• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

musehead

Reaction score
@laniceman
Thanks
@kings99
They don't support B&L Ray Bans warranty-wise since it's under Luxottica now. You're best bet for finding another pair of lens for the predator 1 is on eBay or you could even find a new old stock pair on ebay for around 40-80 dollars nowadays, they are quite inexpensive.
@butterflystyle
I made a mistake but that's certainly unsettling, Italy must be getting hit hard by the economic crisis. If I were to buy modern Ray Bans I would still stay away from the China made models even if they claim they are "authentic". China is the counterfitting capital of the world. How are you supposed to distinguish from an authentic Chinese pair from a well made Chinese fake now?

Last edited:

butterflystyle

Reaction score

@laniceman
@butterflystyle
I made a mistake but that's certainly unsettling, Italy must be getting hit hard by the economic crisis. If I were to buy modern Ray Bans I would still stay away from the China made models even if they claim they are "authentic". China is the counterfitting capital of the world. How are you supposed to distinguish from an authentic Chinese pair from a well made Chinese fake now?

Unfortunately you probably can't - and truth be told I was upset when I got these glasses, but what can you do?

Furthermore, it's likely that the glasses made IN Italy were assembled by Chinese labor.

I will only be buying glasses made in Denmark from now on.

MrJoyboy

Reaction score
The old ones were made of glass. It was a thicker safety type glass so they wouldn't shatter. The new ones are plastic like most modern eyewear.

MrJoyboy

Reaction score
I have a pair here circa 1990 and it is made of glass with the "Ray Ban" on the top of one lens. I must has lost or thrown away my older pairs from the late 60's on but I remember that they had no logos or markings anywhere on them. Logos were not really used years ago except for perhaps the old crocodile and a couple or other items.

despairingmum

Reaction score
Hi Musehead,

I have a problem and am wondering if you could help?

I have a pair of what appear to be authentic Ray Ban sunglasses.

They look exactly like Ray Ban ambermatic all weather sunglasses (and have this printed on the case) and have B&L Ray Ban USA stamped (or engraved, if that is a better way off putting it) on the bridge of the nose.

They have SAE110 stamped on the right arm but no other markings on the lenses or frames anywhere.

I'm assuming that the model number, or name, has worn off due to their age (we think they are from the 1960's) and that they have been re-lensed - hence no engravings on the lenses.

Would you be able to let me know what the code on the right arm is reference to and whether you think they are genuine? Also, what a suggested price would be for these glasses?

I appreciate that you must get a lot of requests like this and that the information may be a bit sparse but I would really appreciate any information, advice or help i could get from you.

Thanks very much in advance,

despairingmum,

agentorange

Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope you can help me out.
I have a pair of vintage Ray-Ban sunglasses that I got out of a garage I cleaned from a very old man. The only markings on the glasses are across the bridge, where it says "B&L RAY-BAN USA LIC".
It also says "Made in W. Germany on one temple tip and "Frame- W. Germany" on the other.
The glasses are quite heavy and came in an official seal-marked case.
The lenses measure at 60 mm across each. I cannot find any information at all about what type of Ray-Bans these could be, and was wondering if I could get anything out of you guys?
Thanks in advance. I've got some pictures, but I don't have a good camera and can't focus on any of the engravings.

musehead

Reaction score
agentorange
pm sent

despairringmum
Post sone pictures ob this thread or pm some and I'll let you know what you have.

musehead

Reaction score
gravitas1
I'm not familiar with those type of Ray Bans but those are not wayfarers. They look like traditionals or a type of gatsby.

JackSummers56

Reaction score

Hi, i own a pair of vintage Bausch and Lomb round metal Ray Bans in dark grey metal with blue lenses. They were bought over 10-12 years ago by my father. He purchased them from a friend who owned a self run opticians, which was closing, meaning he bought these sunglasses for just £25. He has two identical other pairs, one is broken completely, the other is in perfect condition with the original case. The pair i have been given are in a good condition, there is one chip in the lens which is being replaced by a local optician. The issue is that they are not complete with the classic Bausch and Lomb case, which I would really like to get hold of. Luxotica cases are in easy supply but i cant find the original case anywhere for sale online. Could you offer some suggestions? I understand this is a hard one as they are very rare and probably expensive. Hope you can help - the code on the glasses is W2462 YUAW if it helps.

Nergock

Reaction score
@Musehead, Would like to know what you thought on the West Germany pair that agentorange owns. I am considering buying a similar pair. Thanks.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Musehead,

Did B&L ever do real tortoise shell Ray Bans? If so do you know where I can get a pair? I'm pretty sure if it already existed on the market when the law was not around, then it's still legal to trade/sell.

kbrenna1

Reaction score
My dad found his pair of Ray Bans in his hunting pack...he says that he used them in the 70's and they are actually older because he got them used from his cousin. They're brass, but the lenses do not have the metal all the way around nor is there Ray Ban markings anywhere on them. The lenses are beveled, also have two screws in the lens, one holding the side piece and one holding the nose piece on. It does say made in Taiwan, ROC on inside. The case looks real and has the Bausch & Laumb/Rayban stamp on it. My dad says they were shooting glasses. The piece above the nose bridge is straight, not a circle like some. I don't have a pic today, as I left my phone at home...I can send a pic later if needed. Are these just really old (circa late 60's early 70's) fakes? They're still pretty awesome if they are!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads