• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To put it in another way: what weight range do you recommend for casual chinos? Thanks of your help :)

Best,
SKM

I have used Brisbane Moss Shakespeare Cotton Drill , 215 g/m2 for three chinos and have two or more lenght left for more chinos in the future.

Pretty happy to use them in the summer.

Brisbane Moss has another Cotton Drill, range Tennyson, 290 g/m2, but only in very conservative colours.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have used Brisbane Moss Shakespeare Cotton Drill , 215 g/m2 for three chinos and have two or more lenght left for more chinos in the future.

Pretty happy to use them in the summer.

Brisbane Moss has another Cotton Drill, range Tennyson, 290 g/m2, but only in very conservative colours.

Thank you so much for your input! I guess I would be fine using something in the range of 300 gr/m though I can't calculate exactly how that translates to Moss' g/m2. I even considered some 500 g/m for very casual jeans like chinos, but I don't now if that would be too insane…

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you so much for your input! I guess I would be fine using something in the range of 300 gr/m though I can't calculate exactly how that translates to Moss' g/m2. I even considered some 500 g/m for very casual jeans like chinos, but I don't now if that would be too insane…

500 grams is not insane if you are looking for something for wall and winter. My fall / winter trouser wardrobe has a bunch of 12-15 ounce wool (mostly flannel but the occasional cavalry twill), and cotton trousers in the 14-20 ounce range. They're good for keeping your legs warm on a cold day.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
21-oz corduroy is very useful stuff. Obviously twills will behave differently, but no reason not to experiment.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton also wears a lot cooler than wool, weight for weight. I have 14oz flannel trousers that are unbearably hot in situations where a 22oz moleskin / 24oz corduroy would be fine.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a WWII term for a Mackinaw coat, which is a double breasted, shawl collar style that was originally worn by fur traders and lumberjacks. The style was later adopted for more civilian purposes and was even sold at Brooks Brothers in the early 20th century.
[...more info and pictures]

Thanks. That was great.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone has experience with either W. Bill's "Irish linen & Cotton" bunch or Harrison's "Mesolair" bunch for cotton trousers? Both have cotton twills available in a range of weights and colours.

Thanks!

I've used the Harrison's cotton for chino is excellent stuff Brisbane Moss also makes some really cottons and the price is very reasonable.

I've just discovered a bunch by Solbriati linen and cotton and having a few pairs of trousers make at the moment and it's one of the nicest I've seen.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dopey,

Harry Simmons, from the 1920s, put out a number of books concerning tailoring, mtm and Mass-production. The Mackinaw coats are in some of his publications. If your tailor is not sure about a pattern, a little internet research.... His mtm book shows how to change your basic coat pattern into a number of coat styles by moving lines and adding and subtracting lines. While that book is aimed at general block patterns it works fine on personal patterns. There are other tailors that printed directions.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My advice is to order directly through your tailor

The problem that I have (of the tailors available in Toronto) is that most of them will charge twice the price for a suit made from 2x more expensive fabric that they source. That is ripp of, and they do it because they can. That is why I always go for basic or close to basic offering (assuming this is still decent).

If I want something a bit special, I am better of sourcing myself.

So, what is the good source?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Search this thread. Its been written dozens of times before. I believe there was even a pretty comprehensive list done a year or two ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads