• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love heavier cloths but personally would not go that heavy for a linen suit. The regular weight W Bill/Spence Bryson stuff would be my choice.
I agree, which is why I am struggling picking the cloth. The W.Bill is the standard, but I really don't like that the finish is smooth. I like the texture that the Fox hopsack has, but it really is stiff and heavy. I don't think it would work through the summer. The SB stuff is hard to tell from the images what kind of finish they have.

I will keep poking around. Thank you for all the suggestions.

-DL

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, which is why I am struggling picking the cloth. The W.Bill is the standard, but I really don't like that the finish is smooth. I like the texture that the Fox hopsack has, but it really is stiff and heavy. I don't think it would work through the summer. The SB stuff is hard to tell from the images what kind of finish they have.

-DL

Spence Bryson is the same as W.Bill. I believe they make the W. Bill bunch in fact.

camez_

Reaction score
thank you. I got a swatch via a tailor less than two years ago but immediately dismissed it as to my touch it felt even thinner than W. Bill at 380. Perhaps I had an old bunch?

the finish is different. it is way softer and less stiff as the wbill but still just a tad thicker. also, there is another quality in the same bunch at 530g which is even thicker than the first one.

@reidd this is correct.

ZRH1

Reaction score

-DL

I can really vouch for Dugdale Lisburn, as I echo the smooth WB sentiment and I already commissioned a trouser with DL. It has texture and is not smooth without being considerably heavier.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can really vouch for Dugdale Lisburn, as I echo the smooth WB sentiment and I already commissioned a trouser with DL. It has texture and is not smooth without being considerably heavier.
Have some Irish linen suits in Minnis, W. Bill and Dugdale Lisburn. Lisburn is about the same wight as the rest but has nice surface interest and weave is more open. Wears cooler than the other two. Lisburn gets my vote these days. Forget about anything heavier if you want to wear it in the warmer months.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
I have this weird idea of making a double breasted navy suit in this HEAVY Fox Barathea

I love the super dark navy, really havent found anything similarly dark so far, and I believe it has enough texture to even work as a seperate jacket. What do you guys think? Am I completely over the line here?
Does anybody have other alternatives that are similarly dark and have enough surface texture to seperate from High Twist Trousers?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this weird idea of making a double breasted navy suit in this HEAVY Fox Barathea

I love the super dark navy, really havent found anything similarly dark so far, and I believe it has enough texture to even work as a seperate jacket. What do you guys think? Am I completely over the line here?
Does anybody have other alternatives that are similarly dark and have enough surface texture to seperate from High Twist Trousers?

Not too extravagant, in my opinion. As you said, the fabric has great texture and presence and I can see it working for separates.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the wear and handle of Harrisons Fine Classics? I’ve heard this is the present equivalent of the old Lesser in the 370g category. How does it compare to Drapers Superbio in terms of drape, heat retention, and handle?
It aims at the same aesthetic as Lesser 13 and 11/12. It isn’t as durable as the 13, of course, at least the older ones. Not sure about post-merger. But I have heard that Lesser 11/12 is now much less good than before and was always a bit softer than some liked. So if you want that weight and some crispness, it is a reasonable option.

L.deJong

Reaction score
It aims at the same aesthetic as Lesser 13 and 11/12. It isn’t as durable as the 13, of course, at least the older ones. Not sure about post-merger. But I have heard that Lesser 11/12 is now much less good than before and was always a bit softer than some liked. So if you want that weight and some crispness, it is a reasonable option.
Harrison's keeps saying that they did not change anything to the lesser 13 cloth. In the most recent video made by Thomas Mahon they assured the viewers that it was the same cloth.

So either it's not true? Or it's placebo. But I think it was Despos that said the same thing, and I trust tailors more then sales agents.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard to know. Bolts of the older legendary 13oz might actually be sturdier or may just have dried out. I should get another from that book just to see. Between LL and other exotica, I have drifted away from Lesser recently.

Last edited:

ZRH1

Reaction score

I have a SB in that. Heavy but good!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads