• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JHWilliams
Frescos are polarizing with my clientele. Some like and enjoy wearing them and others strongly dislike The look and feel of it.
I would not show them to a client if they want a dressy suit. I don’t see fresco, finmeresco or ascot used for formal uses. it’s my opinion.
I get a lot of repeat orders for Premier Cru suits so I have to say it’s a very individual choice.
My tailor shops were in Dallas and Chicago. But clientele is from every area in the USA.
As a Despos client, I am biased (or at least influenced) but I own two frescos and a premier cru so I have first-hand knowledge.

I chose premier cru for my Despos navy wedding suit and do not regret the choice for a second. It is the suit that I reach for when I will be attending a fancy dinner and don’t want to draw attention with my 1BPL, for example. We considered other suitings but never frescos even though I was well aware of that suiting.

On the other hand, my two frescos were made by my Neapolitan tailor with patch pockets as they are more casual business suits (even though they are solid navy and grey) that I’ll wear to the office but not to court. If I made them with flapped pockets I would wear them to court but, to me (and my Neapolitan tailor) frescos called for a casual configuration. I went with Rangoon for my court suits.

If I flipped the two fabrics, I would not be happy with the choice. A fresco wedding suit would not feel right (too rustic and textured) and a premier cru casual suit would not feel right either.

Last edited:

krudsma

Reaction score
I'm looking for a brown tweed but with a cooler tone - a lot of the stuff I'm seeing skews more red/yellow.

Something maybe in this neighborhood? Color is right but I'd prefer something with a little more surface interest. Ideally in the 15 - 17 oz. range.

TD5-Char-BrownSplitHairline-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_2_1800x1800.jpg
I ended up going with this one: https://foxflannel.com/products/check?_pos=68&_sid=4438d39c7&_ss=r
Curious to see how this turns out - half of the photos on the website look grey, half look brown. Already have a grey Fox tweed so I'm hoping it winds up looking more like the swatch photo when made up.

hitsuji

Reaction score
Has anyone had a feel of the New Standeven Heritage Twist bunch? They're woven by Kynoch in Scotland.. 20oz stuff looks like some of the old Reid and Taylor twists.

The patterns look good for an odd jacket.. wondering about the hand feel though

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of this is clarifying language. Does 'formal' mean a state dinner at the White House, or appropriate for the courtroom, office, or church on a summer afternoon? Fresco/Finmeresco will cover the former if the correct cut and color, but they will be much happier if they can be held to the latter roles.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Has anyone had a feel of the New Standeven Heritage Twist bunch? They're woven by Kynoch in Scotland.. 20oz stuff looks like some of the old Reid and Taylor twists.

I have a suit made with it, but out of the old bunch. It's fantastic! My tailor was grinning like a little boy he clearly liked it very much.
Pic or it didn't happen.

Attachments

• 20241019_131221.jpg
    20241019_131221.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 27

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first choice is 2-ply light weight Ascot. Like the colors more.

Have only used Fox flannel, once for a suit and another time for trousers. Clients supplied the cloth.
Haven't seen fox air. Don't know what it is.
Chris,

The Foxair is a throwback scratchy fresco like the old 13oz. Minnis with a finish like sandpaper. Which for me is not a drawback, but an advantage.

-David

camez_

Reaction score

I'll tell you soon, just waiting to get the new bunch delivered

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chris,

The Foxair is a throwback scratchy fresco like the old 13oz. Minnis with a finish like sandpaper. Which for me is not a drawback, but an advantage.

-David
Illustrates my point. Some characteristics of a cloth are a feature that some are drawn to and appreciate while the same characteristics are a turn off to others.
Over simplification:
Everyone likes something and no one likes everything;
choose what you like

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris,

-David
I’m in total agreement with you on this. I like it. But, to Despos’s point, it isn’t for everyone.

If you’re okay with the texture I see no reason it can’t be a formal non-tuxedo suit (which is to say, depending upon color, used for anything up to a black tie event).

hitsuji

Reaction score
I'll tell you soon, just waiting to get the new bunch delivered
I’d probably get the 14oz just for how practical it is but the 20oz is calling for me.

Is anyone able to ID this standeven bunch? I got a few metres of it from ebay.

Selvedge says “100% Exclusive superfine wool *** London Shrunk *** Made in England by Standeven ***"

Not been able to find anything about it apart from the fact it might be an old Escorial bunch? its about 12/13oz

Attachments

• IMG_8420.jpeg
    IMG_8420.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8419.jpeg
    IMG_8419.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 29

CLH03

Reaction score

The 14 oz is plenty heavy. Wearing mine tonight to a wedding, such a pleasure to wear
657EE89B-813F-4103-B5FB-FA9119568002.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably an older British classic cloth, nothing to rave about imo

Won't be an Escorial since that is an expensive product that will always be on display on the selvedge
Nothing special, yeah, it’s a decent fabric. London shrunk is a treatment to the fabric.

The London shrunk finish makes the fabric permanent, even during tailoring and steam pressing. It also gives the fabric a sleek quality and makes it more durable, wrinkle-resistant, and easy to wear.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be a candidate for my non-Solero Solero (a.k.a. a heavy tan wool suit.) Dugdale Invincible serge at 14 oz. I even prefer the twill pattern to the classic Solaro herringbone. It would be nice if it was a tad darker, like Solaro. I'll see when the swatch arrives.

Attachments

• dugdale.jpg
    dugdale.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 24

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics