• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watch replica recs

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
Just bringing humor as you guys mash that guy for suggesting something "inane." (don't want to bash him, as I've been the BASHED) So you're not admitting that you have them stashed away under your Lobb box? Go away...and bring me a sandwich.
Ed addresses another point below. But unfortunately, I haven't purchased any Lobbs yet (or their boxes). I look forward to bringing you a sandwich.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You are confusing counterfeiting with pirating, although both are illegal.

It would be like someone taking Lambo tags and sticking them on a Toyota Celica.

Not confusing it..was trying to find humor in a tangential sarcastic way.
Didn't work I guess

manofstyle

Reaction score
If a Chinese factory can replicate Lobbs to 90% of the originals quality for 5% fo the price then good luck to them I would say...

It's different to copying someone else's work and claiming it as your own. Physical goods are just a different ballgame. If a manufacturer can produce something of quality, which is comparable with something else far more expensive, then they are doing a good job. There's a reason no one sells counterfeit Ferraris...

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
If a Chinese factory can replicate Lobbs to 90% of the originals quality for 5% fo the price then good luck to them I would say...

It's different to copying someone else's work and claiming it as your own. Physical goods are just a different ballgame. If a manufacturer can produce something of quality, which is comparable with something else far more expensive, then they are doing a good job. There's a reason no one sells counterfeit Ferraris...

Actually there is a factory in China that was producing Ferrari P4s..and at 10,000 a pop. Ferrari..finally complained about them.

It's getting close...

Don't be worried about India's offshoring of jobs.
Be afraid of China's replicating abilities.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
Actually there is a factory in China that was producing Ferrari P4s..and at 10,000 a pop. Ferrari..finally complained about them. It's getting close... Don't be worried about India's offshoring of jobs. Be afraid of China's replicating abilities.
Are you serious on the Ferraris? Who wants to go in with me and buy a fake ferrari? Pony up boys! Actually I heard a lot of major airlines started to have issues with fake plane parts that somehow got into their inventories. And I heard someone actually faked a whole company (NEC) some time ago. Now go away and get me a ferrari!

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Are you serious on the Ferraris? Who wants to go in with me and buy a fake ferrari? Pony up boys!

Actually I heard a lot of major airlines started to have issues with fake plane parts that somehow got into their inventories. And I heard someone actually faked a whole company (NEC) some time ago. Now go away and get me a ferrari!

Yes. It was in heavy hitters magazine. They also referenced the NEC fake company too. Quite scarey.

I wonder how many people's intolerance of fakes would be tolerant of a 10,000.00
ferrari..

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do what you want. But come on, are these watches just status symbol to you? I think they're more than that. I will be much happier with my military timex (which I own) over any fake IWC rip off.

Originally Posted by suitntieguy
The whole post on the rolex got me thinking I am in need of about 4 more watches. I have one real nice watch but can't justify spending 5K+x4 at this time. But if I can pick up my needs at 150 per until I can drop another 20-40K it would save me the pain of wanting. Does anyone knwo a good reputuble source for replica watches. (not rolex though, like IWC and such)? Thanks

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
You mean like a fake Rolex?

I've bought and even worn the canal street knockoff type things back when I was in High School, which is kind of cool-- but I wouldn't spend more than 30 bucks on something like that (when my GF's father brought me a fake Rolex Sub from Vietnam he paid something like that).

Unless you are trying to impress people with some lame image it seems extremely douchey to me. Why not buy a Seiko or even something like a Marina Militare? There's no shame in wearing what you can afford.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
You mean like a fake Rolex?

I've bought and even worn the canal street knockoff type things back when I was in High School, which is kind of cool-- but I wouldn't spend more than 30 bucks on something like that (when my GF's father brought me a fake Rolex Sub from Vietnam he paid something like that).

Unless you are trying to impress people with some lame image it seems extremely douchey to me. Why not buy a Seiko or even something like a Marina Militare? There's no shame in wearing what you can afford.

Marina Militare?

You know it is a replica of the RXW Marina Militare, which in turn stole the design from Officine Panerai.

You look down on fakes, yet recommend a knock-off of a knock-off. Really?
baldy[1].gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Marina Militare?

You know it is a replica of the RXW Marina Militare, which in turn stole the design from Officine Panerai.

baldy[1].gif

The RXW people argue that their watch is a copy of the 1950s Rolex version, which Panerai subsequently copied. So (they argue) they're both copies of the Rolex
smile.gif

I'm don't think I buy this argument, as they naturally hope to sell these based on the popularity of Panerai.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
baldy[1].gif

Well, for starters, one's illegal, and one is not. That's a pretty significant difference.

hi-val

Reaction score
There's an interesting philosophical argument here that is tangentially related to the Ship of Theseus paradox. If the Chinese, or whoever, can (for the sake of argument) produce exactly the same watch by copying every little detail and machining it correctly, then assembling it correctly, so that it is indistinguishable, does it become real? Similar questions arise in collectible coins and cards. I'm not taking a side here and instead, desperately trying to make my philosophy degree relevant
smile.gif

The other thing to remember is that 99% of people who see your watch will not notice or care what it is. Unless they're an horophile, I doubt they'd even recognize it unless it was something obvious like a Sub or GMT. Because of this, I'd suggest that you buy a watch that you like, that looks good from a distance. Don't buy because of the name on the face, buy for quality and appearance.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
There's an interesting philosophical argument here that is tangentially related to the Ship of Theseus paradox. If the Chinese, or whoever, can (for the sake of argument) produce exactly the same watch by copying every little detail and machining it correctly, then assembling it correctly, so that it is indistinguishable, does it become real? Similar questions arise in collectible coins and cards. I'm not taking a side here and instead, desperately trying to make my philosophy degree relevant
smile.gif

The other thing to remember is that 99% of people who see your watch will not notice or care what it is. Unless they're an horophile, I doubt they'd even recognize it unless it was something obvious like a Sub or GMT. Because of this, I'd suggest that you buy a watch that you like, that looks good from a distance. Don't buy because of the name on the face, buy for quality and appearance.

Well it's a real watch but it's not a real Rolex because it's not made by Rolex. A Rolex watch is made by Rolex right? I don't think that paradox applies here but what do you think philosophically about the human body and how most of the body is replaced each year, everything, the cells, even down to the atomic level?
alien.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well,

having lived for years in the city where Rolexes, Patek Phillipes etc are made I can tell you this.

Rolex watches as Patek Phillipe are expensive for 3 reasons.

1. They employ the most advanced micromecanis techniques and the best materials.
2. They are built buy workers living on one of the most expensive cities on earth.
3. They have a prestige name one century old.

Replica watches are cheap because

1. They employ lower quality mechanics and materials
2. They are built by workers in china earning less than $100 per month

I agree that the swiss prestige made watches are a high value on themselves

The techniques and materials employed are superior quality than the others.

However there are some replicas made with high quality movements and materials. Movements made in Italy and even in Switzerland.

I think when you buy a Rolex you pay for

1. The high quality of the watch itself
2. The maintenance and survival of the high quality clockmaking industry
3. The prestige linked to the brand

I have seen highest quality replicas that sell for around $500 a replica of a watch Rolex watch costing $6000.

You could say both are close in terms of quality and materials.

But I would never wear a replica.

I can afford the real rolex, but I think it is not worth for me to put $6000 on a watch, I use my money for other things.

I prefer to carry a high quality watch costing $500, than a high quality replica costing the same.

I don't like this posseur thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads