• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ckessani

Reaction score
I've used a 80/20 wool/linen from Alfred Brown and been very pleased with the result for a summer suit. I actually just wore mine yesterday in the 100° Chicago heat and I was shocked how comfortable it was (seersucker shirt helped.)
My two cents on blue is that the finished garment always looks much "bluer" than the swatch. Royal blue is going to look very, very blue. If that's the look you want then go for it, but I find a navy to be more versatile.
Good point, i definitely do not want sonething too blue, given my olive skin it could look quite bad!

Maron

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can make a recommendation for a summer wool jacketing. Here's my ideal:
1. Perhaps a wool-linen-silk blend, but I'm open to something else cool-wearing with the right texture
2. Subtle check/plaid
3. Darkish muted brown--maybe brown and grey woven together, ideally with a navy or quite subtle blue overcheck
4. Something with some texture, perhaps from the linen or from slubby silk, maybe a little texture to the wool

Any suggestions where to look?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can make a recommendation for a summer wool jacketing. Here's my ideal:
1. Perhaps a wool-linen-silk blend, but I'm open to something else cool-wearing with the right texture
2. Subtle check/plaid
3. Darkish muted brown--maybe brown and grey woven together, ideally with a navy or quite subtle blue overcheck
4. Something with some texture, perhaps from the linen or from slubby silk, maybe a little texture to the wool

Cacciopoli specialize in just this kind of thing. They come out with a new book every Spring and it’s basically exactly what you describe.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. Subtle check/plaid

would love to see what you end up with

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. Subtle check/plaid

Loro Piana Mare, Caccioppoli 3201 Jackets, 3202 Suits, 3001 Jackets would be the most accessible

ckessani

Reaction score
2. Subtle check/plaid

Why not Minnis Fresco III (the 9/10oz part)? There is the famous not-quite-RAF that was once #521. And others, as well. Can wear to the office, to the opera, or lunch in town.
The most available high twist open weave for me is drapers ascot 4 ply at 177 per euro although likely much less through the tailr. Is pursuing fox air/fox city going to give me a smoother more luxurious end result or is it simply a different version of the same thing? The colors and patterns do seem more my taste at leasr

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use some help picking a blue suit fabric. Main purpose is end of summer wedding but don't have any other bespoke garments so some versatility would be welcome, mainly leisure related. I live in us on the east coast.

Tailer has pointed me in the way of loro piana 703 natural stretch 220 gr 150 cloth in royal blue.

I am also looking at drapers 90 10 wool silk mix 250 gr only the pinstripe is available, but i quite like the look of it.

Drapers 4 ply fresco is an option but there didn't seem to be a good blue in the bunch and im not sure what the end result would look like. Any suggestions would be appreciated. View attachment 1803274 View attachment 1803277
A 220g wool may not tailor very well and would be prone to a lot of wrinkling.

Since I'm currently on a Standeven kick, how about the Carnival kid mohair/wool?
16041_WAVY.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana Mare, Caccioppoli 3201 Jackets, 3202 Suits, 3001 Jackets would be the most accessible

I have had my eyes on this one for a while.

LittleDab

Reaction score
Following back up here now that I've had a chance to wear the 11oz Standeven Explorer a few times.
View attachment 1802353
The weave is very open and breathable. I walked 7 blocks in this suit today in 90 degree DC weather and didn't break a sweat. Wrinkle resistance and durability are high. This fabric really bounces back and holds a crease perfectly.

However, it's definitely on the coarser side (some might say "scratchy"). Personally that doesn't bother me and in fact I think it gives it some pretty incredible moisture wicking properties, so you don't get that horrible sticky feeling on your legs. But it takes a little getting used to, especially if you typically wear smoother worsteds and flannels.
Beautiful! Love the suit and the fabric looks great. Thanks for sharing. I'm even more excited for mine now

L.deJong

Reaction score
haven't handled either personally, just passing along what I had heard in case it helps someone else out.
I have both bunches here. Tried them side by side and can tell you that Fox Air is a little less rough.
Fox air is also different when it comes to colours, there is more use of different colours and less 'boring'.
While there is also enough of the usual blues and greys.

I went with Dugdale Tropicalair, it was way cheaper for me, and they had the right shade of grey.
It's the same weight, and as stated I think it's the same weaver that weaves them both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads