• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size small. I am 5'8" and 152lbs. Contemplating sizing up to s/m. Thoughts?
Dnt size up. The shoulders are the right fit. If you size up, they will be a bit wonky, and the rest of the jacket will not stretch to fit. As is. the jacket fits well and the leather will conform to your body. Sizing up on a heavy leather is a bad idea because once the leather settles, it will droop a;ll over the place. Don't worry about what others your weight and height are wearing. Weight can be distributed very differently between different people.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
These look really good. Also wish I didn't have $800 tied up in toj. Thanks @impolyt_one

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of it as better pricing for people who were willing to invest in the jacket before we had pictures.

Or just get over it. Thurston Bros doesn't control Vanson pricing, and they're not going to take a loss to preserve Styleforum deals. And Vanson isn't focussed on the Styleforum timeline.
This. You (not you, but the other guy) had a chance to get in on the ground floor, and didn't take it. Thurston and Vanson did the good thing and honored those prices. No one who did not buy during that time has a legitimate complaint about the (still very reasonable) price.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These look really good. Also wish I didn't have $800 tied up in toj. Thanks @impolyt_one
Vanson is one of the oldest and most experienced leather jacket makers in the US, Thurston brothers is one of the best leather jacket retailers in the Pacific Northwest, and I know the tastes of this forum as well as anyone. I think that getting in on this was a pretty safe bet.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Vanson is one of the oldest and most experienced leather jacket makers in the US, Thurston brothers is one of the best leather jacket retailers in the Pacific Northwest, and I know the tastes of this forum as well as anyone.  I think that getting in on this was a pretty safe bet.

This project was almost a guaranteed home run. Forget the original price and just look at it as a new project for the above jacket at $899. If you are in the market for this style, it's a no brainer.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Feels a bit short for riding

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Feels a bit short for riding

The only place you would want a jacket to be long for riding would be in the back when it was cold. Otherwise you would want a short front.

Edit now that all pics have loaded. To me looks fine to ride, dependent upon the sleeves when you're in a riding position.

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd and 3rd pics are zipped

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think xl may be too big wish they had an l/xl

LaymanX

Reaction score
Damn tough crowd. I think it looks stellar, as have most of the daredevil fits so far. To each their own I guess.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

theres quite a bit of extra room in the waist... For reference I have a 42.5" chest and 34" waist and 35" hips. I may end up doing custom lengths

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads