• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are on to something here.

0.jpg

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of want to make people even more angry and get a black suit jacket with pagoda shoulders to wear in the summer time. 16oz flannel.

Well, you'd certainly make one person angry by doing that.

Yourself.

palodelincak

Reaction score
I'm going to order a navy blue summer suit in Fresco fabric. The jacket will be half lined. I read some posts about that the black canvas is recommended - is it really necessary?

I'm also worried that the white shirt will be visible through trousers. Half lining in summer Fresco trousers is not a good idea?

bamboo

Reaction score

I'm going to order a navy blue summer suit in Fresco fabric. The jacket will be half lined. I read some posts about that the black canvas is recommended - is it really necessary?

I'm also worried that the white shirt will be visible through trousers. Half lining in summer Fresco trousers is not a good idea?

I have grey, navy and RAF blue fresco garments. I was not worried or worried other people by wearing halflined fresco jacket or trousers.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am surprised at the controversy over pBOOTH's endeavor. Surely everyone here knows the look he's going for and can think of a good example of it. It's not MC orthodoxy, but who says bespoke has to be that?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am surprised at the controversy over pBOOTH's endeavor. Surely everyone here knows the look he's going for and can think of a good example of it. It's not MC orthodoxy, but who says bespoke has to be that?

I just think most bespoke tailors aren't that great once you move from non-classic men's clothing. A lot of the stuff I've seen ends up looking a bit dorky.

Most tailors are better thought of as technicians, rather than designers. Designers are often drawing from a large databank of clothes -- maybe archival samples, previous collections, etc. Things from military wear, hunting, avant garde or whatever. Then they take that and make multiple samples. Finish a garment, see what's wrong with it, finish another garment based on those changes. Process can go on for a few iterations.

Tailors don't do that. They finish one garment for you, and if you don't like it, you have to commission another. That's assuming they can (and are willing to) move from classic tailoring. You have to convince them to be able to essentially break from what they think is right, and have been doing for years. I mean, there's that old saying here, "never get a tailor to move from his or her house style." This is essentially that.

But even if you do, you have to be willing to commission multiple iterations (like designer samples) to get it right.

Or you can just buy something off the rack and have that all be done for you, with the price a lot more affordable since the designer is selling hundreds of these things, not just one. Fit doesn't even have to be that precise because it's casualwear.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just think most bespoke tailors aren't that great once you move from non-classic men's clothing. A lot of the stuff I've seen ends up looking a bit dorky.

Most tailors are better thought of as technicians, rather than designers. Designers are often drawing from a large databank of clothes -- maybe archival samples, previous collections, etc. Things from military wear, hunting, avant garde or whatever. Then they take that and make multiple samples. Finish a garment, see what's wrong with it, finish another garment based on those changes. Process can go on for a few iterations.

Tailors don't do that. They finish one garment for you, and if you don't like it, you have to commission another. That's assuming they can (and are willing to) move from classic tailoring. You have to convince them to be able to essentially break from what they think is right, and have been doing for years. I mean, there's that old saying here, "never get a tailor to move from his or her house style." This is essentially that.

But even if you do, you have to be willing to commission multiple iterations (like designer samples) to get it right.

Or you can just buy something off the rack and have that all be done for you, with the price a lot more affordable since the designer is selling hundreds of these things, not just one. Fit doesn't even have to be that precise because it's casualwear.

Sure, sure. But it doesn't invalidate what he's trying to do. It's clear that you wouldn't do it, but I don't think you've really made a case that it's not doable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand this at all. It is exactly the jacket of some of my other summer suits except black. What are you talking about? It is like you can't look past the color. It isn't like I am trying for weird stylistic twists only seen on the runway.

Also after one goes bespoke the feel of those clothes is hard to get away from, IME. An off the rack jacket that tugs and pulls where your others don't just makes you look uncomfortable and shifting around and such.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads