• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UNCOMFORTABLE SHOULDER? forward shoulders

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the tailor you use has made jackets it isn't that difficult for them even though it's a difficult alteration. If they only have done alterations they may not know what to do or how to do it.
MTM depends on the maker and if they have the capability to do anything for prominent blades besides make the back wider which isn't the optimal fix. You may need the same adjustment done on a MTM garment.
Plaid jacket looks fine. Bigger won't make it fit better.
If you want to do an experiment, pinch the shoulder about a half inch double to lift the jacket up and off your shoulder, then move your arms forward. If you can't do this your self, ask someone to raise the jacket, lift it straight up. about 1/2" or 3/4" and move your arms. Should give you more freedom/range of movement.

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Bringing this thread up for one of its regular resurrections.

i have a few suits which fit ok in terms of shoulder width but feel constricting for my rounded shoulders.However, although the ends of my shoulder clearly push forward at the armhole the main source of discomfort is either side of the neck where the collar feels like it cuts into my neck. This could be just a tight collar as a result of me having a disproportionately wide neck vs chest/shoulder size (17.5" shirt collar, 40" suit size). There is also pulling at the lower back of the armholes.

does anyone know if the alteration discussed in this thread (straighten shoulders) is what I should be requesting? @Despos

if not, what else? I tend to not have a problem if I size up but then the shoulders and upper chest are all wrong.

finally, does shifting the shoulders make any different to front-back balance. The balance is just about OK at the moment but I wouldn’t want to make the fronts much shorter.

Last edited:

SDW

Reaction score
Wondering if I have same issue?
I'm seeking some advice on what might be wrong with my MTM suit jacket.
To my opinion it opens up too much to the front at the front-bottom.
At first the waist seemed to be too small, but even though this has been enlarged now, the issue persists.
I'm pretty sure the waist is ok now. I can fit my fist between my stomach and the button of the jacket, so I definitely a 2 inches of room .
I'm wondering if something should be changed at the area of the shoulder to bring the front lower and closer to my body.
According to the tailor it's because the fabric of the satin it tougher then the suit's fabric itself, pulling it up. But that doesn't solve the fit of course...
Your opinion would be much appreciated!
I'm attaching some pictures for reference.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Capt.png
    Capt.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Waist enlarged.jpg
    Waist enlarged.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 41

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics