• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

views on two overcoats for business

Ennius

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess i mean a warm overcoat as opposed to a great coat.

I have checked the online stuff at Barneys, BG, Bloomys.... And not seen much. I should go to the stores in person. J Press has a few decent things too.

Louys

Reaction score
Billy Reid also has a few nice looking pieces on sale, but I can't personally vouch for quality.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from something which looks like a trench coat, but is not a trench coat. Sort of a woolen transvestite...

I think the chesterfield looks great but worry that the uncovered neck will be unpleasant on very cold days. 

Thoughts/suggestions/other ideas?

They recently came up with this sophisticated thing called "scarf" which might solve you cold neck problems. :D

garyclark

Reaction score
Living in Boston and taking public transit, I face the same challenges you do.

I have two tweed overcoats that I rotate for when it's below freezing. I've found that eBay/etsy are great places to find quality overcoats. One of mine is a Harris Tweed that I picked up new, but one is a Hugo Boss that I picked up for under $75 on eBay. They're both super warm in the winter, and I think they look great. Get lots of compliments as well.

I have a trenchcoat with a zip-out lining that I wear in the rain. I'm not as pleased with this, as it's plain black and formless. But it does the trick of keeping me dry and warm in wet weather.

I'm also in the market for a shorter less formal trenchcoat, which I think is a nice option to have.

Ennius

Reaction score
Woolen transvestite- thats funny.

After scanning many online sites i have noticed that there certainly been a trend towards shorter mens coats. I have tomorrow off so i will stop by the usual suspects and look for overcoats. Barneys, bloomys, saks, brooks brother, paul stuart, J Press... Should have something for me.

johnvw

Reaction score

Woolen transvestite- thats funny.

After scanning many online sites i have noticed that there certainly been a trend towards shorter mens coats. I have tomorrow off so i will stop by the usual suspects and look for overcoats. Barneys, bloomys, saks, brooks brother, paul stuart, J Press... Should have something for me.

If by shorter you mean at or above the knees, to me, this observation (if true across the board) raises an interesting question. If it is cold enough in one's environment to wear an overcoat, would a full-length overcoat not be more functional than one that covered the upper body but not the lower body?

Ennius

Reaction score
Most i have seen so far end above the knees. Is it the current fashion?

I agre that if it is cold then a fuller length makes much sense.

Ennius

Reaction score
^^ those are nice coats. One of them was on sale at Miss Porter for 70% off, but already all gone.... but gives me hope.

I saw a sweet Isaia cashmere charcoal overcoat on sale at Barneys for only $2600 (from 3700). it is a great coat but a bit out of my range. At 50% off I would likely do it.

Jack W

Reaction score
Goo
I personally prefer option 1. The style is more common and certainly classic. I also feel it looks more professional. My best recommendation for you is to get one of the loro piana storm system models from Brooks Brothers. The storm system performs fantastically in the snow and rain, couldn't ask for better. They come in both "short" and "long" styles:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksStorm®-Short-Town-Coat/032L,default,pd.html?dwvar_032L_Color=BLCK&contentpos=40&cgid=0222

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksStorm®-Long-Town-Coat/010L,default,pd.html?dwvar_010L_Color=BLCK&contentpos=35&cgid=0222

I personally have the short town overcoat in charcoal. It is quite warm. I can also verify they use canvassed construction rather than fused.

Twice a year, you can get them on sale for 25%-30% off, plus an additional 15% off, putting them in the roughly $600 range.

As for the scarf:

http://www.kentwang.com/cashmere-grey.html

Not on sale, but a good price for quality

Jack W

Reaction score
Good question. My reco
Hi Gents,

I am looking to buy a nice basic overcoat for work. I am usually business casual but want to be able to wear it with a jacket and tie. I have a few other jackets but need a winter workhorse to wear often. I live in NYC so I want a warm one, as walking around in the winter can be very cold.

Here are two ones below that I like and are on good sales. Basically a classic charcoal chesterfield versus a charcoal wool double breasted trench coat. I think the chesterfield looks great but worry that the uncovered neck will be unpleasant on very cold days.

One other quick question - I just lost my favorite grey wool scarf. Any suggestions where to get a nice simple grey wool/cashmere scarf on a nice sale?

As always, thanks

FL00026_CHARCOAL

8920002.jpg
Hi Gents,

I am looking to buy a nice basic overcoat for work. I am usually business casual but want to be able to wear it with a jacket and tie. I have a few other jackets but need a winter workhorse to wear often. I live in NYC so I want a warm one, as walking around in the winter can be very cold.

Here are two ones below that I like and are on good sales. Basically a classic charcoal chesterfield versus a charcoal wool double breasted trench coat. I think the chesterfield looks great but worry that the uncovered neck will be unpleasant on very cold days.

One other quick question - I just lost my favorite grey wool scarf. Any suggestions where to get a nice simple grey wool/cashmere scarf on a nice sale?

As always, thanks

FL00026_CHARCOAL

8920002.jpg
Good question. I have two overcoats, one is cashmere the other camel hair and both single button front w/o a coat belt. A coat belt belongs on a trench coat not a Chesterfield, IMO. The cashmere is dark navy blue, knee length and I can dress it up w/ a suit or down w/ jeans and the look is professional & classic. If your budget is tight, this is a good option. Also a dark color like navy will not show everyday wear as will lighter colors. My camel hair overcoat is below the knee in length and is the overcoat used for more formal events, mostly after hours and most definitely wearing a suit. As I mention earlier, if I can only purchase one I’d purchase the knee length navy overcoat in cashmere or 100% wool.
About the scarf. You can pick up nice cashmere scarfs at a number of the large box stores, Brooks Bros, JosBanks, independent men’s stores, etc. I prefer cashmere scarfs b/c they’re soft and lay nicely around the collar and across the front closure of the overcoat. Also cashmere unlike virgin wool doesn’t irritate the sensitive neck area. ??

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BB overcoat(s) shown in the 2013 post are, to use apparel trade parlance,
"skimpy dreck" . Too short and too close fitting to be warm for the average guy.
I was in NYC the following year ,January 2014, when the "polar vortex" descended
on the area : mid-day temperatures in the single digits. I was warm in a Burberry
tight weave wool and cashmere Balmacaan- no longer available. So my usual suggestion
is to check out O'Connells website. Their selection is very wide. If the prices are too high
at least one gets ideas what to look for elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member