• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Maybe you can help me with my order...

Saturday I will go to my tailor, I can't describe how happy I am! He went on hiatus for 3 years, not of his doing of course.
He is pushing it to 78 years already, and I almost thought we would lose him because his home town was hit hard by the virus. So it's a wonder he can even make the journey from Italy.

But that leaves me to my order, I will be ordering a lot. Not only because I haven't bought a lot these past years. But I reckon that he will be closing shop pretty soon.

But it's the first time I will order trousers that I will probably wear without a jacket, normally I will always order my trousers really high-waisted so I can wear them with suspenders. But not with anything else because they are so high waisted.
This time I have options, using a belt or going beltless and for side tabs, this question almost drives me insane.:crazy:

I will list the cloth here so you can make up your own mind:
One of them is what to do with these summer trousers (100% linen - Natural Elements by Dugdale):
First is Oatmeal second is cream:

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

Most of the details are known: 5cm/2inch cuffs, double pleats and on the seam pockets (standard for all my trousers).
But should I go for a belt or for side tabs, I will be wearing this standalone or with a jacket.
In the heat of summer, I will probably only wear a nice dress shirt. So suspenders are out of the question. I hate to wear suspenders without something covering them.

I will also be making a suit with two trousers, tropicalair by Dugdale. Really nice summer cloth.
One trouser made really high waisted for suspenders (to wear as a suit), and one trouser for wearing with belt or side tabs (as stand alone trouser).
Again should I go for a belt or for side tabs with the second trouser?
BodI3hT.jpg

Then I will also be ordering a navy blue blazer from the London Lounge Ultimate blazer 2.
This of course is easy, just semi-soft shoulders, normal shoulder, patch pockets and probably lined.
9Dk1l5U.jpg

Last but not least, I want to make up a chino in a nice semi-thin cotton (just your classic flat front khakis, so without the pleats).
And a nice grey flannel trouser (made up as standard trousers). Both of which I do not know what cloth I will be using.
So if you have some suggestions let me know!

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've gone belt for all my trousers, except the most formal of suits (like a dark worsted). I think a belt adds something nice to an outfit and it's a chance to accessorize.

The only thing is the rise. If the trousers are very, very high rise, then I think they look better without a belt.

Marshak

Reaction score

Saturday I will go to my tailor, I can't describe how happy I am! He went on hiatus for 3 years, not of his doing of course.
He is pushing it to 78 years already, and I almost thought we would lose him because his home town was hit hard by the virus. So it's a wonder he can even make the journey from Italy.

But that leaves me to my order, I will be ordering a lot. Not only because I haven't bought a lot these past years. But I reckon that he will be closing shop pretty soon.

But it's the first time I will order trousers that I will probably wear without a jacket, normally I will always order my trousers really high-waisted so I can wear them with suspenders. But not with anything else because they are so high waisted.
This time I have options, using a belt or going beltless and for side tabs, this question almost drives me insane.:crazy:

One of them is what to do with these summer trousers (100% linen - Natural Elements by Dugdale):

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

Most of the details are known: 5cm/2inch cuffs, double pleats and on the seam pockets (standard for all my trousers).
But should I go for a belt or for side tabs, I will be wearing this standalone or with a jacket.
In the heat of summer, I will probably only wear a nice dress shirt. So suspenders are out of the question. I hate to wear suspenders without something covering them.

I will also be making a suit with two trousers, tropicalair by Dugdale. Really nice summer cloth.
One trouser made really high waisted for suspenders (to wear as a suit), and one trouser for wearing with belt or side tabs (as stand alone trouser).
BodI3hT.jpg

Then I will also be ordering a navy blue blazer from the London Lounge Ultimate blazer 2.
This of course is easy, just semi-soft shoulders, normal shoulder, patch pockets and probably lined.
9Dk1l5U.jpg

Last but not least, I want to make up a chino in a nice semi-thin cotton (just your classic flat front khakis, so without the pleats).
And a nice grey flannel trouser (made up as standard trousers). Both of which I do not know what cloth I will be using.

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg

For the semi-casual trousers: belt + no cuffs + 1 pleat (French or Italian but I would opt for an Italian). I don't order any flat front anymore. The pleat brings some drama to the trousers.

For the suit trousers: sidetabs + cuffs + 1 or 2 pleats (I find difficult to Wear a 2 pleats pair as a separate).

It's the kind of formula which works well, at least for me and other guys.

Is your tailor from North Italia?

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

BodI3hT.jpg

9Dk1l5U.jpg

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg
For linen trousers worn without jackets, I like medium rise, belt loops, flat front, and cuffed. The belt + flat front looks a little more casual but the cuffs add some weight to the hem for drape.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

BodI3hT.jpg

9Dk1l5U.jpg

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg

Agree with much that has already been said.

For casual trousers (to be worn without jackets) I can go either belt (adds another outfit element, and visual interest) or beltless/side tabs. Rise is important, too high and belted does look weird (see the film, Her)

Flat front w/ cuffs as TSB stated. I am also trying out a shallow single pleat with cuffs for separate trousers....

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

BodI3hT.jpg

9Dk1l5U.jpg

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg
I go with single reverse pleats and belt loops on linen trousers. Flat front on the worsted trousers.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

BodI3hT.jpg

9Dk1l5U.jpg

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg
For the odd trousers, why not get two pair: one with a configuration with a jacket and one without?

JHWilliams

Reaction score

ZS4x6t0.jpg

HVWnWei.jpg

BodI3hT.jpg

9Dk1l5U.jpg

BONUS me and my tailor:
H7tTcn0.jpg

high rise with braces. Otherwise you will look like a Boston Brahmin

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone had anything made up from the new Maison Hellard linen book? Wondering how it compares to Solbiati's Art Du Lin.

I don't, but a friend of mine has a jacket in it. He said he likes it -- softer that W Bill, stiffer than Solbiati -- but is not sure if he would use the fabric for pants. For that reason, I went with W Bill because I'm getting a suit. But @Jmr928 is currently getting a suit in Hellard linen and can probably say more once he gets the garment.

Which one would you choose between these two?

I would do shell, but I think both would look nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads