• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velasca Shoes

Johnniegold

Reaction score
@theundeadkennedy

The shoes arrived yesterday. The stitching around the vamp has, IMO, an imperfection that detracted from the very unique style of this Tyrolean-type shoe.

The stitching, to my eye, was noticeably inconsistent and the finish of the leather sewn to the vamp along the seam was uneven which gave the shoe a disproportionate look.

Now, I understand that I may have an inordinate attention to detail. Maybe to most, the differences are negligible. But I know every time I looked down at these shoes it would bother me and shoes should make you happy.

I am in the process of exchanging these for another pair. Velasca’s customer service has been top-notch so no need for concern there.

They understood my issue and indicated that any product crafted by hand is bound to display some discrepancies. If the issue was uneven stitching on the back of the shoe or along the sole of the shoe, I would overlook it. But for this shoe, the stitching around the vamp is what defines this shoe and gives this shoe its character so that disparity is something I wasn’t willing to overlook.

I’m hoping the craftsmanship on next pair is better in this regard.

McQueen wouldn’t have it any other way. ?

Anyway, here you go...

7D6E58C8-D644-458D-956D-4CBAF66D65BB.jpeg
99C5280A-AD06-4167-8D88-DC303CDC313C.jpeg
D3900C0E-9824-40B3-9CB9-9F5C238A0194.jpeg
BACEF872-A295-42FC-9B47-788984B28089.jpeg
1E18F8AF-2E3A-4E64-8072-D9D84EC5405D.jpeg
8EF34E89-F69A-470E-8AFD-C0F5E693D5B3.jpeg
E6810C28-6B1D-4A22-839D-6595FC4E1532.jpeg
BAFBF9EE-76F3-489B-B8B1-16F14B093B87.jpeg
9D5596BE-4272-4E7B-86EC-89EDC516CAD1.jpeg

And there you have it.

Last edited:

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
@theundeadkennedy

The shoes arrived yesterday. The stitching around the vamp has, IMO, an imperfection that detracted from the very unique style of this Tyrolean-type shoe.

The stitching, to my eye, was noticeably inconsistent and the finish of the leather sewn to the vamp along the seam was uneven which gave the shoe a disproportionate look.

Now, I understand that I may have an inordinate attention to detail. Maybe to most, the differences are negligible. But I know every time I looked down at these shoes it would bother me and shoes should make you happy.

I am in the process of exchanging these for another pair. Velasca’s customer service has been top-notch so need for concern there.

They understood my issue and indicated that any product crafted by hand is bound to display some discrepancies. If the issue was uneven stitching on the back of the shoe or along the sole of the shoe, I would overlook it. But for this shoe, the stitching around the vamp is what defines this shoe and gives this shoe its character so that disparity is something I wasn’t willing to overlook.

I’m hoping the craftsmanship on next pair is better in this regard.

McQueen wouldn’t have it any other way. ?

Anyway, here you go...

View attachment 1561487 View attachment 1561494 View attachment 1561488 View attachment 1561489 View attachment 1561490 View attachment 1561491 View attachment 1561492 View attachment 1561493 View attachment 1561495

And there you have it.
Thanks for the thorough update!! Bummer about the Moc stitching, I hope they sort it on the next pair.
How was the sizing on these compared to your Brannock or other shoes?

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough update!! Bummer about the Moc stitching, I hope they sort it on the next pair.
How was the sizing on these compared to your Brannock or other shoes?

I based my Velasca size on my Alden shoe size which is 9E (on the Barrie last which is a roomier last). So I ordered a EU43.

On the exchange, I decided to go up to EU43.5 as I found the 43 a bit snug (but not uncomfortable). If 43.5 is too roomy , which I’m doubting it will be, I can always wear a thicker sock but I think it will provide more comfort.

I also wear a 9.5E in the Alden Aberdeen last which tapers a bit in the toe box so 43.5 may do the trick for the Velasca shoe.

I hope that somewhat convoluted explanation helps.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
I based my Velasca size on my Alden shoe size which is 9E (on the Barrie last which is a roomier last). So I ordered a EU43.

On the exchange, I decided to go up to EU43.5 as I found the 43 a bit snug (but not uncomfortable). If 43.5 is too roomy , which I’m doubting it will be, I can always wear a thicker sock but I think it will provide more comfort.

I also wear a 9.5E in the Alden Aberdeen last which tapers a bit in the toe box so 43.5 may do the trick for the Velasca shoe.

I hope that somewhat convoluted explanation helps.

You’re 9E on the Barrie and 9.5E on the Aberdeen in US sizing?
I was thinking I would have been size 43, but they’re sold through, so I was hoping I could make 42.5 work. But I’m 9.5D on the Barrie last (even though it’s a horrible last for my narrow heels and splaying toes), 42.5 sounds like maybe a bad call.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
You’re 9E on the Barrie and 9.5E on the Aberdeen in US sizing?
I was thinking I would have been size 43, but they’re sold through, so I was hoping I could make 42.5 work. But I’m 9.5D on the Barrie last (even though it’s a horrible last for my narrow heels and splaying toes), 42.5 sounds like maybe a bad call.

With Free Returns via FedEx you can try them out and see how it goes. Velasca makes the process pretty easy.

I am a size 10D US: (AE, Red Wing, Mephisto)

According to Alden (as you probably know)

Aberdeen: Runs fairly true to your normal U.S. size. Fit true to size. (A bit snug in tapering toe box but larger would be too big for me.)

Barrie: Runs 1/2 size larger than your normal U.S. size. Size down 1/2 size. (A comfortable fit for me.)

Last edited:

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice ??
With Free Returns via FedEx you can try them out and see how it goes. Velasca makes the process pretty easy.

I am a size 10D US: (AE, Red Wing, Mephisto)

According to Alden (as you probably know)

Aberdeen: Runs fairly true to your normal U.S. size. Fit true to size. (A bit snug in tapering toe box but larger would be too big for me.)

Barrie: Runs 1/2 size larger than your normal U.S. size. Size down 1/2 size. (A comfortable fit for me.)

Blackm

Reaction score
Hello.
Has anyone ever tried their Jodhpur boots (Triton)? Their are part of the Anvil collection.
Wondering if for about 300USD they are a good option, I like their style but I'm not sure about them being only blake stitched and general quality.
Thanks.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Bummer about the Moc stitching, I hope they sort it on the next pair.

6 months ago I returned these shoes to exchange them for a larger size. Unfortunately, the larger size was out of stock. I also advised their customer service (which is very good) that I was dissatisfied with the disparity in the stitching on the vamp.

2 weeks ago I received an email that the shoe was in stock so I placed the order. They arrived a few days ago and I am quite pleased. This time the stitching is what I had hoped it would be.

Here are some pics of the pair that I returned and the pair that just arrived.

First Pair
D10ADD14-66A7-4995-8111-377DBB37511C.jpeg

43242482-9E89-42F3-BA95-4FB14B35DC3B.jpeg

1st Pair
299E7CE8-72DA-48A0-8417-4828BB33A4E4.jpeg

2nd Pair
523103FD-02F8-4ED5-BB97-E98FFEC11770.jpeg

The uneven stitching created a disproportionate look on the vamp which was created by the uneven amount of stitching used and made what appeared to be a line running along the right side of the left shoe. A minor detail perhaps but I could not see past it. The stitching on the second pair appears to be the same width thereby giving the shoes more symmetry.

It took 6 months but I am pleased with the new shoes.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any updates from long time owners?

I was walking around the East Village of NYC yesterday and came across the store having never heard of the brand. I stopped in and spoke with a very nice woman who explained about some of the lasts used on different shoes. Unfortunately I was in sneakers and shorts so I did not have the opportunity to try on anything and decided to check-in here first before I go back o the store.

After reading through all 16 pages, it seems that a few years ago the shoes/boots were well priced, good quality, and great value for money but now they are almost double the price and the quality is not as good. Is this correct? Could this be due to the pandemic? Any other reason?

It also appears the owner, Enrico, stopped participating in 2017 and his account no longer exists.

And feedback would be greatly approeciated.

ceegman

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased anything from their cordovan collection; specifically, the Moros penny loafer? I am little hesitant purchasing something like cordovan from a brand when I can’t find reviews for that collection. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics