• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) what do people think of the lighter cloths in the Fox Worsted Flannel book (i.e. the 9/10 oz fabrics), specifically made up as a casual suit? I have seen good reviews of this book but I think they have referred mostly to the heavier fabrics.
I've never used it. I have used a Holland & Sherry worsted flannel of a similar weight (9 oz. I believe), and while I'm not a stickler for fabric performance per se, it did feel light and flimsy, relatively, and I wished I had gone heavier. That being said, it was a standard midgrey flannel, the kind you can find in any flannel book at almost any weight. This pattern and color would have fewer options.

CLH03

Reaction score
Two related questions --

1) what do people think of the lighter cloths in the Fox Worsted Flannel book (i.e. the 9/10 oz fabrics), specifically made up as a casual suit? I have seen good reviews of this book but I think they have referred mostly to the heavier fabrics.

2) looking for a brown/cream (generally more greyish-brown than redish-brown, I think) micro houndstooth flannel. Something like this Minnis flannel that is no longer available, sadly.

View attachment 2079429

This is a 9/10 oz Fox Worsted Flannel but I think the scale might be a bit smaller and the color a little warmer than what I'm looking for. I'd want to order a swatch.

View attachment 2079439
Seems kind of light for a flannel, especially if you tend to wear out your pants

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems kind of light for a flannel, especially if you tend to wear out your pants
I don't seem to wear my clothes out very quickly but I agree, this seems light for a flannel esp for trousers. That being said, I've had good experiences with other (heavier) Fox fabrics so would be willing to consider if others rate it highly.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Delicate and warm. Not what I would choose for a sticky summer day.

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
Two related questions --

I typically dont use too heavy fabrics, so for me, something in the 300 - 360 g/m range certainly qualifies for a nice winter garment. However, for a suit I would prefer a bit ligher weights on the lower end of said spectrum, than for a odd jackets/trousers.

But that is just me being special, I guess.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Probably not the best photos, but which velvet shade of these two would work best with the Fox overcoating fabric (a Chesterfield coat, as previously mentioned)? Isn't the first (upper) one too dark?
IMG_9359.JPG
IMG_9360.JPG

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent Rangoon runs are ready for delivery next week. I have some extra in black, dark navy and mid grey (suitings). Please PM if interested. Thanks.
I have a suit's length of dark blue nailhead Rangoon ready to ship from the mill. Please PM if interested. Thanks.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Different from the recent blue or last spring's navy solid?

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

It's worsted, so the cloth would be much stronger than a woollen flannel of the same weight. That being said, I haven't tried Fox's worsted flannel so I can't comment on the specific fabric.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are S120s, though. Are they really worsted?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads