• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Worsted suiting, with a sort of herringbone pattern that makes a feint to the old Reid and Taylor fabrics.
Actually, I saw the Standeven Heritage Twist bunch yesterday, and the plainer herringbones are very close to that in style. Not quite so soft a hand, but also worth considering on their own merits.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A few years ago, right after the Harrisons/Lesser/Smiths merger, Smiths Botany got roundly savaged by a sometime member here and on LL. Has anyone tried it more recently, and/or got to compare it to the pre-merger quality? One of the nicest SH suits I have is in sharkskin from that bunch.

cheersmatez

Reaction score
Ended up getting the merino tweed from abraham moon. For those who is interested, this is the dark grey herringbone. Might not be ideal for trousers though.
Abraham Moon.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standeven heritage twist bunches look awesome. I haven’t had anything made up in it yet, but I should change that next year. We’ll see: I always go in with a plan and end up with something totally different. I remember I went in to one appointment wanting a medium gray fresco summer suit double breasted. I walked out with a solid navy single breasted suit. How? I’m not sure.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, right after the Harrisons/Lesser/Smiths merger, Smiths Botany got roundly savaged by a sometime member here and on LL. Has anyone tried it more recently, and/or got to compare it to the pre-merger quality? One of the nicest SH suits I have is in sharkskin from that bunch.

Also interested to hear about recent experiences with Smiths Botany...its on my short list for a navy formal/business suit...

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Two questions:
1. I heard that Fox's listed fabric weights aren't per square meter, but insted 1x1.5 meters, is that correct?
2. I am thinking about making up a chesterfield coat in either one of these Fox fabrics: Large Herringbone in Midnight or Fox Classic Midnight Coating. Regarding the velvet collar; where would you guys recommend me to source the velvet from? Should I just go with any velvet my tailor has, or should I go for a more luxury type of velvet, as the coat fabric itself is on the more expensive side? I know that Dugdale and H&S offers velvets, but I've never seen them irl.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nearly every merchant uses 1x1.5m.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Regarding velvet @
Two questions:
1. I heard that Fox's listed fabric weights aren't per square meter, but insted 1x1.5 meters, is that correct?
2. I am thinking about making up a chesterfield coat in either one of these Fox fabrics: Large Herringbone in Midnight or Fox Classic Midnight Coating. Regarding the velvet collar; where would you guys recommend me to source the velvet from? Should I just go with any velvet my tailor has, or should I go for a more luxury type of velvet, as the coat fabric itself is on the more expensive side? I know that Dugdale and H&S offers velvets, but I've never seen them irl.

1. Yes. 1m x 150cm is standard.
2. I have a jacket made with Scabal velvet and it’s quite nice if on the expensive side. However, you don’t need much for a collar.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Regarding velvet @

1. Yes. 1m x 150cm is standard.
2. I have a jacket made with Scabal velvet and it’s quite nice if on the expensive side. However, you don’t need much for a collar.
1. Is 1x1.5m standard all across the board?
2. I've tried googling, but can't find that much information regarding Scabal's velvet. It's Italian, I presume? Hmmm, perhaps something English, as the overcoat fabric itself is English? Yeah, I'm just probably over analyzing, but it's a bit fun trying to keep the coat overly consistent...

CLH03

Reaction score
1. Is 1x1.5m standard all across the board?
2. I've tried googling, but can't find that much information regarding Scabal's velvet. It's Italian, I presume? Hmmm, perhaps something English, as the overcoat fabric itself is English? Yeah, I'm just probably over analyzing, but it's a bit fun trying to keep the coat overly consistent...
Scabal is English

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Scabal is English
I see. Thanks! I there anywhere I can browse their selection? Their own website won't let me access it without an account.

By the way, I've read a bit about silk velvet. Would that be suitable for an overcoat collar? I guess it won't be as hard wearing as cotton and rather hard to find?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Typically, bolts of cloth are 1.5m wide. So a meter of that would actually measure 1 x 1.5m square.

Roger Kearey

Reaction score
Nearly every merchant uses 1x1.5m.
Just to note, some random cloths can be narrower from merchants and in bunches.

Happened a few times when you lay a customers pattern to get the length to order. Get the cloth and as soon as you lay it on your cutting bench you can see its narrower. A customer would order say 4 of the same cloth in different shades and 2 would have different widths.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric weights are in linear meters/yards rather than square ones.

So with a 300g/m cloth, a piece that is 1m long and 1.5m wide weighs that much.
With a 12 oz/y cloth, a piece that is a yard long and 60 inches wide weighs that much.

With contemporary menswear fabrics, almost everything you encounter has a usable width of about 150cm. One exception is some handwoven tweeds which may be half the width.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to note, some random cloths can be narrower from merchants and in bunches.

Happened a few times when you lay a customers pattern to get the length to order. Get the cloth and as soon as you lay it on your cutting bench you can see its narrower. A customer would order say 4 of the same cloth in different shades and 2 would have different widths.
Caccioppoli are narrower. Happened to one of my tailors & he needed to order more fabric but caccioppoli discontinued the fabric. We had to find a new fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads