• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ****LOVED***** Morrowind, most epic RPG ever. I hated Oblivion - even though the combat engine got its much needed overhaul, it seemed way too short compared to Morrowind, and seemed to be skinned as yet another Tolkien fantasy clone.
Will I like Skyrim???

I think you will. The game is a lot larger than Oblivion, and they will no doubt have a ton of expansions.

Other than the size, they took a lot of care to create the world. My main gripe with Oblivion was that the art was very ugly and soulless. Everything was too clean and plastic. In Skyrim things look distressed and lived in. The voice acting is great, and the small visual effects, like snow blowing off of a mountain, or myst created by a waterfall are very well done.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you will. The game is a lot larger than Oblivion, and they will no doubt have a ton of expansions.
Other than the size, they took a lot of care to create the world. My main gripe with Oblivion was that the art was very ugly and soulless. Everything was too clean and plastic. In Skyrim things look distressed and lived in. The voice acting is great, and the small visual effects, like snow blowing off of a mountain, or myst created by a waterfall are very well done.

I agree, every elders scrolls has trumped the past one. Skyrim is so vast and amazing, the details are very good. With some fxaa post injecting mods it looks even more stunning. This game has a long way to go with modding, and its off to a great start.

My biggest gripes though have to be with factions. I really wish they'd make a faction/coven of vampires and maybe even a daedric faction where you are given in depth quests and story lines with the suporters and worshippers of the daedra. As for vampire coven's, t would have been great to have a group hunting vampires where you can choose sides in the battle depending whether or not you become a vampire or not - assuming they make playing as a vampire better.

By far the biggest letdown was lack of a arena/ring. I loved being pitted in a cage match in Oblivion, with a gladiator costume and all.

I also enjoyed seeing stats like my fame and what not in the menus.

Overall i'm happy with Skyrim - I'm sure mods will fill in the gaps - especially once the kit is out.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone in the tribes ascend beta?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone in the tribes ascend beta?

Yes, but no time to play it since I have to travel in a few hours. Everything I read about the game is simply awful, but I feel obligated to play since I played Tribes 2 more than any other game in my life.

I got T2 when I was in high school, right as summer started and pretty much played it 8 hrs every day that I was able to.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, every elders scrolls has trumped the past one. Skyrim is so vast and amazing, the details are very good. With some fxaa post injecting mods it looks even more stunning. This game has a long way to go with modding, and its off to a great start.
My biggest gripes though have to be with factions. I really wish they'd make a faction/coven of vampires and maybe even a daedric faction where you are given in depth quests and story lines with the suporters and worshippers of the daedra. As for vampire coven's, t would have been great to have a group hunting vampires where you can choose sides in the battle depending whether or not you become a vampire or not - assuming they make playing as a vampire better.
By far the biggest letdown was lack of a arena/ring. I loved being pitted in a cage match in Oblivion, with a gladiator costume and all.
I also enjoyed seeing stats like my fame and what not in the menus.
Overall i'm happy with Skyrim - I'm sure mods will fill in the gaps - especially once the kit is out.

My copy of Skyrim for PC arrives tomorrow in the mail.

What mods should I immediately install to make it look more awesome? I certainly don't want any cheat-type of mods or stuff to make the game easier

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am currently playing Skyrim. I played Oblivion, and have to confess that I was not a fan of it. Skyrim, however, is addicting as hell and one of the best games I have played in a long time. The world and environments are just jaw dropping. Fighting dragons have never looked so good.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn. I just got skyrim for 360. Hope i'm not going to miss out on too much considering all the PC mods available. I don't have a computer to support it so i guess it's a moot point

Yeah I wouldn't even ponder playing on a PC if I didn't have a brand new gaming rig that I built to handle Rift

Skyrim auto-defaulted to "Ultra" on all graphics settings when I installed ... lovin' it haha!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My copy of Skyrim for PC arrives tomorrow in the mail.
What mods should I immediately install to make it look more awesome? I certainly don't want any cheat-type of mods or stuff to make the game easier

Damn. I just got skyrim for 360. Hope i'm not going to miss out on too much considering all the PC mods available. I don't have a computer to support it so i guess it's a moot point

I would say the best mods are on skyrimnexus and just run through the 'top' list. Tytanis is probably going to become the greatest mod there is - its already pretty ******* amazing. There are a few HUD mods for things like the inventory. To make it look better: there are more than a few mods to achieve this, i'm not sure what the best one is I would check them out each individually before picking one. Usually called something like: FXAA injector / shader and the likes. THere is a 'mod' that is really just an extensive guide on the top list as well - I would simply just follow his instructions, which is somewhat long - but def. worth it.

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/top/alltime.php

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Defaulted to "medium" graphics on my quad core w/ Geforce 9500 GT....game looks absolutely gorgeous I don't see how it could look any better.

Since Morrowind I always choose a Bosmer Archer/Alchemist.

I like the changes to the Alchemy system, but am pissed because now, you can't run backwards as fast as you can run forward, which kinda neuters the Archer class, at least so far with me being at level 7.

Haven't had a chance to play it much yet.

edit: Also curious if I'm still able to stack enhance intelligence potions to make my other potions stupidly overpowered when I'm crafting them with an intelligence of like 2000 heh

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So whenabouts did you guys decide to quest for Azura's Star?

I'm on Level 8 but am about to break from the main quest and Thieves Guild side quests to go look for it. I just feel naked in a TES game w/o Azura's Star.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a good beginning one-hander sword. This silver sword for 13 damage isn't getting the job done.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rented Skyrim and enjoyed it for the limited time I had. Wouldn't mind picking it up at some point.

Just got the Metal Gear Solid HD edition for my PS3. Never got to play Peace Walker, so it's nice to be able to and I am looking forward to playing Snake Eater again. That's one of my all time favorite games.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So whenabouts did you guys decide to quest for Azura's Star?
I'm on Level 8 but am about to break from the main quest and Thieves Guild side quests to go look for it. I just feel naked in a TES game w/o Azura's Star.
Also, I'm on the lookout for a good beginning one-hander sword. This silver sword for 13 damage isn't getting the job done.

I didn't get Azure Star till like level 20.

As for a good one-hand sword, go to Bloated Mans Grotto for the Bolars Oatblade. Very cool sword. You can also get a powerful deadric artifact mace from the Abandoned House in Markarth...does like 25 damage without bonuses.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Oathblade looks nice. Definitely going to have to get Azura and find a soul drinker somewhere to keep it powered up :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads