• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
Gladston NY/NJ question ...

Does someone here have experience with Gladston and specifically Carlo Barbera cloth ? Do they provide swatch samples for end customers what is the best way to contact them ? any other sources for Carlo Barbera ?

Thanks!
ALG.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gladston NY/NJ question ...

Does someone here have experience with Gladston and specifically Carlo Barbera cloth ? Do they provide swatch samples for end customers what is the best way to contact them ? any other sources for Carlo Barbera ?

Thanks!
ALG.
Good stuff. No idea if they’ll send samples. I have a 2.5 meter jacket length available on buy & sell.

konstantis

Reaction score
Hi to all the members ? Does anyone has any source for filo di scozia fabric ? I am interested of making some shirts from this type of fabric. Thanks.

Fonz4

Reaction score
Hi to all the members ? Does anyone has any source for filo di scozia fabric ? I am interested of making some shirts from this type of fabric. Thanks.
Has any factory the proper machines to make it?

Well, I always associate filo di Scozia shirts with my traditions.
Back in the 70s in Naples, once spring, men used to wear printed filo di scozia shirts. The printing was like a madder, one of the most famous pattern was small red diamonds with white edges on a navy blue background.
But as far as I know no factory in the world can do this anymore.

konstantis

Reaction score
Has any factory the proper machines to make it?

Well, I always associate filo di Scozia shirts with my traditions.
Back in the 70s in Naples, once spring, men used to wear printed filo di scozia shirts. The printing was like a madder, one of the most famous pattern was small red diamonds with white edges on a navy blue background.
But as far as I know no factory in the world can do this anymore.
I was really hopping to find one source.

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
Best Tweed Herringbone Glenncheck / PoW ?

Budget & marketing aside, who has the best stock of classical fall/winter tweed Herringbone & Glenn Check/Plaid (PoW)?
It may be English, Italian, etc..

Best cloth as at my journey start would be a toned down classical cloth that allows t mix and match broadly yet us interesting in a subtle ways....(e.g. multiple threads, cloud depth, fuzziness vs. softness, etc..). And it should be such that lents itself to unlined tailoring..

And between those 2 motifs, is one easier to match? For instance, Voxsartoria's instagram seems to be marvel of Herringbones, but Glenn Check/ PoW seems to be less and definitely more "particular" as an Italian would say.. Is he trying to tell me something ? ??

I hope for a colorful discussion to learn from.. help me guys..:)

ALG.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to make a single tweed jacket, a herringbone is a more versatile option than a glenplaid.

As for books, what weight are you looking for? If you can handle heavier English tweeds, I'd start with the Harrison's group, especially W. Bill and Porter & Harding.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PoW is grey with a blue overcheck. Herringbone can be any color. Do you mean a grey PoW checked sport coat? I think of PoW as a suit pattern.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Budget & marketing aside, who has the best stock of classical fall/winter tweed Herringbone & Glenn Check/Plaid (PoW)?

Best cloth as at my journey start would be a toned down classical cloth that allows t mix and match broadly yet us interesting in a subtle ways....(e.g. multiple threads, cloud depth, fuzziness vs. softness, etc..). And it should be such that lents itself to unlined tailoring..

And between those 2 motifs, is one easier to match? For instance, Voxsartoria's instagram seems to be marvel of Herringbones, but Glenn Check/ PoW seems to be less and definitely more "particular" as an Italian would say.. Is he trying to tell me something ? ??

ALG.

I think a good amount of Vox's tweeds are London Lounge stuff.

From his tumblr it seems that he purchased some Harris Tweed Herringbones from Butt of Lewis (Callum McClean), I purchased a similar length and am having it made up by the Armoury. I did my first fitting the other day and it is certainly a solid thick tweed

Other than that, I'd check out the W. Bill stuff (from heaviest to lightest - Harris Tweed, Donegal Tweed, Shetland Tweed books)

I've never handled it but Fox Bros also has some great tweed designs as well, but has a fairly high price for non-tailors

Shetterd

Reaction score

ALG.

Loro Piana Sopra Visso has some lovely 10.5-11oz tweed herringbones.

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
PoW is grey with a blue overcheck. Herringbone can be any color. Do you mean a grey PoW checked sport coat? I think of PoW as a suit pattern.
To my best understading PoW has nothing to do with specific colors, fabric material, weight, etc... it is merely a pattern. Per wikipedia - Glen plaid (short for Glen Urquhart plaid), also known as Glenurquhart check or Prince of Wales check, is a woollen fabric with a woven twill design of small and large checks...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To my best understading PoW has nothing to do with specific colors, fabric material, weight, etc... it is merely a pattern. Per wikipedia - Glen plaid (short for Glen Urquhart plaid), also known as Glenurquhart check or Prince of Wales check, is a woollen fabric with a woven twill design of small and large checks...

My understanding is that glen check is this

BRITGL_6305_A01_NEUTRAL_GLEN_CHECK__38781.1562587702.1280.1280.jpg

While PoW is a variation on the glen check, like this

1i25-03_grande.jpeg

In any case, I find glen check and herringbone to be relatively interchangeable as patterns in sport coats. I have both in brown and don't find them to be that different. IMO, the main issue is going to be the base color. But if the base color is the same, I don't see why herringbone vs glen check would make a difference in an outfit.

That said, assuming my view of PoW is correct (glen check with an overcheck), I mostly think of that grey + overcheck pattern as for suits.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckrogers