) > strength training (kettlebells, pull-ups, dips) > diet. I was in good shape (no gut, some muscle) for my age but nothing noteworthy.

When I reversed the priority and changed it to the most effective method I could implement for each area:

Diet (8 hour diet/IF) > strength (big 3 barbell exercises) > cardio (HIT).

I became much leaner and stronger (though not larger as it wasn't really a mass building protocol) in months and people start commenting on my appearance as being fit or built. So I support what was posted above on my own experience.

The leap for me was shifting to what I liked to do vs. what was more effective to do.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardio (steady state) > strength training (kettlebells, pull-ups, dips) > diet. I was in good shape (no gut, some muscle) for my age but nothing noteworthy.

When I reversed the priority and changed it to the most effective method I could implement for each area:

I became much leaner and stronger (though not larger as it wasn't really a mass building protocol) in months and people start commenting on my appearance as being fit or built. So I support what was posted above on my own experience.

The leap for me was shifting to what I liked to do vs. what was more effective to do.

Plus 16,312...

I'm down 17 pounds so far this year (from 205 to 188, @ 6'0" tall) and am aiming for another 17. My focus is primarily on the strength side, though I really enjoy the cardio, so I'm still cycling, running and swimming a few times per week. My primary goal is to climb my hardest routes ever, which will certainly be more difficult than it was in my early 20s (I climbed my best in 2001 and 2002).

Limiting carbs substantially will be the easiest way to cut calories, as eventually your body and taste buds become accustomed to having less sweets, and when you don't crave them, you won't eat as much. I still allow myself dessert or a beer half of the days of the week, just to keep myself from going crazy on a ketogenic diet...

shabbytraddy

Reaction score

Agreed here, too. And kudos to the OP for such an important lifestyle change.

Body composition is vastly superior to notions of ideal weight. LSD (long slow duration) cardio is a shill, so I'd advise you stop jogging. Plus, that's a lot of stress on a large frame--there's a reason why successful runners are tiny.

If you are looking for general physical preparedness and a reasonably nice standard of fitness, then barbell training, clean eating, water and sleep are your friends. I'd suggest calmly checking out Starting Strength/Mark Rippetoe (i.e. don't dive in like a powerlifter and pack on tons of mass); he has a solid forum with good advice, including nutrition for those not interested in maximizing gains. Get proper coaching and don't hurt yourself. Especially as nutrition/eating goes, compliance is the number one issue, so whichever approach you pick, stick with it and you will have results.

I'd advise saving the HIIT cardio (rower intervals are the best/worst) for a year down the road, when you have plateaued and need a boost to continued weight loss.

Last thing: this hard to achieve for most folks, so just modulate your expectations and play the long game. Good luck.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed here, too. And kudos to the OP for such an important lifestyle change.

Body composition is vastly superior to notions of ideal weight. LSD (long slow duration) cardio is a shill, so I'd advise you stop jogging. Plus, that's a lot of stress on a large frame--there's a reason why successful runners are tiny.

If you are looking for general physical preparedness and a reasonably nice standard of fitness, then barbell training, clean eating, water and sleep are your friends. I'd suggest calmly checking out Starting Strength/Mark Rippetoe (i.e. don't dive in like a powerlifter and pack on tons of mass); he has a solid forum with good advice, including nutrition for those not interested in maximizing gains. Get proper coaching and don't hurt yourself. Especially as nutrition/eating goes, compliance is the number one issue, so whichever approach you pick, stick with it and you will have results.

I'd advise saving the HIIT cardio (rower intervals are the best/worst) for a year down the road, when you have plateaued and need a boost to continued weight loss.

Last thing: this hard to achieve for most folks, so just modulate your expectations and play the long game. Good luck.

The key in your statement is avoiding only doing LSD training. You will still get benefit from doing some cardio. I just finished a 5.3 mile run myself. As part of a properly balanced training regimen, cardio still has its place. Just don't expect it to work miracles by itself.

I'm down a couple more pounds since early July, at 186; and still trying to lose a few more.

shabbytraddy

Reaction score
The key in your statement is avoiding only doing LSD training. You will still get benefit from doing some cardio. I just finished a 5.3 mile run myself. As part of a properly balanced training regimen, cardio still has its place. Just don't expect it to work miracles by itself.

I'm down a couple more pounds since early July, at 186; and still trying to lose a few more.

I agree in theory, but not for the OP in this particular situation. At >300 pounds, any kind of jogging or running will create significant stress on joints, which will only impede his ability to make this lifestyle switch.

Additionally, trying to achieve body recomposition by adding lean body mass (read: barbell training and intelligent nutrition) is at odds with the energy pathways of LSD cardio. If the OP is barbell training 3 days per week, he could conceivably introduce one recovery cardio day, say 20-30 minutes on a bike or a brisk walk; but this is only a means to flushing the system and not calorie burning. As such, it may just annoy him. I'd actually advocate for an easy yoga class one or twice a week instead.

Personally, I'm down ~25 pounds over the past year as I fight back into climbing shape from the peak of my ill-considered foray into powerlifting. Mike, come out to the Gunks sometime and we'll get you scared on run-out roof :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair points re:body weight and stress. I still think some cardio will help. Perhaps swimming or stationary bike rather than running?

As for climbing, I have Eldorado Canyon 25 minutes away. I've got plenty of runout trad climbing to scare me. I did my first trad lead in a very long time a couple of weeks ago. It was a 5.6 established by Layton Kor in the late 1950s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads