• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I recently found a vintage Oxxford overcoat in 100% vicuna on eBay.

I purchased it because I was mostly curious about this rare and expensive cloth.

However I really can't distinguish it from a good quality cashmere.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put in an order for a peak lapel double breasted sports coat in this Linen/Wool/Silk (55%/37%/8%) blend by Solbiati (Time-Off collection)…. This weight is a 9oz / 250-260g. Just wondering whether or not this fabric will drape and hold well given the weight, or is it too light? Is there enough body/texture to look good for summer?

What do you think of the grey pattern for a DB sports coat?

17BD199D-7EE6-472C-B17D-4D9B3550C64A.jpeg

ABFC5D73-87D0-42B9-B2C2-9D70BF542258.jpeg

Attachments

• FEDAFC2D-A103-46D3-92E2-FE0237417F6F.jpeg
    FEDAFC2D-A103-46D3-92E2-FE0237417F6F.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 21

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s already wrinkling just sitting there in the book. But that will be part of the charm, and the DB cut might keep in place better. FWIW, I have done a DB sport jacket in good heavy Irish linen and often wished it weren’t so sturdy. Drape, etc.

paborden

Reaction score
So, just got done watching Vengeance, and found the general aesthetic they put Ashton Kutcher's character in quite inspiring, moreso now that I'm spending more time in Texas.

19d8be51-1e6f-4d16-85d7-2a552ec7691a-AshK.png

Love the cream pinstripe and would love to find something like that in linen? Anyone seen anything?

vengeance-ashton-kutcher-moustache-mc-220812-faa81b.png

A white suit is easy enough to find but that embroidery is actually amazing. Does anyone know where you can get embroidery like that done?

And don't get me started on the hats. I want both of them. Any guesses there?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, just got done watching Vengeance, and found the general aesthetic they put Ashton Kutcher's character in quite inspiring, moreso now that I'm spending more time in Texas.

View attachment 1865529

Love the cream pinstripe and would love to find something like that in linen? Anyone seen anything?

View attachment 1865530

A white suit is easy enough to find but that embroidery is actually amazing. Does anyone know where you can get embroidery like that done?

And don't get me started on the hats. I want both of them. Any guesses there?
You may find this post of interest. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...thread-about-new-tailors.699931/post-11038047

As for the hats - Have you considered something custom? Northwestern Hats seems like a pretty reasonably priced gateway into that without going nuts.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put in an order for a peak lapel double breasted sports coat in this Linen/Wool/Silk (55%/37%/8%) blend by Solbiati (Time-Off collection)…. This weight is a 9oz / 250-260g. Just wondering whether or not this fabric will drape and hold well given the weight, or is it too light? Is there enough body/texture to look good for summer?

What do you think of the grey pattern for a DB sports coat?

View attachment 1865463

View attachment 1865462
I wouldn't go DB on this, but, regardless, embrace wrinkling, unless you wear this into the office and strip down to shirt sleeves. At that weight, 50%+ linen composition is going to invite wrinkles from the get go.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That post was just what I was looking for. Next question is whether to use a linen suit or a gabardine (or something else) suit as a base...
Gabardine or prunelle would be my vote. Drapers taupes and creams are always excellent - check Cotton Club.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, is there anyway to access Loro Piana's different books through the web?

Best way is through the LP app:

in the dropdown, you can choose either Loro Piana or Solbiati

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Best way is through the LP app:

in the dropdown, you can choose either Loro Piana or Solbiati
Thanks. Seems like I need some kind of account to sign in (no trace of an account creation page to be found). Although I got another link a page back where LP's fabrics are listed.

By the way, I was thinking of commissioning a jacket for winter use. What do you guys think about either LP's 667032 (370g wool) or 667037 (330-350g baby camel)? Both are from their blazer book. Are they too plain for an odd jacket? The first one looked quite luxurious when I saw a sample a couple of days ago.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Seems like I need some kind of account to sign in (no trace of an account creation page to be found). Although I got another link a page back where LP's fabrics are listed.

By the way, I was thinking of commissioning a jacket for winter use. What do you guys think about either LP's 667032 (370g wool) or 667037 (330-350g baby camel)? Both are from their blazer book. Are they too plain for an odd jacket? The first one looked quite luxurious when I saw a sample a couple of days ago.

First of all, you need to check availability of those fabrics because the bunch is not a new one. This can be easily done by your tailor or MTM house that you will use should the have a professional account with and hence an access to the on-line system of LP.

About the said selection: 667032 is a very nice one with a proper weight; I believe that it calls for a Blazer, being more refined, and this is its destined use according to the maker. On the other hand, and these are purely personal views, I see the 667037 working more as a Sport Coat, being more hairy, thus more rustic.

Best,

Dimitris

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a linen - wool Drago made up.
1670678907874.png

1670678991411.png

Thank you

-

Last edited:

xizenta

Reaction score
Asking this again, has anyone here had any suits or trousers made of lightweight escorial (9-11 oz)? I would like to know how it performs in holding a crease.

Might make a suit out of this next:

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys! I want to give a special thanks and shoutout to longtime SF member and vintage cloth provider @edmorel . He is truly a class act guy!!!

A while back I purchased this vintage cashmere 45% and 55% silk Zegna Glencheck from Ed for my Neapolitan bespoke project. The transaction was smooth and the shipping was exceptionally fast.

86DEFA6B-E1A3-465A-B5DD-8DF837BB6FCD.jpeg
2C15374B-643C-49D4-91F5-172C37E5DDC1.jpeg

Fast forward……Upon completion of the jacket project, I noticed a lot of tightness and range of motion issues with my jacket. As it turns out, my upper sleeves are too narrow and need to be modified. This will ultimately require a full remake of my sleeves. Fortunately, my tailor has very graciously agreed to remake the sleeves, as long as I am able to procure the necessary length of cloth.

A few days ago I contacted Ed regarding my predicament and asked him about acquiring a small length of cloth for my sleeve modification. Although jacket lengths are no longer available, Ed was able to find for me a small .73 meter length and agreed to ship it to me at no cost. I can not tell you how grateful I am for his kindness and service. It is a blessing to have people like him on this forum that are willing to go out of their way to help people. For this, reason I wanted share my experience and send a special thank you to Ed Morel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics