• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ctp120

Reaction score
Thanks.

#1 is definitely not a herringbone. Doesn't look like any donegal I've ever seen either, especially in texture, though I've never heard of a barley-corn donegal, so perhaps I'm only familiar with more common versions of donegals.

#2 is obviously a check with a windowpane over it, but I wonder if this version has a particular name. I'm tempted to call it a gun club, but not sure if the check itself needs to be multicolored to qualify.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this: I've been corresponding with someone who reads my blog. I'm not sure of his background, but I believe he's a tailor. He certainly knows a lot about the trade.

Anyway, we were talking about various shirting issues yesterday and he confirmed that sometimes - depending on who you get your shirting from and where you take it to be made up - you may want to preshrink your fabrics. His instructions:

Steps are,
1: take the cut(not the selvage) ends and sew them up(not together, just sew the raw edge on itself) overlock(merrow) or hand overcast will do, this is to prevent the cloth from fraying in the wash.
2: throw it in the washer, run it as you would normally, cold water etc.
3: tumble dry, high temp is fine, dryer sheet and all.
4: re-true the grain, press it and cut.

Most producers won't bother with this process, but the resulting shirt elevates the lowly PB cloth into something really great. I had problems with the cloth until I started running the goods through a wash cycle.

On high end fabrics, this process is done in finishing. Aluomo as an example only uses water and detergent when finishing their cloth. Effectively preshrinking the goods on the roll(figurative not literal).

Thought it that might be helpful given people's earlier discussions on this topic.

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
Thanks.

#1 is definitely not a herringbone. Doesn't look like any donegal I've ever seen either, especially in texture, though I've never heard of a barley-corn donegal, so perhaps I'm only familiar with more common versions of donegals.

#2 is obviously a check with a windowpane over it, but I wonder if this version has a particular name. I'm tempted to call it a gun club, but not sure if the check itself needs to be multicolored to qualify.
Grand so, barleycorn Donegals aren't seen often these days but they do exist, the LL had one made by Molloy & Sons in Donegal. There are also pinstripes, houndstooths [houndsteeth?] checks and windowpanes made at various points.

Can't help you with the name of the second one I too thought it had to be a small multicoloured check to be a gun club, but names differ greatly from place to place anyway.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grand so, barleycorn Donegals aren't seen often these days but they do exist, the LL had one made by Molloy & Sons in Donegal.  There are also pinstripes, houndstooths [houndsteeth?] checks and windowpanes made at various points.

Can't help you with the name of the second one I too thought it had to be a small multicoloured check to be a gun club, but names differ greatly from place to place anyway.

It actually looks more like a Russian twill than a barleycorn (although this is hard to identify without a close-up). They are not much different: Russian twill is the middle between barleycorn and herringbone.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your impressions of the fabric Choy?

I also have a few Brisa suits: the light grey, dark grey, navy PoW, and a navy solid in the works. It is a tough fabric that resists creases well, breathes well, and feels lighter than its weight. I wouldn't call it spongey, except maybe in comparison to a very dry cloth. It is still relatively crisp feeling, like a dry worsted.

Also, I saw the Golden Bale book this morning and now I want some! Frack. The dark grey birdseye (31167, I think) looks nice. Has anyone had that made up and if so, what kind of suit?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, I saw the Golden Bale book this morning and now I want some! Frack. The dark grey birdseye (31167, I think) looks nice. Has anyone had that made up and if so, what kind of suit?

I like that one as well. I was trying to decide between that and the navy birdseye for a DB suit. (Though I think the number may be 31178.)

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the grey birdseye Golden Bale pre Harrison made up quite a few years ago. It remains one of my favourite suit, it was one of the nicest fabric that I've come across. I haven't see the new Golden Bale book but so I can't comment on the fabric post Harrisons taken over. My was a 3 button single breasted suit.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the grey birdseye Golden Bale pre Harrison made up quite a few years ago. It remains one of my favourite suit, it was one of the nicest fabric that I've come across. I haven't see the new Golden Bale book but so I can't comment on the fabric post Harrisons taken over. My was a 3 button single breasted suit.

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if the cloth will be OK as a DB. An SB, probably with notch lapels, is the default choice.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

. . .

One of my first good English-style suits was a birdseye DB (Polo, in 1988). It lasted a long time as one of my favorites but is long since gone. Eventually I will have it remade. If you make yours DB, you will make me happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads