• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
its filmnoirbuff...he said it makes u look like a sanitation worker

I shall have to henceforth refer to my new brown hopsack sport coat as a, "garbage jacket." I think that Mr. Genuardi actually did rather well, but rules are rules.

serge is woven using a worsted warp and a woollen weft. Creates the distinct texture.

A "Prunelle weave" gives cloth a twill appearance but isn't a twill.

Slight variations of weaving and yarn structure define the differences.
Hopsack is a plain weave, difference is that it is two yarns woven over two yarns. Plan weave is one over one.

Thank you for explaining that. Just what in the Hell serge is had heretofore eluded me. I think that description fits with the feel of the navy Bateman Ogden Apollo cloth (AA10, I believe) that I recently commissioned a blazer in and is described by the merchant as, "serge." It certainly fit my sensibilities at any rate: little or no sheen with a little woolly roughness.

JGARY

Reaction score
I have a navy suit from Steed that they referred to as a “hopsack” (it’s from the Botany book, but I can’t remember the number), and it doesn’t look rustic at all. I occasionally use the jacket separately, but it really is too smooth to be ideal for that purpose— not that anyone really notices.

Steed also made me a navy blazer from the Botany book. It’s a twill with distinct ridges. I assume it’s a serge since they recommended it for a blazer, but who knows...

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that vaguely, owing only to the garbage man reference. I have still yet to see a garbage man in a hopsack suit, though I am not in NYC or another major market...
I'm not a Garbage Man, but I'm a garbage man, and I wear a hopsack suit.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the precise term that was used was ‘hopsack cloth has a sanitation worker handle’

JGARY

Reaction score
The other metaphor was navy jacket/grey trouser as quintessential "security guard" look. Actually had a client decline ordering grey trousers with a navy jacket on that premise. He had read it here.

You should have told him that he’ll be ok in blue/gray unless he adds a fake badge to the outfit. Then all bets are off.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shall have to henceforth refer to my new brown hopsack sport coat as a, "garbage jacket." I think that Mr. Genuardi actually did rather well, but rules are rules.
Navy hopsack is for sanitation worker (wearing his Sunday best), brown is for farmer.

I don't know why you think the first element is a factor for cloth choice but if that gets you off, then awesome. And if the second point reads "stuble" then yeah, it's a good fabric choice. If you meant "subtle" then wearing hopsack for a suit is a good way to subtly place oneself as a sanitation worker wearing his Sunday best.

paborden

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads