• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch suggestions and advice

rubin749

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a watch in the near future and need a lot of guidance. The watch will essentially be a gift from my grandfather, who died last year, so I want it to be something that is as versatile as possible and that I will keep for the rest of my life. My budget is up to $5,000, with some flexibility. I am only 21 years old, so it needs to be something that is appropriate for a young man. My older brother owns an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, which I like a lot. However, the movement recently required a very expensive repair, so I am now a little wary of automatic movements. Also, I am leaning towards buying a used watch, but wouldn't feel comfortable doing so unless I were very confident about the watch and the seller.

Thanks for your help.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
My Advice is don't spend $5,000 on your first watch. I think you should get your toes wet before you jump in the pool.

leon12

Reaction score
All mechanicals require fairly expensive maintenance about every 5 years.
I wouldn't spend anywhere close to $5K on a non-mechanical.

rubin749

Reaction score
I know that it doesn't make sense to pay 5k for non-mechanical. I am not necessarily planning to spend that much; it's just an upper boundary in case I am persuaded to go for a mechanical watch. That said, I appreciate the advice. To be clear, I would be happy spending a lot less on a nice, versatile, quartz movement watch.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
My Advice is don't spend $5,000 on your first watch. I think you should get your toes wet before you jump in the pool.

+1 - I think you'll find your taste will evolve with time and you may not be happy with your first watch 6months or a year down the road.

I would suggest going to www.timezone.com and browse each brand to see what you like. $5k is a pretty solid budget for a first watch especially if you are considering a used watch.

billiebob

Reaction score
That's quite a budget for a first watch. I never wore a watch before I got an omega seamaster auto as a gift. A friend also enjoys his seamaster chrono immensely. Mine, however, has required two trips to service for regulation in 3 years.

leon12

Reaction score
Omega has a few quartz options and there are some Breitlings as well if that's your thing.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a nice, high end jeweler with a good watch selection. Try on everything you can to get a sense of what looks good on you, what is comfortable in terms of weight and size, what colors and strap styles you like. Spend some time with this. When you have narrowed it down look for a good deal on that watch. Check into reputable on line dealers with lower overhead, or other, more discount places can often order a watch for you at a discount. I think the mark up on many high end watches is pretty high and deals are out there.

supercarl

Reaction score
Have to agree with above - do not go quartz over £300 ($600).

You can get a great first watch for your budget - enjoy
smile.gif

KBW

Reaction score
get a seiko marinemaster for around 2-3K....better watch than a rolex, looks similar, and relative to the others you are looking at is decently cheap. I have 2 breitlings, a Panerai, and an Omega (and 20+ others) and the Seiko gets just as much wrist time. This is your first nice watch so spend the 2K on a Seiko and use the leftover $ to get another watch in the future or for something else.

dave

Reaction score
were I in your situation I would opt for a Panerai 111 or 112. (pause for eye rolling)

-and here's why. They are under your budget, especially used.
-they are both derived from classic designs. just decide if you need a second hand or not (I would say no)
-they look good on people of ALL ages. I had one when i turned 28 and I still love them.
-In my opinion at least, you can wear them in all but the most formal occassions. (though they are tough to fit under shirt cuffs)
-they are manual wind movements based on the tried and true 6497 Unitas so any decent watchmaker in the world can service one and do 99% of the repairs.

my 2cents worth

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go classic and low maintenance. Buy either a Rolex Submariner or an Omega Seamaster. Have Gramps' initials engraved on the back to remind you, and don't plan on opening the case for seven years. In 30 years, you'll be explaining to your boy why you put those initials on his cool "new" watch.

G18C

Reaction score
I suggest this for your first nice watch:

2153469600_0acf24304f_o.jpg

1. high resale value
2. designed for harsh wearing, waterproof, reliable, etc.
3. it's a "Rolex" --Rolex are more like junior exec watches these days to watch people but to the average Joe it's considered a nice watch

I bought many dress watches in my early 20s and now I realize how incompatible my aesthetics and lifestyle were. I think you will do well with a nice sport watch. If you want chronographs, I highly recommend Girard Perregaux and older, early 90s Zenith Primeros.

WorkingClassHero

Reaction score
Buy a vintage American made watch like a Hamilton or a Lord Elgin - they last forever, are easy to repair, keep perfect time and come in many stylish designs. Save your money.

A vintage 1950's Omega is nice too - for under $1000.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not get a couple nice watches for different occasions? I'm thinking an Omega Seamaster or a Breitling Colt...i think they can be had for under $2000. And then something else that's a little dressier.
Or you can get a Cartier Roadster or Tank Francais...I think they can be had for under $5K. I'm sure that the watch afficianados may not like this suggestion but at your age, it will definately get you noticed with the ladies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads