• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Neapolitan bespoke cotton suit from Iorio is one of my favourites. Circa 260g tan cotton twill. It wrinkles a lot but feels featherweight and the handmade details shine in this cloth. Rustic beauty I guess.
To me, cotton is for the guy who’s placed way too many orders. It’s not practical. But if you like it, go for it. I’d suggest doing it with a Neapolitan tailor first to mitigate any potential disappointment (and expenditure on a suit that’s not a staple / workhorse suit).

Nico

Reaction score

Attachments

• DSC_2900-XL.jpg
    DSC_2900-XL.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 86

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posting this q both here and in the overcoat thread b/c the two have some non-overlapping participants:

Looking for heavy, very wide herringbones for an overcoat.

I know Marling & Evans makes some lovely 720g spongy herringbones, and I'm not against going in that direction – but really I'm looking for something wider.

Even this wouldn't be too wide:

View attachment 2147023

Any recommendations?

heavy and spongy , wide patterned hb ? you might look at blanket fabrics too

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that you need to defend your POV ("I like it gotdamnit" is plenty adequate lol), but curious why, or I guess in what scenarios do you prefer cotton to linen for suiting? Or do you just prefer cotton to linen, full stop?
To me, cotton is for the guy who’s placed way too many orders. It’s not practical. But if you like it, go for it. I’d suggest doing it with a Neapolitan tailor first to mitigate any potential disappointment (and expenditure on a suit that’s not a staple / workhorse suit).
I think this is fair. At some point, if you've got enough stuff there's no harm in experimenting or dabbling, if you're not one of those weirdos (me) content with blue/grey suiting

jeremygo

Reaction score
This is from a Die Workwear post from a couple years ago that sums up why (I think) some folks like cotton over linen in some situations. For what it’s worth I have 2 heavy cotton sport coats that I quite like. I feel they look
casual/lived in in a very “professorial” way that appeals to me.

A few years ago, I spoke to Michael Hill, co-owner and Creative Director of Drake’s, who told me that he loves cotton suits for the same reasons people hate them. “They’re stiff, they crumple, the color fades. I can picture my cotton suit sitting on the end of my rail at home now. The way the sleeves curl, it looks like my arms are in them, and the sleeves will probably stay like that even after the jacket has been cleaned. If you get one in heavy drill cotton, the fabric almost molds to your body. That’s the wonderful thing about cotton suits. They’re casual and age with you, much like a good pair of jeans.”

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that you need to defend your POV ("I like it gotdamnit" is plenty adequate lol), but curious why, or I guess in what scenarios do you prefer cotton to linen for suiting? Or do you just prefer cotton to linen, full stop?

I think this is fair. At some point, if you've got enough stuff there's no harm in experimenting or dabbling, if you're not one of those weirdos (me) content with blue/grey suiting

This is from a Die Workwear post from a couple years ago that sums up why (I think) some folks like cotton over linen in some situations. For what it’s worth I have 2 heavy cotton sport coats that I quite like. I feel they look
casual/lived in in a very “professorial” way that appeals to me.

For me, these are the cream db linens or solaro suits. I wouldn’t wear them into the office, but I call them my vacation suits. They make my happy to wear.

Typically, I’d stay away from browns as well, but, I broke that rule for a solaro & may break it again for a fox air brown or olive suit. It’s definitely on my list of wants.

But, for business, I don’t like browns.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
For me, these are the cream db linens or solaro suits. I wouldn’t wear them into the office, but I call them my vacation suits. They make my happy to wear.

Typically, I’d stay away from browns as well, but, I broke that rule for a solaro & may break it again for a fox air brown or olive suit. It’s definitely on my list of wants.

But, for business, I don’t like browns.
Fox air char brown might fit your desires then. It’s brown but also a hint of not-brown.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fox air char brown might fit your desires then. It’s brown but also a hint of not-brown.

I was looking at one of those, probably as a sb suit from kotaro. I would’ve done db suit from satoki, unfortunately that’s not an option.

Rowqk777

Reaction score
Hi all, I would greatly appreciate opinions/input on the following:
i am considering these two fabric colourway options/patterns below for two unlined sport coats, however, as they are for spring summer - any ideas for complementary trousers? I was thinking dove grey frescos, dark blue frescos, offwhite or cream irish linen?

- any particular fresco or tropical wool suggestion which doesnt come off as too ‘suity’

Would appreciate all help and advice! Kindest regards!

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpeg
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2334.png
    IMG_2334.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would greatly appreciate opinions/input on the following:
i am considering these two fabric colourway options/patterns below for two unlined sport coats, however, as they are for spring summer - any ideas for complementary trousers? I was thinking dove grey frescos, dark blue frescos, offwhite or cream irish linen?

- any particular fresco or tropical wool suggestion which doesnt come off as too ‘suity’

Would appreciate all help and advice! Kindest regards!

The options you mentioned are all good, in my opinion. I would add a cool pink linen for the greyish cloth, if it's not too adventurous, and a light blue and an olive linen for the beige/tan one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads