• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Too vague. What mill/merchant? What type of fabric? Etc.

Preferably a well known English or Italian mill. Open to all types of fabrics.

There's a seller on eBay for example that sells suiting from dormeiul, Harrison's and even Kiton. I'm assuming he gets last bolts. But I've never dealt with him before.

And @edmorel sells some stuff too.

So any help would be appreciated!

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem that I have (of the tailors available in Toronto) is that most of them will charge twice the price for a suit made from 2x more expensive fabric that they source. That is ripp of, and they do it because they can. That is why I always go for basic or close to basic offering (assuming this is still decent).

If I want something a bit special, I am better of sourcing myself.

So, what is the good source?

Most tailors i've dealt with do not markup fabric they source by that much. The slight markup if any is usually offset by the lower price the tailor pays for cloth (compared to the higher price charged to ordinary non-trade consumers) and protects you from having to deal with a cloth merchant who has an incentive to deal more fairly with a frequent repeat customer such as your tailor. That being said I'd lookup harrisons and minnis agents in Canada and inquire with them to see what they offer although I can't recommend enough that you just order it through your tailor

Also, stay away from ebay unless you're dealing with a reputable seller, there are a lot of fake goods out there

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought from eBay once and I'm not in a hurry to do it again. Photos often don't represent what a fabric looks like IRL.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just be discerning. I've picked up -
a. Vintage cloths by reliable manufacturers
b. 'Last of' cloths

at good prices from Yorkshire and a few others that sell on Ebay. For example, I picked up a 10.5 oz fawn colored Barbera for Lesser suiting.. so dry it's like a fine fine suede. Probably impossible to get from a tailor. What I don't do is buy cloth on the basis of online thumbnail and description alone. That's asking for trouble.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
b. 'Last of' cloths

at good prices from Yorkshire and a few others that sell on Ebay. For example, I picked up a 10.5 oz fawn colored Barbera for Lesser suiting.. so dry it's like a fine fine suede. Probably impossible to get from a tailor. What I don't do is buy cloth on the basis of online thumbnail and description alone. That's asking for trouble.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used the Harrison's cotton for chino is excellent stuff Brisbane Moss also makes some really cottons and the price is very reasonable.

I've just discovered a bunch by Solbriati linen and cotton and having a few pairs of trousers make at the moment and it's one of the nicest I've seen.

Thanks a lot tchoy! What weight did you go with for the Harrison's cotton?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
b. 'Last of' cloths

If you don't buy on the basis on online thumbnail and description alone, what do you do? I get that you buy Vintage cloths by reliable manufacturers and 'Last of' cloths, but how do you make the decision if not on the basis on online thumbnails and description? I'm genuinely interested, as I've also had the experience of being disappointed when receiving a cloth purchased on eBay.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never bought cloth on eBay, but a friend has and supposedly had a good experience.

I don't do it because I've been disappointed by so many swatches online. You see something you think is nice, get a swatch, and it turns out the color isn't right (so many sellers don't bother to color correct images); the pattern isn't the scale you assumed; or the hand isn't what you expected.

I find it helps to buy from people who can give you more information. Ed here is good -- you can ask him if he thinks the fabric he's selling might be good for a sport coat, for example. I also find his colors are accurate in the photos. Same with Alden at LL, where you can ask him if the fabric is spongey, densely woven, etc. I've never been disappointed by the things I've bought from them, and they've all been bought online (i.e. using just word and photos).

A random seller on eBay might not give you that kind of reliable info. Or they might not have the same perspective as a clothing enthusiast.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on the basis of what I already know about the reputation of the manufacturer or distributor, largely from what I've read hereabouts. If it's a good line from an Italian or British top tier like CB or HL or J of E, Harrisons, Lovat Mill or Fox I wouldn't hesitate if it's in a weave, pattern and weight that I'm after - provided it's vintage or 'last of' and reasonably priced. Having said that, my fav cloths have nearly all been bought from other members here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads