• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

godizdead

Reaction score

Where are you? The climate makes a big difference. You mentioned Red Wing, and L.L.Bean makes a boot that looks kind of like Red Wings (the "cinnamon" color that they had last year looked better, in my opinion): http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65627?page=maine-lodge-boots-moc-toe If suitable for your climate, you can't go wrong with Bean boots: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179?page=bean-boots-by-llbean-8
I'm in Tallahassee it get's as low as the 20s i think (my first year here) and it's pretty rainy

Anyone else have any recommendations on boots? I'd love to weigh all options before buying.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm in Tallahassee it get's as low as the 20s i think (my first year here) and it's pretty rainy

Anyone else have any recommendations on boots? I'd love to weigh all options before buying.
If you go back a page or ten, someone posted a link to some Timberland boots. Really good, IMO, if they'd just lose the heel logo. EDIT: Maybe that was in the quick questions thread. Any case, here's one for $185:
pTBL1-7900193v275.jpg
http://shop.timberland.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=4026604 ...go two pages back, to the bottom of 265, and someone posted two more in the same price range.

Last edited:

Max_Yeah_True

Reaction score
I need a new wallet and want a pretty good belt for jeans/chinos.. ive no clue where to look though. any recommendations? :)

eternaldrake

Reaction score

I need a new wallet and want a pretty good belt for jeans/chinos.. ive no clue where to look though. any recommendations? :)

for both I'd recommend getting one made by some of the posters on here or sufu that do leatherwork, such as unlucky / hollow / zissou / corter. i have a card holder and and vegtan belt by corter and an oxblood belt by zissou and all 3 are fantastic [especially the oxblood belt]. For belts you can also look into Equus Leather, forum affiliate, seem like quality belts for a good price http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/equus-leather-bridle-leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread . really want to get one of the bottle green ones myself

Max_Yeah_True

Reaction score

for both I'd recommend getting one made by some of the posters on here or sufu that do leatherwork, such as unlucky / hollow / zissou / corter. i have a card holder and and vegtan belt by corter and an oxblood belt by zissou and all 3 are fantastic [especially the oxblood belt]. For belts you can also look into Equus Leather, forum affiliate, seem like quality belts for a good price http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/equus-leather-bridle-leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread . really want to get one of the bottle green ones myself

thanks man! i checked out zissou's belts. i really like them and i think ill get one in british tan.

but card holders - heres the thing im a teenager so i still want to hold some coins. anything else you recommend? where could i look? also whats the point of having bills if you cant hold coins?

or can it still hold coins in that pocket?

eternaldrake

Reaction score

thanks man! i checked out zissou's belts. i really like them and i think ill get one in british tan.
but card holders - heres the thing im a teenager so i still want to hold some coins. anything else you recommend? where could i look? also whats the point of having bills if you cant hold coins?

or can it still hold coins in that pocket?

dont most people just keep coins in their pockets? either way just looking at hollows stuff he has a card case / coin pouch listed http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowsleather/2922770432/ [this is from a 3 year old post mind you but he does custom commissions so im sure you could order one if thats what youre looking for]

Max_Yeah_True

Reaction score
:embar: the wallet ive had for the most of my life had a coin pocket so ive always used that. ermm i could find corters and zissous shops, but cant find any thread for unlucky/hollow.

nvm, found it!

Last edited:

Fischschleim PhD.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more classy wool winter coat.
I am 19, college student, 5'6", thin 130lbs. (More like 5'7(1/2)" in my Doc Martens (lol) )
Might this be a good idea, or should I look more towards a peacoat style?

http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stor.../zara-us-W2011/119501/389097/HERRINGBONE+COAT

And I would go with a size small, of course. I would think the herringbone might help to give illusion of height.
I don't feel like going to a store, since it's so inconvenient to do so, and I'm at school. So, I would just order it, and hope I like it.

thank you.

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fisch-That looks horrible. and you want a winter coat, that one is only 30% wool in the exterior. Horribly overpriced, all mall brand stuff is.

If I were you, I'd save up some more and look into a pre-owned TOJ peacoat on B&S. Probably be able to get one for about $250-$300, it will look WORLDS better than that and it will be thick wool. of if you REALLY save up, you can buy one straight from TOJ for around $500. It will be completely made to measure so it will fit you like a glove. Not sure what your budget is looking like though. Outerwear is one of the things you want to spend the most money on though, it's a staple of your wardrobe.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fischschleim PhD.

Reaction score
Now I really wasn't looking to spend that much at all.
But there it is again, 'save your money'...
And I agree that's probably a better idea, though I don't have any income, as a college student right now.
I guess I might be able to survive through winter with my h&m rain jacket layered with my (well fitted) college sweatshirt for now...
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads