• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanda - not only excellent merchandise but AMAZING customer service

cold war painter

Reaction score

This, if they have fabric available (which they do for most ties), they will make a custom length/width tie for SGD15 for the first and SGD10 for ties after that. Despite being custom made, they are made and shipped very quickly. Highly recommended.

++, it is a standard part of their service now, they have custom made for me and done an excellent job. Vanda & Hober are pretty much the only makers I buy from now since having the exact width and length of ties I prefer means life is a little bit simpler.

(One of this year's projects is to go through all my RTW ties and have my favourites remade to preferred specs and then ditch the rest.)

How would you compare Vanda to Brioni or Rubinacci since it's the only brand I have used now.

I have never used either so I can't give specifics but there is a lot of info about Vanda in this thread.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

++, it is a standard part of their service now, they have custom made for me and done an excellent job. Vanda & Hober are pretty much the only makers I buy from now since having the exact width and length of ties I prefer means life is a little bit simpler.
(One of this year's projects is to go through all my RTW ties and have my favourites remade to preferred specs and then ditch the rest.)
I have never used either so I can't give specifics but there is a lot of info about Vanda in this thread.

:slayer:

satorstyle

Reaction score
They are excellent, I'll chime in as well. I've shown their products to people not really into clothing and they recognize there is something special in the craftsmanship. Really a special company!

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

I have not tried out Vanda yet but I wanna. After using Brioni and now after Rubinacci this is something I very much would like to try.

How would you compare Vanda to Brioni or Rubinacci since it's the only brand I have used now.

I cannot comment on Rubinacci.

Brioni is a traditional tie with a substantial interlining, tipping, and tie keeper. Its tie keeper is often fancy, such as a gold chain with a Brioni charm in the center.

In comparison, the Vanda tie either has no lining or a light one. Also, there is no tipping; the edges are hand sewn. Finally, there is no tie keeper.

I would say that the Vanda tie is a lighter construction by reason of no lining or minimal lining.

Finally, Vanda is better priced than full-priced Brioni and Rubinacci.

Good luck.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot comment on Rubinacci.
Brioni is a traditional tie with a substantial interlining, tipping, and tie keeper. Its tie keeper is often fancy, such as a gold chain with a Brioni charm in the center.
In comparison, the Vanda tie either has no lining or a light one. Also, there is no tipping; the edges are hand sewn. Finally, there is no tie keeper.
I would say that the Vanda tie is a lighter construction by reason of no lining or minimal lining.
Finally, Vanda is better priced than full-priced Brioni and Rubinacci.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Will def try a Vanda out. But does Vanda make ties for other brands aswell?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But does Vanda make ties for other brands aswell?
Afaik they're a pretty small operation so I don't think so.

I'd consider buying from them but it looks like all their ties are 3.5", I can't really wear anything wider than 3"...

Last edited:

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This, if they have fabric available (which they do for most ties), they will make a custom length/width tie for SGD15 for the first and SGD10 for ties after that. Despite being custom made, they are made and shipped very quickly. Highly recommended.

Afaik they're a pretty small operation so I don't think so.
I'd consider buying from them but it looks like all their ties are 3.5", I can't really wear anything wider than 3"...

As mentioned, they'll definitely MTM a tie for you if you e-mail them. Noblesse has the correct MTM charges above.

It's really an amazing deal for what you get. And even if it weren't a "deal," they'd still be some of the absolute best ties out there. I have 7 bespoke/MTM Vandas currently and 3-4 more on the way. I don't really see myself buying other ties in the future except off price Rubinaccis and Cappellis. I feel much better about supporting Gerald and Diana anyway.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, they'll definitely MTM a tie for you if you e-mail them. Noblesse has the correct MTM charges above.

It's really an amazing deal for what you get. And even if it weren't a "deal," they'd still be some of the absolute best ties out there. I have 7 bespoke/MTM Vandas currently and 3-4 more on the way. I don't really see myself buying other ties in the future except off price Rubinaccis and Cappellis. I feel much better about supporting Gerald and Diana anyway.
Compare to Rubinacci and Cappelli do you feel Vanda is better?

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It wasn't my intention to imply that one was better than another. Rubinacci and Cappelli are known for their handmade, hand-rolled, unlined six- and seven-fold ties. Vanda has similar aesthetics and construction. They're all absolutely in the same league in terms of quality, details, and fabric used.

Foo has a great blog post on Cappelli that contains a lot of comparisons with Rubinacci and Marinella. You may find it useful! The article was written before Vanda launched in late 2011, though, so there's no mention of Gerald and Diana's work. http://tweedinthecity.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/e-g-cappelli-tiemaker/

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It wasn't my intention to imply that one was better than another. Rubinacci and Cappelli are known for their handmade, hand-rolled, unlined six- and seven-fold ties. Vanda has similar aesthetics and construction. They're all absolutely in the same league in terms of quality, details, and fabric used.

Foo has a great blog post on Cappelli that contains a lot of comparisons with Rubinacci and Marinella. You may find it useful! The article was written before Vanda launched in late 2011, though, so there's no mention of Gerald and Diana's work. http://tweedinthecity.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/e-g-cappelli-tiemaker/
cheers.gif

Noremedy

Reaction score
In terms of knot-ability, how do ties of this ilk tie in comparison to say Kiton or Borrelli ties?

I really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these types of items, and will look to pick one up to see for myself.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what merits / detractions you perceive between top-tier 'brands' and enthusiasts such as this lovely couple.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodfoot