• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but where would you source ribbing made with natural fibers? I'm looking to have a zip jacket made and have bought a good length of wool / cashmere jersey, but getting the ribbing turns out to be the challenging part🤦

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This can work too. I particularly like Daniel's blazer (first pic). If you're going trad, then go all the way!
Yup. A standard preppy formula-- the main offering from Brooks Brothers for some decades. Welted pocket dials the whole thing back a bit, or you can look more continental by going for three open patch pockets without the double row of stitching.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Saw that Holland & Sherry offers flannel fabrics at around 560g when I was looking for trouser fabrics today (commissioned a pair of trousers, although in a more modest weight). When do you wear such heavy trousers? Only suitable for use in the country side? Any use for such trousers in the city, or would they be too warm for office wear?

Stone

Reaction score
Saw that Holland & Sherry offers flannel fabrics at around 560g when I was looking for trouser fabrics today (commissioned a pair of trousers, although in a more modest weight). When do you wear such heavy trousers? Only suitable for use in the country side? Any use for such trousers in the city, or would they be too warm for office wear?

At air conditioned temperatures, I find heavy trouser fabrics (500+ gram fox flannels, 600 gram cavalry twills) just as comfortable as lighter ones. The difference is that those heavy trousers remain comfortable outdoors if it's cold.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
At air conditioned temperatures, I find heavy trouser fabrics (500+ gram fox flannels, 600 gram cavalry twills) just as comfortable as lighter ones. The difference is that those heavy trousers remain comfortable outdoors if it's cold.
Well, it’ll get real cold here in Stockholm next week already. As it’s winter, heating is on everywhere indoors. The salesman I spoke to said that it might get a bit too warm for office wear.

Would such heavy flannels need to be fully lined? I have my regular flannels fully lined. I guess the heavier ones would be a bit more “scratchy” and thus in need of lining. At the same time, I guess they might just get too heavy?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fully lined helps. One comment made years ago here is just as useful-- places like New York often have coffee shops and diners that have a lot of cold air coming in from the outside. You get a real cold January or February day, and you'll be glad for that if you're walking around town. Also, if you are walking around, the cloth will slowly absorb cold air to the point that you won't feel all that bad in the office. And if you do, keep the temperature below 70F.

Stone

Reaction score
Well, it’ll get real cold here in Stockholm next week already. As it’s winter, heating is on everywhere indoors. The salesman I spoke to said that it might get a bit too warm for office wear.

Would such heavy flannels need to be fully lined? I have my regular flannels fully lined. I guess the heavier ones would be a bit more “scratchy” and thus in need of lining. At the same time, I guess they might just get too heavy?

Hm, my heavy flannel trousers aren’t particularly soft and they’re unlined, but I don’t find them itchy—nothing like a fresco or a mohair. It might be nice to line them, though, for added warmth. A long time ago I had a pair of fully lined tan heavy cotton twill trousers from the first season of Brooks Brothers Black Fleece and those felt incredible.

this is more or less what I’ve learned about how I respond to different fabric weights:

>75F: all tailored clothing feels hot
70-75F: lighter weight cloths are nice
50F-70F: weight doesn’t really matter, everything feels comfortable.
>50F: heavier the better

JHWilliams

Reaction score
The have a pair of heavyweight flannel trousers. They are supremely comfortable and warm in the winter.

Fad P

Reaction score

I def think they will be ok to wear in the city.

xizenta

Reaction score
Here's some swatches I found interesting from the trunk show in Los Angeles with Antonio Pastena (x-post from the Unofficial Sartoria Pastena Elegance thread).

Fabrics include:

Standeven Primavera Escorial 20022, 20023 (possible suits)
Fox Air FA16, FA35 (possible suits)
Holland and Sherry Crispaire 337043 (trousers)
Fox Flannel CL11 (odd trousers or odd jacket), CL27 (trousers), CL30 (suit)
Drapers Ascot 18017, 18018, 18022 (possible suits)

Has anyone seen any of these made up? Also, how well does the escorial hold a crease for trousers?

Attachments

• IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 290

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads