• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Fearnought is definitely on the heavy end of that, and is a bit shy of design alternatives. That said, I want to try the 'light navy' (quasi-RAF) twill at some point. Lesser 13 used to rule whenever you didn't want to reach to 16oz. But that was pre-merger. I don't know if that is still correct. There is also Lesser 13oz Golden Bale, which is very nice but not the same purpose, exactly.

Then over on London Lounge, there are two or three different quality lines that are coming up with some splendidly boring classics in the mid/heavyweight category

I was disappointed with the colors and patterns in the Fearnought bunch. I was hoping for just a bit more of a refined handle. It’s just a hair too harsh for me.

English & Town Classics is even more harsh on the handle in 14/15 ounces. I have a few suits from this bunch. Sturdy cloth, decent drape.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What book is the current mid/heavy worsted king these days? Lesser 13? Fearnought?

Besides those already quoted by you and others, there's also Smith Woollens but not sure of quality these days. Harrisons Oyster AKA Thistle is solid as well.

Nico

Reaction score
Anyone's got some first hand experience with the Tailor and Lodge Iconic Collection? Some classic worsted in there too.

Guizp

Reaction score
Anyone's got some first hand experience with the Tailor and Lodge Iconic Collection? Some classic worsted in there too.

I have a SB suit in a LGB grey ( ref: AVR/66834/C3 ) and will have the navy sharkskin LGB to be made soon.

My tailor and I find the book really nice. Good drape, stays in shape during the day.
Feels English also but has a nice hand.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
> Lesser > ?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Botany used to be an alternative to Lesser 13. Frank Shattuck laid into it soon after the merger, saying it was nowhere near what it was. On the other hand, Lesser has also shown signs of coasting on its brand equity. And both labels are owned by Harrisons.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Botany used to be an alternative to Lesser 13. Frank Shattuck laid into it soon after the merger, saying it was nowhere near what it was. On the other hand, Lesser has also shown signs of coasting on its brand equity. And both labels are owned by Harrisons.
Frank has the old books to compare to the new. He is spot on.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still have some Lesser 13 suits from 20 years ago. I can't say I have worn them a ton every year, but they still feel like armor.

Only one Botany suit-- lovely RAF/Char-blue sharkskin. Pre-merger-- very good also.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have some Lesser 13 suits from 20 years ago. I can't say I have worn them a ton every year, but they still feel like armor.

Only one Botany suit-- lovely RAF/Char-blue sharkskin. Pre-merger-- very good also.
Can you get Alden to make more of the R & T Herringbone ?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you get Alden to make more of the R & T Herringbone ?
Those are very different from the Botany and Lesser 13. But also very nice. I have made two (lost one to moths) and have a few safety copies in the archives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads