• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vitamin Water.. yay or nay?

SamIam33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
To me, it's just another sugar-based drink. Not to be confused with healthy.

It tastes pretty good, but if I'm going to drink something sugary, I'll choose something else.

I hate how it has become trendy around here to keep a bottle on you at all times....

Yeah, that's how I feel. I would rather drink something else if I'm going to splurge on a sugary drink-- like juice, coke, or something like that. I was just trying to point out that it's marketed as very healthy, when in reality it's not all that great for you. Of course, there are times when you need the sugar (after playing sports, for example) but I don't think a lot of people see it as a sports drink, and therefore drink it on an regular basis (unaware of how much sugar it has).

yeayea

Reaction score
nay

its all sugar and water. no matter what label they stick on it. save your $$

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I still don't understand why it's a sin to enjoy a flavored beverage once in awhile? I really hope these aren't the same people who sing the praises of gin and tonics. May as well just stick to tap water. It's better for you. Why drink wine? ******* calories. Water is better. Should we eat gruel as well because it's better than a perfectly cooked piece of steak or some other food?

I mainly say this as it's very easy to just dismiss stuff like this because it's a drink that is hyped up and pretends to be healthy. But if you look past all of that and see it for what it is, a flavored beverage, it's not that big a deal. Soda (even diet) is not good for you and pretty much worthless, but if you can have a single soda on a special occasion, it's not a big deal. Is everyone here saying we should never drink anything but water now? I think we pretty much established that vitamin water isn't healthy at all.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point was, if you're going to take in 150 calories for no reason (assuming this is not during or following vigorous excercise), there are better tasting things to be drinking than Vitamin Water. Like (for me) a Boylan's Cane Cola, or an Izze Clementine soda, a glass of wine, a well-done IPA, etc.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I think we pretty much established that vitamin water isn't healthy at all.
We = a bunch of calorie-counting gym rats. Our opinion on this matter, however correct, likely differs from that of most normal people, or even the average SF'ers.

Soda (even diet) is not good for you and pretty much worthless, but if you can have a single soda on a special occasion, it's not a big deal. Is everyone here saying we should never drink anything but water now?
Soda only for the special occasion?
crackup[1].gif

I have a feeling the $80 billion soft drink industry would have a problem or two with that motto...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
haha. Maybe special occasion was the wrong word. With dinner occastionaly or perhaps at the theater. I hoped to save it for my wedding night, but i'm not that strong of will.
frown.gif
Then again, i know people who pretty much drink nothing but soda. I mean, i love it too but a close friend of mine takes it to scary levels. In fantastic shape too (weight/looks and sports performance wise as he's a smoker too)

adversity04

Reaction score
Then again, i know people who pretty much drink nothing but soda. I mean, i love it too but a close friend of mine takes it to scary levels. In fantastic shape too (weight/looks and sports performance wise as he's a smoker too)

Now imagine how he'd perform if he wasn't drinking all that sugary crap!
smile.gif
Sorry, I just never drink the stuff anymore. I found that it messed with my body too much and since converting to mostly water, I'll drink gatorade and such during really hot days when doing athletics for multiple hours, I've found that I have a lot more energy.

rents

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?

I remember the first time I saw that vitamin water stuff I couldn't stop laughing cause of that movie. It's just so sad.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why it's a sin to enjoy a flavored beverage once in awhile?

All things in moderation.

A lot of people think that I'm going to hell and am going to die tomorrow due to the things I partake in, but they simply can't understand that moderation is key. Yes, I drink everyday, but one glass of wine/mug of beer a day does NOT make me an alcoholic. I smoke, sure; but that one handrolled cigarette every 2-3 days (maybe) is not going to hurt me that much. I eat some crazy food, but it balances out when compared to everything else.

SamIam33

Reaction score
I still don't understand why it's a sin to enjoy a flavored beverage once in awhile? I really hope these aren't the same people who sing the praises of gin and tonics. May as well just stick to tap water. It's better for you. Why drink wine? ******* calories. Water is better. Should we eat gruel as well because it's better than a perfectly cooked piece of steak or some other food?

I mainly say this as it's very easy to just dismiss stuff like this because it's a drink that is hyped up and pretends to be healthy. But if you look past all of that and see it for what it is, a flavored beverage, it's not that big a deal. Soda (even diet) is not good for you and pretty much worthless, but if you can have a single soda on a special occasion, it's not a big deal. Is everyone here saying we should never drink anything but water now? I think we pretty much established that vitamin water isn't healthy at all.

Chronoaug, I completely agree with you-- it's not a sin to enjoy a flavored drink every so often. The reason for this thread was just to point out that Vitamin Water is in fact a flavored beverage, like you said. Many people don't see it as this, and assume it's healthy because of the way it's been marketed. It also has 50 calories listed on the nutritional info, and many people (myself included) didn't realize this was per serving (there is 2.5 servings per bottle.)

Anyway, just wanted to say I wasn't attacking flavored beverages... just commenting on Vitamin Water in particular.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a dance class a few days ago and it was pretty rigorous workout since I accidentally was in a jazz class. The instructor was this horribly obese man sipping daintily on a bottle of vitamin water. I think he thought he was really being kinda healthy.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, some people here are too uptight. Not many people who actually drink vitamin water pretend that it's healthy. It tastes a lot better and cleaner (less syrupy) than gatorade. If i have the option, i choose vitamin water of gatorade every time. I play a lot of sports for long periods of time, and sometimes after i need something a bit more than water. I don't think we can condemn everything that has calories that isn't alcohol though. It's a soft drink/sports beverage. It has its place in the beverage world and tastes damn good.

I like water fine, but sometimes i enjoy something different with flavor. As long as you don't drink vitamin water, gatorade, soda, juice, etc... all the time instead of drinking water, you'll be fine.

xxx > dragonfruit > 50 > citrus > rasp-apple

+1. I only use Vitamin Water in the summer time when I'm (intensely) playing football in 90+ degree heat for a couple hours. Water + banana just doesn't cut it (I usually down a couple bottles of wateR). Vitamin Water, OTOH, replenishes me much more than water.

As far as recreational drinking of gatorade or VW, I never do it.

nudielover

Reaction score
Nay.

Your body can only absorb a small amount of vitamins each day. Any excess that you consume will only be excreted in your urine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads