• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Perfect, 5m ordered...

What-- no extra Trousers?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whyriver

Reaction score
Is there any interest here in doing a slightly larger scale pattern for HFW's Worsted Alsport? Basically their worsted tweeds/ city tweeds, but in a slightly larger check for casual sport coat purposes?

An example of one of their stock fabrics/ designs. This run would basically be something like this, but in a bigger check.

I‘m in for a jacket length.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to those who showed interest.

So, I checked with HFW and this is definitely doable. The question is just design.

To keep things simple, I'm thinking of running an exploded check version of the same fabric Mr. Six is wearing in that quoted photo. There's also a lighter brown check, if that interests anyone. Not sure about that purple stripe, esp if it's a larger scale check, but maybe we can change it to a matching blue.

Their photos online have a weird yellow cast, for some reason. I have the dark brown swatch here and the color in Mr. Six's photo is accurate. So maybe best to go with that for color representation and assume the second pattern is also less yellow-y.

Last edited:

GabrielOB

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

So, I checked with HFW and this is definitely doable. The question is just design.

To keep things simple, I'm thinking of running an exploded check version of the same fabric Mr. Six is wearing in that quoted photo. There's also a lighter brown check, if that interests anyone. Not sure about that purple stripe, esp if it's a larger scale check, but maybe we can change it to a matching blue.

Their photos online have a weird yellow cast, for some reason. I have the dark brown swatch here and the color in Mr. Six's photo is accurate. So maybe best to go with that for color representation and assume the second pattern is also less yellow-y.

Nice fabric. What is the weight?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For obvious reasons, I'd like to do the lighter version, larger scale, with the purple stripe swapped for blue. My recollection is that it's more tan than yellow. I almost went with it instead of the one I did. I didn't care for the purple stripe and I like the hints of green in the one that I had made. I think that at larger scale the lighter one would be fantastic. Would you keep it at 12 oz?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nice fabric. What is the weight?

12oz.

@dieworkwear, how yellow is the lighter fabric in real life. I would not want anything that reads too yellow, but the lighter version has more life than the painfully dark version. Keep the purple stripe.

I'm not against the purple stripe, but I'd be afraid of getting it wrong. A little too much this way or that way (maybe too bright, maybe too lilac), and it can look off IMO. Sort of like that check posted a few months back with the bright blue stripe. I feel like the margin for error is a little more forgiving with blue.

For obvious reasons, I'd like to do the lighter version, larger scale, with the purple stripe swapped for blue. My recollection is that it's more tan than yellow. I almost went with it instead of the one I did. I didn't care for the purple stripe and I like the hints of green in the one that I had made. I think that at larger scale the lighter one would be fantastic. Would you keep it at 12 oz?

Maybe I should just ask for a swatch of the tan and go from there. Will contact HFW about it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that I'm working on another tan spring/ summer check. So there will be another option if this one doesn't pan out.

And yes, 12oz. I'm thinking of this as a spring/ fall fabric. Usual "shoulder season tweed" kind of logic.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prefer the second pattern. Reminds me of a toned down version of LL city gunclub which is a good thing.

Last edited:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this Minnis heavy winter hopsack in brown. The weave is very "neat" and tight, hand is soft - I really like the texture. However, I'm having second thoughts about the color - would it look brighter once made as a jacket and stand out too much? First photo depicts the color accurately.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter hopsack? So this is a heavy weight, open weave fabric? I'm not sure I understand the point of that combination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads