• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass Three Part Shoe Trees

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my three part Vass shoe trees. They don't really stretch the shoe out as much as the spring loaded trees do. Has anyone else had this happen? It's almost like the tree just kind of "sits" in the shoe, which doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
While I have never owned the Vass three piece shoe tree, when I was placing my order with Gabor he recommended the spring loaded tree over the three piece for the reason you mention.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
in my expirance vass's tree's are not as great as my G&G not quite as snug and the 3 peice are pretty hard going!

when i ordered my bespoke G&G's Tony recomended not to choose 3 peice tree

what you might wanna do is "put a sock" over them and see if that helps the fit

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
I just received my three part Vass shoe trees. They don't really stretch the shoe out as much as the spring loaded trees do. Has anyone else had this happen? It's almost like the tree just kind of "sits" in the shoe, which doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

Never had any trouble with my Vass three-piece trees - are you sure they sent you the right size? as I remember you mentioning that the trees were sent after you purchased your shoes.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a separate but related subject, i heard somewhere that Vass isn't pronounced like it's spelled, "vah-ss"...but i forgot what the "actual" pronunciation was. can anyone enlighten me?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
on a separate but related subject, i heard somewhere that Vass isn't pronounced like it's spelled, "vah-ss"...but i forgot what the "actual" pronunciation was. can anyone enlighten me?

Vah-shh

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by william

It just kind of sits there for me too -- what I do is I flip the middle piece around so that it fits improperly, which makes the other pieces of the tree fit the insides of the shoe tighter. Not a pretty solution, but it works out.

rws

Reaction score
I've one pair of Vasses, massmade on the "U" last, which I ordered with three-part shoetrees. They fit snugly -- perfectly -- as though they'd been made from the same last as the shoes they go into. Perhaps (as another poster pointed out) the solution lies in ordering both shoes and trees at the same time.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 3-piece trees that I have fit snugly and I have no complain but I definitely feel more tension with the spring-loaded trees. The 3-piece trees are great for display and look artistianal but I find the spring-loaded more practical. I order majority of my Vasses with spring-loaded trees, I just don't have the patience to remove 6 pieces of wood in the morning and reassemble them at the end of the day. And I am not looking forward to misplacing one of the pieces.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
The 3-piece trees that I have fit snugly and I have no complain but I definitely feel more tension with the spring-loaded trees. The 3-piece trees are great for display and look artistianal but I find the spring-loaded more practical. I order majority of my Vasses with spring-loaded trees, I just don't have the patience to remove 6 pieces of wood in the morning and reassemble them at the end of the day. And I am not looking forward to misplacing one of the pieces.

Ditto all of that.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up exchanging the 3-part trees for the spring loaded ones. Problem solved.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
function be damned, if I ever get Vass i'm getting mine with Da Puzzla Trees!!!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
snork[1].gif
biggrin.gif
nest.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads