• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding in 3 weeks, need some last minute advice

GloryField

Reaction score
I'm having my wedding in late May, it'll be a rustic style wedding at a vineyard in Vermont.

Bride is wearing white dress, bridesmaids coral dresses.

Groomsmen: Charcoal suit, light pink shirt, black shoes, white linen pocket square, orange carnations boutonniere.

For their ties, I bought the red houndstooth, but welcome your thoughts
https://imgur.com/a/JLBimUS

Myself, I'm wearing:

Suit (navy peak lapel singled breasted 2 button, no vest)
https://www.indochino.com/product/kingsbridge-navy-suit

Shirt (white, french cuffs)
https://www.indochino.com/product/helston-white-shirt

Cuff links: either silver knots or white pearl, thoughts?

Boutonniere: either white or red carnation from florist (thoughts on red vs white?)

Pocket Square: I was set on a plain white linen, square fold, but then read a thread that recommended cream silk if wearing white shirt.
https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/hoqe6/pocket_squares_an_alternative_opinion/

Tie: So far I'm choosing between Houndstooth vs Glen plaid, but after I received the glen plaid, i realized it's not brown but more of a maroon color. Not sure if it would work well, because my groomsmen are already wearing red houndstooth ties. The black houndstooth also looks too similar in pattern. So maybe I need to go for something else? I'd like to keep it under $50 if possible.

Shoes: Allen Edmonds Fifth Ave Dark Chili, matching belt

GloryField

Reaction score
Pearls for a man? Doesn’t seem right to me.
thanks. I'll purchase the silver ones.

For boutonniere, red or white

Is cream silk better than white linen pocket square for a white shirt?

Tie for myself, I'll just splurge on a kent wang glen plaid (black/white) and a sam hober gray or silver grenadine, then decide between those 2. I can give the maroon glen plaid to my dad for the wedding. If I wear it and my groomsmen have red houndstooth it would be too similar right?

I'm gonna call AE and see if they can ship a black pair to store and I can go in for an exchange on shoes and belt. They are not worn yet.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Pearls for a man? Doesn’t seem right to me.
I have pearl cufflinks quite a few pairs most are kum-a-parts. Also a pearl handled pocket knife, a 1890-1920 or so pearl handled dagger from Sheffield England, and a set of pearl gun grips for my Colt 1903. Pearl was quite common among men and pearl cufflinks especially

jaxenro

Reaction score
DEE30683-4F54-4C09-9F87-78DDBD915C50.jpeg
44152364-69CE-4397-A9DB-790EDC057F65.jpeg
DEE30683-4F54-4C09-9F87-78DDBD915C50.jpeg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, mother of pearl. Yeah, I have some of those too, they’re great. I though the op meant actual pearls. :confused2:

Edit: I just checked the OP. He did mean actual pearls. I stick with my original answer. :-D

GloryField

Reaction score
Yes I was gonna do actual round pearls, didn't like the flat mother of pearls I saw on etsy so I bought round ones :(

Here's where im at right now:
Groomsmen:
Charcoal suits
white shirt regular cuffs with red houndstooth tie
orange or pink carnation/wildflower boutonniere (bridesmaids wearing coral and fiancee wanted them to match a bit)
white linen pocket square
black shoes/belt

Me:
Suit: Navy indochino
Shirt: White french cuff with silver knot cuff links
Tie: Grenadine grey/light blue from eBay
Boutonniere: White carnation or wildflower
Pocket square: white linen
Shoes: AE Fifth Ave dark chili
Belt: AE dark chili (has small perforations/brogues in it)

I'll be able to receive my suit next week tuesday (sleeves getting tailored right now), and should have time to buy something from kent wang with rush shipping if needed

Thanks for advice guys!

cufflinks.JPG Tie.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads