• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I found a lot of the brown and green swatches in the book too "confetti-ish" when I looked at it this summer at Steed (e.g. the swatch below the brown which I thought was fairly staid in the speckling).

I have a jacket from that book, which I think is fairly conservative in its speckling (#34579).

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get a donegal like effect without the speckling if you go the birdseye route from one of the jacketing books where they are done in wool or wool/cashmere blends. The other benefit is that most donegal tends to be firm with a dry finish and a wool/cashmere blend will be softer, assuming you want soft. If you prefer tweeds, then a dionegal is the way to go and there are solids, typically grey, brown or blue. I am sure the Porter and Harding books has some as does SherryTweed.

I just picked up a nice amount of H&S 14 1/2oz and 20oz cream moleskin, typically khaki is the lightest color you see these in. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM, price is a few dollars cheaper per yard than the HFW moleskins (an about half the normal price of H&S).

507 and 600

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a Donegal without the speckling? Isn't that sort of the point?

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tchoy, that's a nice looking jacket but I think you would benefit from some shoulder roping, your shoulders seem very slopped and it looks like your recent jackets all have natural shoulders, which accentuates how slopped your shoulders are. It is not a particularly good look for you, in my opinion.

I appreciate the feed back even my better half tells me my more structure jackets looks better on me. I have jackets made by different tailors some are more structure than the one shown somehow I always gravitate towards the softer style jackets it's much more comfortable. It really comes down to personal preference. I may do a version with slight padding and roping in the future.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a jacket from that book, which I think is fairly conservative in its speckling (#34579).

Could you post a picture of the finished jacket...I'm interested in making it too?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Could you post a picture of the finished jacket...I'm interested in making it too?

Unfortunately at my tailor's right now for a small adjustment. I think I might get it back next month though. Can PM you photos when it comes.

Last edited:

Fanthom

Reaction score
This is a little bit naughty, but can anyone identify any of these fabrics from Drake's new collection? I realize they might be woven especially for Drake's (or Belvest), of course. The first one is 100% wool, the second 60% wool 35% mohair 5% cashmere.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out Abraham Moon's books? I would bet pretty good money on that first tweed being Moon. If anyone has a lead on a gunclub fabric like the second one above (dark, rich undertone, highlights across the spectrum from blue-orange), point me that way.

Last edited:

seferphier

Reaction score

I couldn't disagree more. There are definitely times where down and Sorel are part of my wardrobe (I am in Upstate NY), however I truly enjoy having the right tweed, linen, cashmere ect. for the situation. I would much rather have 3 different weight tweeds than one of these stupid things: DL-
That is incredibly useful. I'm thinking of making an overcoat for this winter. I need a Donegal fabric with drape but light enough that I can wear at 15c. I originally settled on molloy but it sounds like I should consider another fabric with a light weave. Can someone recommend me a fabric? Preferably not a harrison fabric Like w bill since the Hong Kong agent has a huge mark up on fabrics.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How urban/evening/dressy do you want it to be? 15c is almost 60F-- I'd almost never wear an overcoat of any sort at that temperature unless it were punishingly damp. YMMV, of course, depending on your internal heat regulator.

One option, if you want a good city topcoat, is a suiting fabric. 13oz or 16oz. You could get a charcoal herringbone, or the same in navy. MAYBE a hopsack. Sometimes Italians do that when they want to look sharp but not overheat. You do have to be careful, as it should look like a coat and not a suit. I was going to suggest Harrison's Oyster, but there may be something similar in the VBC catalogue, or one of the very English books from Holland & Sherry or even Scabal.

If you want very crisp, and are willing to have it not last forever b/c of shine, a cavalry twill from one of the trousering books will be a pleasant step up from trenchcoat cotton and still be graceful enough to roll up easily while traveling on planes, etc.

If you want a little more casual, Donegal tweeds do breathe well. There are players other than W. Bill, but I don't know who they are at the moment. Be careful with Scabal, Dormeuil, and some others-- in addition to the real stuff, they sell "tweeds" that look to be aimed at the disposable ladies' fashion market.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Covert is about as light as I would go for a topcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads