• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Advice Needed!

awall25

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting married in about 6 weeks at a very small ceremony on the Caribbean coast of Mexico, though not on the beach.

I have most of my clothing for the ceremony selected, but am struggling with what shoes to wear.

I'll be wearing a brown linen suit from Natalino with a navy grenadine tie and either a white or blue and white stripe shirt.
Typically, I'm more into causal dress shoes like suede loafers, but that feels to casual to me for a wedding, since the suit is fairly casual as well. I also go sockless 90+% of the time, but that also feels way too casual.

Where I'm stuck is both on color and style of shoe:
Brown vs. Black (thinking cordovan?)
Oxford vs Blucher vs Loafer

Any opinions are appreciated!! TIA

NatalinoLookbookSS246439.jpg

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Is that you in the photo? You look great in that. Congratulations on the nuptials.

For a brown linen suit on the beach (on actual sand, or just beach?) I feel like loafers are an obvious answer, but if you think they're too casual, then I'd be very tempted to go for a color-8 shell, either as a cap toe / perf toe / medallion toe oxford, or as a plain toe blucher. Probably my favorite option would be the plain toe blucher.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting married in about 6 weeks at a very small ceremony on the Caribbean coast of Mexico, though not on the beach.

I have most of my clothing for the ceremony selected, but am struggling with what shoes to wear.

I'll be wearing a brown linen suit from Natalino with a navy grenadine tie and either a white or blue and white stripe shirt.
Typically, I'm more into causal dress shoes like suede loafers, but that feels to casual to me for a wedding, since the suit is fairly casual as well. I also go sockless 90+% of the time, but that also feels way too casual.

View attachment 2264893
My vote is for cordovan color 8 loafers.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

View attachment 2264893

Dark brown leather loafers with black socks.
Or, if you wan to "go native" these:

Last edited:

awall25

Reaction score
Is that you in the photo? You look great in that. Congratulations on the nuptials.

For a brown linen suit on the beach (on actual sand, or just beach?) I feel like loafers are an obvious answer, but if you think they're too casual, then I'd be very tempted to go for a color-8 shell, either as a cap toe / perf toe / medallion toe oxford, or as a plain toe blucher. Probably my favorite option would be the plain toe blucher.
Thank you!

That’s the brand photo, but hopefully I can look just as good.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I would prefer penny loafers but honestly I think those will probably be just fine for standing on the beach. Yeah maybe a bit informal versus what I prefer but is that really an issue in this case? More for you to decide, I think. Linen, beach wedding, those loafers are not exactly out there and an obvious formality mismatch.

awall25

Reaction score
I would prefer penny loafers but honestly I think those will probably be just fine for standing on the beach. Yeah maybe a bit informal versus what I prefer but is that really an issue in this case? More for you to decide, I think. Linen, beach wedding, those loafers are not exactly out there and an obvious formality mismatch.
You’re saying these shoes are an obvious formality mismatch?

Don’t think it really matters but the wedding is NOT on the beach. It’s at a beach town but the ceremony itself will be at a villa type property with more of a jungle setting.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Oh, I misunderstood. I am saying they're not a huge formality mismatch ... though in the location you describe, I would suggest penny loafers unless you really want the ones you showed above, in which case rock on.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. For a brown linen suit, I'd go with loafers. For your color combination brown or black would both be fine. Fantastic fit on your suit by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhyllisCarroll