• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

rbnman

Reaction score
I would be a size ML based on the waist hem of 19.5 but highly doubt I would fit a chest of 20.5.

The increments on the chest measurements seems off. Between sizes XS and ML, they increase 0.5" to 1" and between sz ML to L it jumps by 1.5". Same goes for the the waist hem measurement. Jumps from 19.5" to 21"?

Unless its measured differently?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

agreed...chest measurement looks small
sleeve still looks a bit long...how much can you expect it to shorten from wear & creasing over time?

Most my margiela leathers started at like 26.5 and are now 25.5 after creasing. It also depends on the length to begin with and the shoulders. I think my lamb perfecto started shorter at like 25" and is only 24.85" or so...

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Most my margiela leathers started at like 26.5 and are now 25.5 after creasing. It also depends on the length to begin with and the shoulders. I think my lamb perfecto started shorter at like 25" and is only 24.85" or so...

I was going to say .5", plus or minus, but as you note, 1.00" is not unheard of, although a bit unusual. There are so many variables among leather types, thickness, tanning method, etc... The importance of the shortening is also dependent upon the cuff style. A zip cuff that fits well on the wrist will hide a bit of extra length until it shortens up, while a full cuff can look and feel awkward if it's not perfect.

Edit: On a Vanson Model B that I own, the sleeves lost a little under .5" after break in. (that's the competition weight leather)

Last edited:

wanksy

Reaction score
Man, just found this thread. Should have ordered before the price went up.

dvskei

Reaction score
hmm waiting for people to get their MLs and Ls for fit pics. no offense but that model is terrible/huge gut

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be a size ML based on the waist hem of 19.5 but highly doubt I would fit a chest of 20.5.

The increments on the chest measurements seems off. Between sizes XS and ML, they increase 0.5" to 1" and between sz ML to L it jumps by 1.5". Same goes for the the waist hem measurement. Jumps from 19.5" to 21"?

Unless its measured differently?

Yep it's a bit weird. I don't think I'll be buying this jacket but I was looking at the sizes to see which one would fit me.

For me a 21' chest is ideal for a tight fit with just a t-shirt under the jacket (which is how I'd wear this anyway), and accounting for a bit of stretch. So the 20.5' in an M-L might be too tight. And then it goes up to 22' in the L. An 1.5' increase is a bit more than I'd expect, especially since this jacket has "in-between" sizes like M-L.

Jacket looks great though.

Last edited:

rbnman

Reaction score
Quote:
Agreed, disappointingly i don't think i can purchase this jacket based on the size chart. 21.25" chest for me with tshirt but ideally 21.5" so i can layer with light sweater. Will have to wait further for other sf members fit pics and feedback.

dvskei

Reaction score

Quote:
Agreed, disappointingly i don't think i can purchase this jacket based on the size chart. 21.25" chest for me with tshirt but ideally 21.5" so i can layer with light sweater. Will have to wait further for other sf members fit pics and feedback.
need larger chest as well...based on ML need chest to be 21.5"-22" with everything else the same

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How limited is this run? I'm probably visiting friends in Seattle in early July, and I wouldn't mind checking it out in person.

The Daredevil is a stock jacket for us, so we should have all the sizes in stock at any given time! You are welcome to come in to our store, but we open the shop by Saturday appointments only these days...our internet sales take up all of our time right now! Just give us a call or send us a message about two weeks in advance to arrange an appointment and we can make sure that the jacket styles/sizes you want to see will be in the shop (rather than shipped out for fittings)...

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over a year of waiting, $200 price hike and the euro has plummeted against the dollar. That translates in a roughly 50% price increase for me. It looks nice but I'm out.
!luc

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fit jackets are arriving to customers over the next few days, so hopefully a few folks will post up fit photos! We still have the full size run available for fitting, so if you want to get fitted for Daredevil, just send us a message at [email protected].

HeavenResign

Reaction score
no offense but that model is terrible/huge gut
I just think he has a big drop from shoulders to waist which isn't ideal for this jacket. In all of the traditional motorcycle jackets with a large drop (which is primarily what Thurston sells) you can see why they use him as a model

ChrisGold

Reaction score

I just think he has a big drop from shoulders to waist which isn't ideal for this jacket. In all of the traditional motorcycle jackets with a large drop (which is primarily what Thurston sells) you can see why they use him as a model

Carrie... please let Wade know SF thinks he has a big gut!

That's Wade, the co-owner of Thurston / Insurrection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads