• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bersabee

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what suit fabrics would be more appropriate for Toronto weather. I'm not too familiar with fabrics - that being said I am trying to split them up by season (Summer/All-Season & Winter). Summers get very warm (around 20-30 Celsius) while winters get somewhat chilly (-20Cish on colder days).

Here is what I am looking at:
- Summer: VBC 2-ply (230g, 8 Oz) or Dugdale Fine Worsted (280-310g / 8-9oz)
I would think that these above could be also used for the warmer fall/spring days.
- Winter: Drago Super 130s Rugby Flannel (290-300g/10oz) or VBC Flannel (340g/11 oz)

I am mostly worried about the summers as I sweat a lot. In the winter, I usually wear long johns under my trousers so do not need anything crazy thick.

Anything in specific I should look at? Not really trying to go too casual on the fabric.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Grabbed VBC flannels for my upcoming trip to NYC

Dont get to wear much flannel in Asia, super excited, I love flannels!

From the 340g woollen flannel book

20211227_121015.jpg

mactire

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for green velvet for a dinner jacket? Thinking a dark bottle green; my brother in law’s wedding is likely to be fall of 2023 and they were thinking jewel tones and black tie so I figure I could get a step ahead and get the unfunded liability first

Range of velvets on sale here:

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what suit fabrics would be more appropriate for Toronto weather. I'm not too familiar with fabrics - that being said I am trying to split them up by season (Summer/All-Season & Winter). Summers get very warm (around 20-30 Celsius) while winters get somewhat chilly (-20Cish on colder days).

I would think that these above could be also used for the warmer fall/spring days.
- Winter: Drago Super 130s Rugby Flannel (290-300g/10oz) or VBC Flannel (340g/11 oz)

I am mostly worried about the summers as I sweat a lot. In the winter, I usually wear long johns under my trousers so do not need anything crazy thick.

Anything in specific I should look at? Not really trying to go too casual on the fabric.

Although I am not as experienced as others in this thread in regards to cloth, I am informed enough to recommend an approach in regards to the “bulk” of a suit wardrobe for someone living in your type climate. Assuming that you are going the bespoke route, I would totally take advantage of and highly recommend (heavy) “good” English cloth. For 8 months out of the year in Toronto 370-410g worsteds should be able to be worn easily, with or without an long John’s and/or an overcoat. In addition, they tend to tailor extremely well and have excellent longevity/durability. In all, I would focus on this weight range of worsteds for the foundation of the suit wardrobe. I’ll defer to others in regards to advice on warm weather cloth recommendations for your climate.

Some 370-410g cloth examples are:
1. H lesser 13oz
2. Smith woolens botany
3. Harrison’s Oyster
4. Dugdale English and town classics
5. Huddersfield fine worsted Classic 2
6. Holland and Sherry classic worsteds
7. Bateman Ogden Yorkdale

Simon A

Reaction score

My opinion is, if opting for flannel, wear it in winter and go for heavyweight (450-500g); it has a much greater depth of colour, holds a crease better, and is more durable in general than the 300g flannels. You won't need the long johns in winter, just go with over-the-calf socks. Gorina of Spain make excellent flannels for a very fair price. I wear them at -20C with an overcoat and am perfectly fine, and they are fine in the office as well.

For summer, you will see a lot of opinions in the archives here for British open-weave worsteds of the Fresco type (Fresco/Finmeresco/Tropicalair/Brisa). I like them a lot as they are well suited to hot/humid conditions, even when quite heavy, but they are not to everybody's taste.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an ulster coat? I'd like something traditional, camel, or camel colored, not to heavy, not too light. TIA!

JHWilliams

Reaction score

I was told to avoid the 2 py VBC and go with the 4 ply with buggy lining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads