• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two suits made up in Bard cloth from Lovat. It definitely wears warmer than most open weave cloth.

I give it 3.5/5

Better options out there.

Interesting. I didn’t realize that. At any rate. How does mare and bard compare?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two totally different animals. Mare is a light weight cloth with a much more crisp handle.
How about in terms of breathability? I assumed mare was more like a smooth worsted vs bard / brisa was scratchy.

my understanding was that mare wouldn’t do much for me confronting hot & humid summers.

Last edited:

JHWilliams

Reaction score
How about in terms of breathability? I assumed mare was more like a smooth worsted vs bard / brisa was scratchy.

my understanding was that mare wouldn’t do much for me confronting hot & humid summers.
Mare is definitely a nice lightweight cloth with some guts to it. It isn’t a high twist, like the bard.

The bard is one of the softest high twist cloths available on the market.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a length of the Mare but have not made it up yet. I still have numerous lengths of Rangoon which will get priority.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mare is definitely a nice lightweight cloth with some guts to it. It isn’t a high twist, like the bard.

The bard is one of the softest high twist cloths available on the market.
What happened to the London lounge piuma? That was a good summer weight cloth.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor suggested Loro Piana Australis Natural Stretch for a summer suit. Have you used it? Thoughts?

I haven't experienced it, but hope it has no elastane/spandex in it. I recently had two made to order jackets, for which I initially had chosen a Loro Piana cloth, until I discovered it has some elastane and thus I picked another one.

Honestly, I think that natural fibres has enough natural stretching and there's no need for any synthetic add.

ACluelessGent

Reaction score
I haven't experienced it, but hope it has no elastane/spandex in it. I recently had two made to order jackets, for which I initially had chosen a Loro Piana cloth, until I discovered it has some elastane and thus I picked another one.

Honestly, I think that natural fibres has enough natural stretching and there's no need for any synthetic add.
Thank you. LPs website says 100% wool. Tailor said its very lightweight and wrinkle resistant.

camez_

Reaction score
received some proper english mid to lightweight suiting today:
WCzxYNLh.jpg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same about piuma. Never had the opportunity to try a length. There hasn’t been a subscription for it in quite some time
What happened to the London lounge linens? I’d be interested in that navy gun check in a linen.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The linens are available from the original source, whose name escapes me now.
For Piuma, results look good . A sort of deluxe Crispaire with some body.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads