• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny. My in-laws are in Manhattan Beach, and I don't think of it a place to go eat beyond mundane, everyday sorts of places. I'll have to check out those spots.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny. My in-laws are in Manhattan Beach, and I don't think of it a place to go eat beyond mundane, everyday sorts of places. I'll have to check out those spots.
Admittedly, I don't have terribly high standards when it comes to food (except steak), so your good may differ from mine if you're a foodie.

I do love Strand House though. Definitely a killer spot for a date night
bigstar[1].gif

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aristoi, JRD & Others who've contributed,

Life in Dubai/Abu Dhabi is typically building-car-building, very little walking indeed. I do not envisage long strolls outside in the afternoon to grab a sandwich at lunch or such. The suits will primarily be worn indoors with the occasional dash across to the other building - or walk from the car valet into a building. Hope this helps.

Since my 16oz ambitions have been clipped to perhaps 13oz, what would you gentlemen recommend? As we speak, I'm looking at the following 13oz bunches

1. H. Lesser No. 303 13os
2. H. Lesser Lumbs Golden Bale
3. Harrisons Oyster (Thistle Range)
4. Smith Woolens Botany

Still mulling this over ..

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've been having a bit of a (relatively) cold spell here in HK. I wore H&S Victory flannel today, and did building car building and it was too hot. 18C, I guess 90% humidity is the killer.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Humidity changes everything. On one side of the tipping point, it makes you hot. On the other, it chills you to the bone. 70 and humid will get me into summer suits (or, at least, linen shirts).

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've been having a bit of a (relatively) cold spell here in HK. I wore H&S Victory flannel today, and did building car building and it was too hot. 18C, I guess 90% humidity is the killer.

It's been good weather for heavy linens lately in HK. Flannel + humidity = cardiac arrest :D

Last edited:

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan Bee

Unless you run cold...indoors with 65 degree A/C, shy away from the 16oz suit

A less expensive alternative would be to try some trousers in the 16oz range such as cavalry twill or woolen flannel. My legs run cold so I tolerate heavier trousers better than heavier jackets and suitings.

Some members who posted recently melt in 9/10oz cloths, even when the weater outside is in the low 50s. So gauge your purchases on whether you run hot ot cold

If you really desire a tweed, then try a jacket experiment at 14-15oz. I have found Scottish tweeds to be more porous than flannel, even though thicker, yet less insulating. If you use Neopolitan tailors, some are known for making jackets with less internal structuring and lining to better help with heat regulation

Good luck with your experiments and post pictures of your results.

Start with the heavier trouser to gauge your heat tolerance and to see if they truly drape-hang better for you

On a different note, i too recommend Dormeuil Royal 12. I have 2 three piece suits made out of it and love wearing them during the warmer days of the year

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate a Dugdale ETC for workhorse at air con temperatures if you want something that drapes well and isn't too too warm.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Unless you run cold...indoors with 65 degree A/C, shy away from the 16oz suit

A less expensive alternative would be to try some trousers in the 16oz range such as cavalry twill or woolen flannel. My legs run cold so I tolerate heavier trousers better than heavier jackets and suitings.

Some members who posted recently melt in 9/10oz cloths, even when the weater outside is in the low 50s. So gauge your purchases on whether you run hot ot cold

If you really desire a tweed, then try a jacket experiment at 14-15oz. I have found Scottish tweeds to be more porous than flannel, even though thicker, yet less insulating. If you use Neopolitan tailors, some are known for making jackets with less internal structuring and lining to better help with heat regulation

Good luck with your experiments and post pictures of your results.

Start with the heavier trouser to gauge your heat tolerance and to see if they truly drape-hang better for you

On a different note, i too recommend Dormeuil Royal 12. I have 2 three piece suits made out of it and love wearing them during the warmer days of the year

Michael, thank you for your response. Indeed, I use a Neapolitan tailor and his coats are feather light (light canvass, no shoulder padding and very often unlined)

I will look at Dormeuil Royal 12 (if I can find it) as you and Rob_Firenze have recommended.

Thanks also @chobochobo, @Isolation @kolecho @concordia for your advice ....

Alan Bee

ATWright

Reaction score
As someone who has recently accrued a few too many liabilities, how would members recommend storing cloth? Some of them are going to be stored for a few years, as I will wait till I'm fully grown to make up the rare ones. In cloth vaults, they are just stacked on shelves, but I assume the room has special considerations, e.g. temperature and light? Thanks for the recommendation.

dfoverdx

Reaction score
As someone who has recently accrued a few too many liabilities, how would members recommend storing cloth? Some of them are going to be stored for a few years, as I will wait till I'm fully grown to make up the rare ones. In cloth vaults, they are just stacked on shelves, but I assume the room has special considerations, e.g. temperature and light? Thanks for the recommendation.
If you are going to store them a couple of years there's no problem with temperature light or humidity etc. just keep them in normal room conditions. The only issue i would say (and is an important issue), is with moths, those small insects eating cloths. So don't forget to put some cedar or lavendar perfumed wood, sheet etc.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can bag in washed muslin. cedar chest is not a bad idea. if you fold yardage take out and refold every 6 months.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe fumigate the chest or closet periodically with dry ice.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dry ice, now that's novel (to me). At last, a use for it, apart from just adding water to it for effect and a few giggles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads