• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What can we customize on each individual jacket? Is it just leather and lining that we can change?

If you order, just tell us what you'd like to change and we'll be able to tell you if that's possible. Most changes will only be a small upcharge to the base price.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That sample is the same leather that Junya used correct? IIRC someone mentioned that before... or was it the X150.

HeavenResign

Reaction score
That sample is the same leather that Junya used correct? IIRC someone mentioned that before... or was it the X150.
IIRC some of the early '07-ish junya's used comp weight, one of the early seasons used cdg supplied leather but yeah most of the junya's have used z150

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Midnight blue comp weight or midnight blue FQHH, blue floral lining. Bam, like that. This jacket should not fit any longer, guys. Trust me on this one. I think that you can order a long, but I would long order something longer if you are a really tall guy. If you are usually a regular, I would probably not recommend a much longer jacket. Because it is a DB, that will feel/look a long longer than say, a cafe racer.

@Thurston Bros , consider making the sleeve length about the same as you did for my cafe racer, with an allowance for the higher arm holes. I think that you still have that on file, but it might have been something like 26" on the M. I already have regular-longish arms for ma guy my height.

Awesome job. Oh, btw, are we going to have a custom patch? For tradition's sake, I can ask @Parker if he would be so good as ti help us with this.

Awesome gentlemen. You guys all rock.

Cheers,

Fok,

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Midnight blue comp weight or midnight blue FQHH, blue floral lining.  Bam, like that.  This jacket should not fit any longer, guys.  Trust me on this one. I think that you can order a long, but I would long order something longer if you are a really tall guy.  If you are usually a regular, I would probably not recommend a much longer jacket.  Because it is a DB, that will feel/look a long longer than say, a cafe racer.  

@Thurston Bros
, consider making the sleeve length about the same as you did for my cafe racer, with an allowance for the higher arm holes.  I think that you still have that on file, but it might have been something like 26" on the M.  I already have regular-longish arms for ma guy my height.

Awesome job.  Oh, btw, are we going to have a custom patch?  For tradition's sake, I can ask @Parker
 if he would be so good as ti help us with this.

Awesome gentlemen.  You guys all rock.

Cheers,

Fok,

How dark is the midnight blue? Almost black? I've seen pictures of your navy and that was a bit light for my liking.

Like this?

arnoldpettibone

Reaction score
The way we sized this, you'll be a Medium...we did it just like the Junya jackets that everyone likes so I don't know if we should change the fit a whole lot...did you like the look of the prototype? We were thinking of two changes--

1) increase length of sleeve gusset zippers by .25 inches

and

2) decrease sleeve length by 1-1.25 inches

The decreased sleeve length would have the size L at a sleeve length of 26.25 inches.

Pricing...we're able to offer these at $699.99 USD!
By this do you mean the pattern is identical to the Junya?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How dark is the midnight blue? Almost black? I've seen pictures of your navy and that was a bit light for my liking.
Like this?
I hate comparing colors on the internet. Not only do different monitors have different colors settings, but the hardest thing to capture is color, My jacket is "waxy blue" and in dim lighting conditions, it is nearly black. However, on a sunny day, against snow, it will appear a lot lighter, a really dark navy with dark low tones.

I think that that's the best that I do by way of explanation. On the other hand, if you want something that is a more rich black, go with the comp weight leather, and beat it up to get rid of the new leather shine. Or maybe go with the upscale veg tanned black, though that will be less weather resistant.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a DR fan but I could be tempted here - midnight blue and blue lining. Is it possible to have those fit pics with a bit more showing of the collar area, plus pics of the jacket unzipped please? I had a pitiful time trying to make a schott perfecto work for me, it was a bit too Marlon Brando for me. This seems much more contemporary whilst also being classic, to a point.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something is off on the fit to me, besides the obvious sleeve lengths. Maybe need to see it on a slimmer body or something, not totally sold yet. Upon further investigation it seems that there is a little bit too much leather on the back panel, maybe add taper. Arms are also a little baggy. Price is fantastic though...

This sums it up pretty nicely:

as someone who's owned the junya x vanson leathers, let me say that the junya leathers are cut waaaay tinier than the vanson leathers.

if you're going to add pockets to a stock vanson design, or even just slim the sleeves and body, you're really not going to get the desired effect.

the junya leathers had narrower lapels, tiny armholes, super narrow sleeves, short bodies; the design was not at all that of a that of a competition american moto jacket.

maybe some of you will be happy with this, maybe you won't.

the derby jacket above is really not similar to the junya jacket; the general style is the same, but the design is not.

Last edited:

bokhan

Reaction score
Definitely agree that shorter sleeves and longer zippers would look good. The long sleeves are for riding, most of us aren't getting the jacket for that. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads