• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a tie at work when no one else does

kellgy

Reaction score
Unfortunately I out-dress over 90% of my peers when I wear a shirt and trousers that "fit". Wearing nice shoes puts me over the top. Oh well . . . one day I will come in with a tie.

phill

Reaction score
I have worn suits and ties of varying formality just about every day for the last two years. Never seems to be commented upon, but it is important to get the degree of formality right - a business suit does not work for a family BBQ or a walk in the country, but a linen or tweed suit (depending on the weather) with an appropriate tie, or bow tie, looks great and will not make yourself or your companions ill at ease. Similarly, when not at work, you can leave your tie on, and swap your jacket for a cardigan for a nice, smart/casual look

jamiemcp

Reaction score
I wear a tie every day to work, the one day I didn't (have a cold and a swolen throat) it was the one day I needed to. Most of the guys in my office don't except to meetings, so there is a certain amount of taking them on and off.

I agree with the statement earlier dressing well includes fitting in with your surroundings.

I don't always wear a suit to work though, today for instance I'm wearing cotton trousers and a jacket, still look smarter than most of the guys though.

SChudley

Reaction score
I am known as the “stylish” guy in my work place…specifically for sport coats and nice shoes (elementary school) I like to dress well and I feel my students respond favourably to my way of dressing (read: respect!). I am going to experiment with wearing a tie every now and again…because I WANT TO! Currently I wear single colour (black, white, blue) t-shirts under sport jackets with dress shoes…I want to ‘up my fashion level’ wish me luck!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BracesoverBelts