• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You read my mind. I was originally recommended (and ended up purchasing) the 4-ply (~400 gm fabric weight) from a Suitsupply salesman. Wearing it now, it definitely fits the bill for cold spring and fall, but I'm looking to venture out and add more to my collection that may fit something for a warmer climate ~15-22 degrees.

Is the regular tropical wool 'bad'? What are the disadvantages of it compared to the 4-ply besides drape and weight?
I’m not familiar with SuSu’s offerings but are their trousers lined? I wouldn’t describe 4 ply as a fall/winter cloth though in the slightest and unlined I find them to pretty much be perfect for the seasons you described. 2 ply I wouldn’t wear except for the hottest days. I just don’t think there is enough benefit to the light weight to justify the trade offs when 4 ply exists.
There's a lighter weight 3 ply? in the Ascot bunch that I believe @Despos swears by.
Ascot has 2, 4 and 6 ply. If I recall it’s like 240, 370 and 480gms.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with SuSu’s offerings but are their trousers lined? I wouldn’t describe 4 ply as a fall/winter cloth though in the slightest and unlined I find them to pretty much be perfect for the seasons you described. 2 ply I wouldn’t wear except for the hottest days. I just don’t think there is enough benefit to the light weight to justify the trade offs when 4 ply exists.

Might be the Finmeresco bunch then.

G.Gatz

Reaction score

Off the rack they're lined 3/4 down the thigh area. MTM you can choose to go full-lined with no additional charge.

The weight and drape is there for the 4-ply, but I find it hard to pair with a thin knit polo/sweater up top.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a lighter weight 3 ply? in the Ascot bunch that I believe @Despos swears by.
The cloth I like is the high twist in the Finmeresco book,
Styles SW4133 to SW4138

FYI those are the only high twist yarns in the book. Verified with Smiths about using high twist yarns and this is their response.

"We have to use High Twist core spun yarn for the lighter weight cloths in order for them to perform better, less creasing etc

The 3 & 4 ply along with the Mock Leno cloths use a lot of 21 micron yarn which already makes them bullet proof without the need for high twisting – same story with Springram, these coarser yarns don’t need added resilience."

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting together some of my spring/summer unfunded liabilities. All are HFW Frescos/Rangoon.

- Heavy Mock Leno by Kolecho for a jacket, 3 patch pockets and spalla camicia
- Light grey 2 ply for trousers, flat front, western pockets, belt loops
- Dark grey and Light grey high twist/Fresco Lite for trousers, 1 pleat, belt loops
- Charcoal and navy Rangoon by Kolecho for suits, regular shoulder, jetted pockets, trousers with 2 pleats and belt loops

D773B35A-D305-48F3-AE2C-4BA8FEE7AD2C.jpeg

3D2DF2F4-90A9-42D6-9386-6E0756A5F388.jpeg

Leiito

Reaction score
Putting together some of my spring/summer unfunded liabilities. All are HFW Frescos/Rangoon.

- Heavy Mock Leno by Kolecho for a jacket, 3 patch pockets and spalla camicia
- Light grey 2 ply for trousers, flat front, western pockets, belt loops
- Dark grey and Light grey high twist/Fresco Lite for trousers, 1 pleat, belt loops
- Charcoal and navy Rangoon by Kolecho for suits, regular shoulder, jetted pockets, trousers with 2 pleats and belt loops

View attachment 1944933

View attachment 1944935
what's a Kolecho, though?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for good quality cotten/linen blend shirting fabric, any recommandation and website to buy?
Carlo Riva Lino Arsenal. Have your shirt maker buy it though instead of getting it through Fox or Merino - it’s significantly less expensive.

Bonfanti has some good blends on sale currently if you’re after just plain white and insist on sourcing it yourself.

DJA has some nice options in the Zephir 170 bunch.

Caccioppoli has some basic blends in their summer shirting bunch that I like for casual options that aren’t as finely woven or for the extra hot days when I don’t care about opacity.

Last edited:

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
Looking for good quality cotten/linen blend shirting fabric, any recommandation and website to buy?

Last year I got myself a bunch of cotton/linen shirts. I chose four different shirtings:

Alumo:
e6719d91-0551-40ae-8b22-668b6e394a2a.jpg

IMG_2005.jpeg

Got the white for dress shirt (its also Zephirlino) and the upper striped one as button down

Albini:
IMG_2006.jpeg

I chose the light blue Fiandre for dress shirts

Caccioppoli:
IMG_2002.jpeg

Again, I chose that one for a dress shirt

I honestly like all of them and dont feel much of a difference.
Only exception is the Albini, which, after a summer of wear, I dont like stylistically that much anymore. I should have chosen more than one of the Caccioppoli instead of the "plain" Albinis.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrjosh