• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fllick

Reaction score
Value? Not sure how you're judging that. Impossible to say without knowing more about you. Or what you're looking for in a fabric.

looking for drape, smooth hand of the cloth, durability (pretty sure I'll never live long enough to find out)
Value in the sense is the drape of the lesser better? or is the hand of the lesser cloth much nicer than the harrison oyster to justify the difference in the cost. Just a comparison of the 2 if you're handled both or commissioned suits from both cloths before. Thanks!

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does a fabric that has "a good hand" mean it's soft/smooth to the touch? I never really understood that phrase, thanks.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looking for drape, smooth hand of the cloth, durability (pretty sure I'll never live long enough to find out)
Value in the sense is the drape of the lesser better? or is the hand of the lesser cloth much nicer than the harrison oyster to justify the difference in the cost. Just a comparison of the 2 if you're handled both or commissioned suits from both cloths before. Thanks! 

You can't go wrong with either one.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of Worsted Alsport 520065 or 520068? Trying to figure out exactly how large the check is.

I believe this is 520068. Coincidentally, I'm having Steed make up a MTM sport coat using it. Just placed the order on Sunday. I considered 520065 but thought it was a bit brighter than what I had in mind.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much.

Little smaller pattern that I was hoping.

Anyone interested in a custom run of the 520068 in a larger-scale check?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I believe this is 520068. Coincidentally, I'm having Steed make up a MTM sport coat using it. Just placed the order on Sunday. I considered 520065 but thought it was a bit brighter than what I had in mind.
Hm, I shot those photos. It's been years, but from very vague memory, I don't think that's 520068. Could be wrong though.
Thanks very much. Little smaller pattern that I was hoping. Anyone interested in a custom run of the 520068 in a larger-scale check?
I might be interested in a slightly larger pattern for the worsted Alsports, but we'd have to agree on a pattern. I could also organize something, as I'm already in touch with HFW about the houndstooth Fresco. Was actually thinking about getting something from that book for my next Steed order.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hm, I shot those photos. It's been years, but from very vague memory, I don't think that's 520068. Could be wrong though.
I might be interested in a slightly larger pattern for the worsted Alsports, but we'd have to agree on a pattern. I could also organize something, as I'm already in touch with HFW about the houndstooth Fresco. Was actually thinking about getting something from that book for my next Steed order.

I'd be down with keeping it similar. Keep it exactly the same, just scale the pattern up a bit.

I'd have a slight preference for the 520068

over the 520065

But would be cool with either colorway.

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Oh, you're right. I saved the pictures from your post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/56404/unfunded-liabilities-a-k-a-the-cloth-thread/4000_50#post_5826606 (should have given you credit!). For some reason I wrote down that it was 520068, but looking through the posts following yours no one was ever able to identify the fabric. I think I probably meant to note that it was close to that Alsport. Having just seen the swatch, I have to say that in person it would be hard to differentiate the two, though I couldn't swear to the scale of the pattern being exactly the same.

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I'm looking for fabric for a casual navy blazer/odd jacket. I would like some interest to the weave like a hopsack or a very pronounced serge. I hope to find something very versatile (maybe like the LL ultimate blazer fabric) and in approximately the same shade and depth of colour like the Minnis 520 fresco. Any recommendations? :)

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, I'm looking for fabric for a casual navy blazer/odd jacket. I would like some interest to the weave like a hopsack or a very pronounced serge. I hope to find something very versatile (maybe like the LL ultimate blazer fabric) and in approximately the same shade and depth of colour like the Minnis 520 fresco. Any recommendations? :)

There's an interesting-looking hopsack in the new Barbera for Lesser collection that I'd like to see more of.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lighter-than-navy hopsack from Drapers and a true navy hopsack from Caccioppoli. Both are great.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member