• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need advice on navy wool/wool blend for an overcoat. It should be dark navy and plain.

For now, my options are the next:

W.Bill Classic Coating Collection (80% wool, 20% alpaca) 520g:

DSC_9354%20(425x640)-500x500.jpg

Hardy Minnis 2003B 100% wool 580g.

2003B.jpg

Which of the above mentioned would you choose and why?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Need advice on navy wool/wool blend for an overcoat. It should be dark navy and plain.

For now, my options are the next:

W.Bill Classic Coating Collection (80% wool, 20% alpaca) 520g:

DSC_9354%20(425x640)-500x500.jpg

Hardy Minnis 2003B 100% wool 580g.

2003B.jpg

Which of the above mentioned would you choose and why?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I don't remember this particular W. Bill coating but last time at my tailor's shop i had a look to the whole book and quite nice stuff, much better than Harrisons and H&S book that i knew already.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I don't remember this particular W. Bill coating but last time at my tailor's shop i had a look to the whole book and quite nice stuff, much better than Harrisons and H&S book that i knew already.

Two books that I have had great overcoats from
- The Harrisons wool/camel blend - there's a great plain navy in there
- The Loro Piana wool/cashmere blend - Chittleborough & Morgan made me an extraordinary grey overcoat from this book, and I also saw a great navy in there. Expensive but worth it

R-O-T

zr3rs

Reaction score
Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Fox Brothers Large Herringbone in Midnight. 24oz/690g. I have this in charcoal for a peacoat. Because of the extensive flannel finish, the herringbone is nearly invisible and it has a soft, but firm grip to it. Relatively heavy, probably high durability, only cashmere might be warmer (but less durable). I really love it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6928.JPG My tailor had a no name entry level fabric book. He says it's from England. Are you able to figure out from which mill this is from? I know it doesn't provide much info-just hoping.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midnight Blue Smoking Jacket over Cream Cricket Flannel Trousers. Enjoy the clip ....

I'm not sure I like this one. The sleeves look a bit snug and the jacket makes your hips look wide.

I like the concept of various dinner jackets, but how often are you able to wear them?

Also, what's your sport coat game look like?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jacket looks nice, from this photo, I'd lengthen the sleeves for sure. Left arm slightly dropped shoulder, for sure needs more length in the sleeve on the dropped shoulder.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nailed the shoulders, chest & whole top end tho, imo

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am skipping our so-called winter. Texturally speaking, Phoenix - which I anticipate is similar in texture to my Rust jacket - is really only useful in the winter season. The temperature here ranges from the high 80s to high 90s from March through November.

So you're looking for a Louisiana spring-summer-fall odd jacket? A heavy linen might do the trick. Chris loves the LL linen options. For what it's worth, I really like them also but only in solid. A share the bias against patterned linen for men.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am skipping our so-called winter. Texturally speaking, Phoenix - which I anticipate is similar in texture to my Rust jacket - is really only useful in the winter season. The temperature here ranges from the high 80s to high 90s from March through November.

And if you are looking for patterned jacketing, how about waiting for the new Loro Piana spring/summer swatches when they become available?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(cross posted...)
style advice requested: I'm thinking about commissioning a navy blazer of the ivy-trad-gold-brass-button variety and was wondering if I should get it made up in a hopsack cloth or something like flannel or a doeskin fabric. Is one of these more 'appropriate' with the whole brass-button get up (for instance, are there any seasonal connotations with this type of blazer), or is it just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, etc...

thanks!

I think that brass buttons look much better on heavier jacketing. I'd skip them on the fresco (mock-leno is an especially good option here) and use them on a heavier flannel. Use MOP on the fresco. If you want a heavier option than Minnis with a very similar structure, check out the 12-13oz Finmeresco Mock Leno. Great stuff.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that brass buttons look much better on heavier jacketing. I'd skip them on the fresco (mock-leno is an especially good option here) and use them on a heavier flannel. Use MOP on the fresco. If you want a heavier option than Minnis with a very similar structure, check out the 12-13oz Finmeresco Mock Leno. Great stuff.

For mock leno, I actually prefer the ones in the Fresco 3 bunch. They feel more bouncy and crease resistant than the Finmeresco mock lenos but there are less colour options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics