• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Shirts with French Cuffs at an Entry Level Job

chrisjr

Reaction score
I'm a tall guy, 6'4", and lean. Harvie & Hudson slim fit shirts are some of the only that fit me very well and are long enough in the sleeve.
Problem is - they offer only french cuffs on their slim fit shirts.
I have enough cufflinks to rock them, but is it a little too flashy to be wearing cufflinks to work every day? I will dress for the job I want and not the job I have, but do not want my supervisors to be giving me a hard time because they think I think I'm a hotshot. Perhaps I could find some cufflinks that are very understated (the ones I currently have are very simple silver ones with my initials, CJR, and some from my great grandfather that are also very simple but gold.

Thoughts?
Oh, and the industry is commercial real estate. Working as a research analyst at one of the top firms based in the states but at the Toronto office. $40k salary.
Cheers,
Chris

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyday? Yeah. Don't know anyone that does that. That's pretty obnoxious of them to do that. Maybe you could try Charles Tyrwhtt as they have several levels of slim shirts (Regular, Slim, Tailored), are reasonably priced (with constant sales) so you can experiment, can be purchases in double or single cuff, and have longer sleeves.

Anyway, as per usual with most things at the work place, if you aren't obnoxious people won't worry too much about your clothes. Sure, they will comment (usually or always positively - to your face) about it, but that comes with dressing well. If you're worried about the cuffs every day still you could always buy some conservative ones that don't draw much attention.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Silk knots

chrisjr

Reaction score

Everyday? Yeah. Don't know anyone that does that. That's pretty obnoxious of them to do that. Maybe you could try Charles Tyrwhtt as they have several levels of slim shirts (Regular, Slim, Tailored), are reasonably priced (with constant sales) so you can experiment, can be purchases in double or single cuff, and have longer sleeves.

Anyway, as per usual with most things at the work place, if you aren't obnoxious people won't worry too much about your clothes. Sure, they will comment (usually or always positively - to your face) about it, but that comes with dressing well. If you're worried about the cuffs every day still you could always buy some conservative ones that don't draw much attention.

Thanks. I'll check out Tyrwhitt - have you got any experience with slim/tailored? Not much avail in tailored fit, 15.5/16 inch neck, 37 inch sleeve. May have to bump up to their slim fit.

Cheers

ar3nbe

Reaction score
Don't really see how the French cuffs will be to dressy.

I think you will be fine.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I'll check out Tyrwhitt - have you got any experience with slim/tailored? Not much avail in tailored fit, 15.5/16 inch neck, 37 inch sleeve. May have to bump up to their slim fit.

Cheers

tailored fit = slim fit + darts. The slim should be more than enough, and I'm personally not a fan of darts.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you must, then silk knots. unless you also wear a tophat/monocle for the job you want

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I don't imagine that would be too bizarre in a commercial real estate office. The salespeople probably dress fairly well. If this was an entry level software engineering position it would be a different story :)

chrisjr

Reaction score
Ended up ordering 5 TM Lewin shirts to hold me over for the first little while (i've got 4 solid work shirts at the moment). I'll let yall know how they pan out/what work folks have to say.

Off topic: I met with the CEO twice before being introduced to the director of office leasing, as I was introduced to him through my family. Would it be appropriate to email him in order to thank him for the help in getting the job, to offer to take him out for lunch, and to remind him that I would be thrilled to work with him on a project as a junior on the team? I know sometimes supervisors get frustrated if they see people going above their heads. Would appreciate your input on this matter, SF.

Cheers

chrisjr

Reaction score
Just to post a quick follow up on this, I started work last Monday and 3 out of 4 of the shirts in my rotation (my TM Lewin shirts are yet to arrive :fu:) are french cuffs - no problems or weird looks. In fact, yesterday at a general meeting where the new recruits were being introduced, i noticed that nearly half the men in the room were wearing french cuffs (granted, they were the more successful/senior half). The only thing that I was worried about was that I was wearing checkered socks and brown wingtips, which were clearly visible as I was not seated at the boardroom table, and everyone else was wearing black socks/conservative shoes. Won't be wearing those again.
Cheers,
Chris

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol *****. I'm wearing purple socks and brown shoes right now. I'm the youngest person in my office by nearly 10 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
FCs are oddly enough a hot button with some guys. I don't know what it is but some guys really seem to not like people in FCs. It's very odd. Guys that wear FCs will like you for wearing them and guys that do not, but have no baggage about, won't really care.

As to that thank you email? I would suggest against. Basically, it sounds like you would be documenting some nepotism/cronyism with the CEO. I would say it's never a good thing to explicitly point that out.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe email him and try to schedule a sit down. When you meet up just thank him again for the opportunity.

chrisjr

Reaction score

Maybe email him and try to schedule a sit down. When you meet up just thank him again for the opportunity.

Yeah. He gave a troop rallying speech at the meeting on Tuesday, so I'll email him and compliment him on it/mention some of the optimistic stats he presented, and give him some feedback on how the first two weeks of my job has been. I've been happily surprised with how well the firm dresses (at least the agents), can't wait to rise to the challenge after I get my first paycheque.

And Pio - yes, I had read on some interview/work prep guides that they had a new recruit coming in wearing french cuffs and was reamed out by the associates and even managing director. Perhaps its a cultural thing between Canada and the US?

Feel free to way in on my suiting decision (see post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/189202/should-i-or-shouldn-t-i-buy-clothing-item/75)

Cheers!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yeah. He gave a troop rallying speech at the meeting on Tuesday, so I'll email him and compliment him on it/mention some of the optimistic stats he presented, and give him some feedback on how the first two weeks of my job has been. I've been happily surprised with how well the firm dresses (at least the agents), can't wait to rise to the challenge after I get my first paycheque.

And Pio - yes, I had read on some interview/work prep guides that they had a new recruit coming in wearing french cuffs and was reamed out by the associates and even managing director. Perhaps its a cultural thing between Canada and the US?

Feel free to way in on my suiting decision (see post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/189202/should-i-or-shouldn-t-i-buy-clothing-item/75)

Cheers!

I do not think so. You must have limited experience with TROC if you think that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads