• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never ordered from skip gambert but that was the process hickey freeman used.

I've had some bespoke shirts made by hilditch and key but they stopped traveling to the states and I've been reduced to sending them pictures of shirt fabrics I'm interested in. Its not ideal. I tried Robert Talbott a few years back with Wm Fox, a local store in DC, but the fit of the shirts were off and the fabrics (Acorn) weren't sturdy at all. Wm Fox also offered Y'Aprey shirts which are really nice but the fabric selection is limited.

Harvey & Hudson, & budd travel through dc. Presumably Turnbull & asser as well. How many shirts do you really need though?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harvey & Hudson, & budd travel through dc. Presumably Turnbull & asser as well. How many shirts do you really need though?

Are you not aware of the one shirt phoenix Kemosabe? I'm looking to buy 6-8 shirts.

:uhoh: Lines & Prices RTW shirt $335+ | Bespoke shirt $500+ (4 shirt min. order for first-time customer)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you not aware of the one shirt phoenix Kemosabe? I'm looking to buy 6-8 shirts.

:uhoh: Lines & Prices RTW shirt $335+ | Bespoke shirt $500+ (4 shirt min. order for first-time customer)

Sorry I offered to help. You’re just an unpleasant jealous person.

I don’t personally use any of the British shirtmakers bc I don’t like the British shirts. I used to exclusively use t&a but I prefer the Italian construction.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I offered to help. You’re just an unpleasant jealous person.

I don’t personally use any of the British shirtmakers bc I don’t like the British shirts. I used to exclusively use t&a but I prefer the Italian construction.

The comment was light hearted for sure.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...irtmaker-an-englishman-chambray-and-f.341010/

dsc00540_small-jpg.1142087

Last edited:

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I'm looking for a high end Xinjiang cotton shirting with some stretch. Is Esquel the only game in the world for Xinjiang cotton?

hnwhite

Reaction score
Could anybody be kind enough to recommend a book or a source that has Donegals in the 8/9 or 10oz ballpark?

SherryTweed at 11oz and W.Bill at 15oz is too heavy unfortunately.

hnwhite

Reaction score
Could anybody be kind enough to recommend a book or a source that has Donegals in the 8/9 or 10oz ballpark?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't need real Donegal (which would probably fall apart at that weight), Glorious 12th and Worsted Alsport will have some options. Being worsted, they will wear cooler than the actual thing.

Simon A

Reaction score
Agreed, an 8 oz tweed will probably be single-ply, woollen-spun, and hold its shape poorly and wear out at the elbows and cuffs very quickly. A worsted faux-tweed jacketing would be a better choice. Dormeuil used to have some Donegal-inspired jacketings of that type.

If you don't need real Donegal (which would probably fall apart at that weight), Glorious 12th and Worsted Alsport will have some options. Being worsted, they will wear cooler than the actual thing.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Caccioppoli has a kind of Donegal at 11 oz.

mactire

Reaction score

Magee and Molloy & Sons weave tie-cloth in that weight.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have sport coats in both Minnis Fresco II and Minnis Mock Leno? Does the texture on Mock Leno, specifically in navy, make it look different enough from Fresco when made into a sport coat?

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have sport coats in both Minnis Fresco II and Minnis Mock Leno? Does the texture on Mock Leno, specifically in navy, make it look different enough from Fresco when made into a sport coat?

Yes, mock leno weave a lot more visible compared to standard Fresco weave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads